1st print AD&D mono modules
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:31 pm 

I've got a run of these that I've been thinking of selling off.  I have no idea what they go for individually these days, and haven't been tracking them on ebay.  Any guesses, ballpark?  Somewhere in the range of $10 - $40 each? They're all in quite excellent condition  :D .

Thanks, guys.

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:47 pm 

Haven't come across any 1st prints lately, but other prints I've been able to pick up for about $7 or $8 a copy (VG-FN condition), which is a drop in price. I recall having problems getting them at $12-14 a year ago. I'd imagine 1st prints are having similar problems, though probably less of a drop.

I hope you put them up for sale here first. I might consider picking up a copy or two.  :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:06 pm 

I've been paying about $20-30 for G and D series.  I think the others were less, but I've had them longer, so I don't recall exactly.

I'm down to one missing to complete the group, so I too would be interested if you'd offer them here.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:20 pm 

Agree with the guys above.
Assuming Mint condition...

Mono modules in the "G" Series always do very well.
They can get to $30 and beyond fairly easily.

T1 tops around $25.

D1/D2/D3 also in that range.

S1/S2 at around $15-$20

C1 is pretty common yet overpriced most times... you might get around $25 for a mint copy in a regular auction.
You can see BINs all day from $25-$40...
I would never pay that much and the copies I have I got for much less.

B1 never seems to garner much of a price.
They are of course the most common.
I recently bought a MINT copy in Shrink Wrap for under $20 and that was in a regular auction.
Yet I see BINs for Mono B1s at $25-$40 all the time and some are tattered too. :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:22 pm 

I know I'd be interested in some of them, but I forget which ones I still need. :(

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:54 pm 

No reason why excellent condition lizard Gs shouldn't be $50-75 each, IMO: they have sold for that in the past and are still very much underrated. Copies do slip the net from time-to-time but very rarely in the higher grades.
The same applies to lesser degree to the others, of course...

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:21 pm 

I think $40 for the G's and maybe a bit less for the D's. For excellent condition ones, higher depending on who is bidding!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:29 pm 

Yeah reading all these evaluations sounds to me like the lizard G's especially are being underrated.  I paid $160ish for a very nice set from bclarkie at one point, and I thought that was on the cheap side.  Turned out to be very nice copies - almost minty.  These are the first TSR published mods with very iconic imagery ...demand is only going to increase.  I would venture to say other monos are also underrated slightly.  So $50 min for the G's, $40 min for D's & T, $30 for the others at least, assuming NM or Fine condition.

Who says my inspiration was D&D?  That was just a background phenomenon.
                                          -- Ken St. Andre

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:13 am 

Problem is the wild fluctuation on ebay right now. You could do very well, or you can get hosed.
Lizard G in EXC shape should go for around $50 each. You could do better or you could do much worse. Mono Gs (2nd+) can be had for less than $10 - which is a big drop.
But, Lizard G does not come around too often, so it should get plenty of attention.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:42 am 

bbarsh wrote:Problem is the wild fluctuation on ebay right now. You could do very well, or you can get hosed.
Lizard G in EXC shape should go for around $50 each. You could do better or you could do much worse. Mono Gs (2nd+) can be had for less than $10 - which is a big drop.
But, Lizard G does not come around too often, so it should get plenty of attention.

My feeling about recent sales of mono AD&D modules is the same : it can end high or very low, even for such mythic modules. Those were in excellent condition, rather rare in so good condition and 1st print for each of them.

Finally, prices ended high, very high for some of them like S1 and apart from G modules that are generally more expensive and more easy to recognize as first print due to their lizard logo, all other ended at an higher price than I expected. Probably the double result of a well known seller and Acaeum's member with a good reputation and an excellent and well timed post here with a discussion in the forum.

G1  $95
G2  $78
G3  $79
D1  $54       
D2  $50
D3  $52
S1  $64
S2  $39
T1  $43

In comparaison, D1 SW mint copy was recently sold for $65 on Ebay, D2 SW $41 and D3 $33 but they were not first print ..

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:02 am 

Was waiting to see if those final results might be posted; thanks! :)
(OT to here, but Misty going above $300 was also a decent result since that could easily have been dragged down by other lower results for more run-of-the-mill copies in the past year or two. R2 going $250+, too...).

Agreed; S1 did seem high, even if I suspect I don't have a first print here. :)
No problem revising the Gs to $75-90, though, especially if the listings here made that distinction and for the UK/Oz prints.

> In comparaison, D1 SW mint copy was recently sold for $65 on Ebay, D2 SW $41 and D3 $33 but they were not first print ...

Had forgotten to query that you didn't have the printings identified on those SW'd Ds and still curious to see what the end result might be for such for the UK prints.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:28 am 

dwarf wrote:
G1  $95
G2  $78
G3  $79
D1  $54       
D2  $50
D3  $52
S1  $64
S2  $39
T1  $43

FWIW, I bought them all from the same seller years ago, along with some other items, all of which were in outstanding condition.  He was the original owner, and dabbled in developing a computer adaptation of D&D back when the 8086 was new.  Needless to say, it didn't pan out, but apparently he was in extensive correspondence with EGG and Arneson throughout the process.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:40 am 

No letters, Stephen? :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:53 am 

Unfortunately, no, and I can't even remember his name.  :(

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:11 am 

Pity... That would've been good to have had an angle onto given EGG's (somewhat belated, IMO) comments in The Dragon.
Some letters are definitely more "of interest" than others with regards to the bigger picture.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:40 am 

Congratulations on those prices.  I've been buying these up recently, and haven't paid over $30-35 for any of those (in nice shape, but not as crispy clean as yours) over the last 6-9 months.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:46 am 

In case anyone is interested I won all but two of those (S1 and T1).  The S1 went higher than I anticipated and most of the others were at about what I hoped to pay, with the G1 at the top end of what I was prepared to pay.

My willingness to pay high prices was as a result of the great condition, the ease of picking them all up from one seller* and the fact that seller was a reputable member here.

I hope that doesn't seem like I am trying to justify what I paid, I'm very happy (or at least I will be when they arrive), I just thought I would confirm people's suspicions.

*I'm in the UK and these are rarer here and buying from the US has postage costs so getting a number in one fell swoop makes sense financially as well as being convenient (I am lazy). :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:55 pm 

And by way of update, the modules arrived today and I am very very pleased.  They are in excellent condition,much better than I had hoped.  I am just disappointed I didn't win the other two (although G1-3 and D1-3 were my primary objectives).

Many thanks Stephen!

Next