Ptolus - City by the Spire - Monty Cook - Book only
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:01 pm 

As my wife was making me do my "once every three years" cleaning, somehow I ended up with a copy of the big book and 1 copy of the players guide. No envelope of goodies to go with it (atleast not that I've found).  Any ideas on worth? Anyone on here interested in it? Should I just put it up on the shelves with the other goodies? Let me know. Thanks!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:10 pm 

I would say at least $150 for just the Ptolus book.  Complete copies have been going for $200 or more recently.

Players Guide?  Ten bucks...maybe.  If you decide to sell, just toss the Players Guide in with the main book.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:36 pm 

The Ptolus is chocked full of gaming goodness. (I actually had my copy out tonight looking at the contents of the envelope. :))  Obviously most collectors will want a 'complete' item; however, people who want it strictly for gaming will not be as concerned with the missing envelope.  Since the outlay for this book was much higher than your typical RPG item, I suspect most books will be found with their envelopes.  The chances of finding an orphaned envelope later are awfully slim, but stranger things have happened. :)

With that being said, I cannot see most people paying more than $100 for the book.

(Hope you can locate the envelope.)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:38 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:The Ptolus is chocked full of gaming goodness. (I actually had my copy out tonight looking at the contents of the envelope. :))  Obviously most collectors will want a 'complete' item; however, people who want it strictly for gaming will not be as concerned with the missing envelope.  Since the outlay for this book was much higher than your typical RPG item, I suspect most books will be found with their envelopes.  The chances of finding an orphaned envelope later are awfully slim, but stranger things have happened. :)

With that being said, I cannot see most people paying more than $100 for the book.

(Hope you can locate the envelope.)

More important than the envelope if the CD. EVerything in the envelope can be printed from the CD, but the CD is filled with hundreds of pages of bonus material.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:47 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
More important than the envelope if the CD. EVerything in the envelope can be printed from the CD, but the CD is filled with hundreds of pages of bonus material.

Good point.  With a CD you could reproduce the other items and restore the contents to a complete but not original state thereby increasing the resale value somewhat.  Still not much more than $100 I would think.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:46 pm 

Hello,  I have a Ptolus question (and this thread is sort of on topic)...

Here's an auction for a Ptolus signed & numbered on the title page:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I have one opened copy - no signature or number.

I have one SW copy that appears identical from the outside.  

Any info of how the numbering came to be and if they were in anyway limited as the #335/1000 would imply?

And is there any way to tell if the SW copy is numbered without opening it?

Thanks in advance!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:57 pm 

It makes me wonder how many copies were printed.  For the original price tag, I would have guessed between 1000-5000.

The signed copies may have been the pre-orders ones (bought and paid for before it shipped out).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 pm 

Thanks Mars :)

Would you think there's any chance of a signed/numbered *and* shrink-wrapped version... if so, any way to tell if a SW book is signed?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:00 am 

I believe these were originally shipped as part of a boxed presentation, along with a number of other freebies and a CD. Book only means the rest of the package is missing. It was the box that was shrinkwrapped, not the book itself.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.