One for the 'old timers'... Rubic of Moggedon panels
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:43 pm 

Hi,

'Imagine' magazine ran a cartoon strip called 'Rubic of Moggedon' - basically the adventures of a 'Fat Freddy'-type cat in 'D&D-land' (I know - sounds weird now :-) ). Each of the episodes was drawn on a card panel which was then scanned for insert into the magazine.

Not really sure where to start on valuing these but in case anyone might be able to help I have scanned a couple:

http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... 0Moggedon/

I know the item is probably best described as 'odd' but I would be interested to find out what sort of value something like this might have.

Thanks in advance.

J

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:50 pm 

Ace stuff this - I think I prefer it more now as a 40 year old than I did back in the day.

So are these original art or something else, and what's your connection (if any?) to them?

(I'm only in Burnham by the way, so you're only up the road - I could pop over with a fiver if you like :lol:  :wink: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:05 pm 

(Read the other thread so ignore the idiot question about your connection!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 am 

gyg wrote:(Read the other thread so ignore the idiot question about your connection!)

I'm good at that too, mate...
These could be anything from a few quid to a hundred maybe, (total guesstimate) as they are original comic art, which from memory had a mixed reaction when first printed.
I'll make it £4.50 purely on the basis I have slightly further to travel..

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:39 am 

Hi gyg,

Anything based on 'Fat Freddies Cat' running around in plate mail gets my vote too, though for some of the story you might have to wonder what the artist/writer were using recreationally  :) .

The panels are the originals, drawn by the artist on card art-boards.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:41 am 

Hiya,

unfortunately the only way to gauge the value of a unique item is to sell it...  

Ebay
Gencon Indy Auction
UK Dragonmeet Auction

Or decide on a price you want for it and advertise it at that fixed price.

Good luck with them!

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:52 am 

lawrenson wrote:Hiya,

unfortunately the only way to gauge the value of a unique item is to sell it...  

Ebay
Gencon Indy Auction
UK Dragonmeet Auction

Or decide on a price you want for it and advertise it at that fixed price.

Good luck with them!

Cheers,
Malc

There are a couple ways to sell. You can guestemate a price you want for it and set it as a reserve then start with a low min bid and see how close it gets to the reserve price.

You cam guestemate a high price and set it as a buy it now. if it doesn't sell you can lower the price (a Dutch auction).

You can gamble and set a low min bid and see what it goes for. (The problem with this is that auctions can be very fickle and some valuable items can sell for a song and then be resold much higher.

If you start high you can always reduce (and you can include a make an offer option). But if you start low you might end up selling it for much less than you felt it was worth.

It comes down to how much you value the item and what your part with price is going to be. If it sells for more than that price, then it is gravy.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:42 am 

If there were still a good sized gaming/fantasy art auction over here then it wouldn't be so much of a problem working out a fair value for unusual items.

The GC UK Saturday night (may it rip) used to be a great way of judging the UK market. Unfortunately there isn't really a replacement for that any more. Did the Dragonmeet one a couple of years back and tbh was surprised at the limited numbers there. Dragonmeet itself is great - loads of action/people enjoying themselves but the auction isn't a major part of the event.

'How to' isn't so much the problem, its more about getting an idea as to what something like this might be worth - wouldn't have the first idea as to what a fair guesstimate would be for these.

J

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:37 am 

Alternatively, put them in the Classifieds here and listen to offers. It might give you a gauge to start with.
It is unique artwork after all, with reliable history :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:35 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion 'ashmire' - sounds like a plan.

Might end up swamping it with the amount of odd 'stuff' lying around but definitely a plan  :)

J

Last edited by shott on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:30 pm 

Well dont worry about that, as any UK TSR will be well sought after, I'd say.
Imagine was a great mag and lead the early way over here by my recollections of my brothers role-playing group in the late 70's early 80's...

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:16 pm 

I seem to recall a couple of Tom Wham original cartoon strips selling at Gencon not long ago - within the last 2 or 3 years. They were the originals for a couple of full or half page strips that he did for Dragon - I think one was a one-off featuring a small party of adventurers in a jungle type setting, and the other was a strip he did related to AGTFOS, Floating in Timeless Space or perhaps Outside the Znutar. From memory each sold in the region of $300. I would guess that original cartoon art from Imagine would get something approaching that - maybe not quite that much depending on whether the artist is as well known as Tom, but you could reasonably expect $150-200 I would say.

I'd venture to say that pretty much all your odd stuff is going to be worh something - generally, the odder it is, the more valuable it will be. My suggestion would be to do a big 'collection' type sale, in the style of how Paul Stormberg handled selling off large quantities of relics from luminaries such as Ernie Gygax, Steve Marsh, Tim Jiardini etc. Specifically:

- Collate everything
- Find out as much provenance about each piece as possible
- List it all on ebay in separate lots
- Make sure you emphasise the history of each lot (the TSR-UK/Imagine connections will boost the price significantly)
- Advertise the sale on as many boards as you can (Acaeum, Dragonsfoot, Tomes & Treasures etc)
- Time the auctions to finish at a time suitable to North American buyers.

Otherise, do as Ashmire suggests - list what you have in the classifieds and ask for offers. For items like you have, coming up with a dollar value for each will be too difficult - the only way to gauge it would be to offer it for sale and see what you're offered. On ebay you're committed to then sell, but here you can ask for offers and then decide whether or not to part with it.

Hope this helps...

Regards

Mike

Demand of them whither they should comme to devide the worlde with the Emperour? And as they answered, he tooke up his shirte behinde and shewed them his buttocks, sayenge unto them, drawe your Lyne throughe the middest of *this* place.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:45 pm 

Some excellent advice Mike (et al) and thanks for it.

Been out of the 'game' for a while and still trying to sort out some of the really odd stuff at the mo (product advertising transparencies for example... Now just why did I pick up a bunch of them? TSR UK's Certificate of Incorporation??). Once I have a handle on it I think the idea of popping some of it up in the 'Classified' would work best for me.

Cheers for all the assistance and suggestions and also for the 'community' trip down memory lane. As much of my collection was based around the RPGA UK, GC UK and the auctions there its been a fun trip going through this lot.  :)

J