Woodgrain 1st print
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:43 pm 

If I had it, I'd easily pay $3k for a 1st print. It would look great next to the 2nd print.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:46 pm 

Bracton wrote:True, but it truly looked mint, and was accompanied by a signed letter from EGG.  Given the purchaser, I suspect the presence of the letter added quite a bit to the final sale price.

Crossed messages... kinda guessed that would follow. ;)
"Nice to have" but a generic letter (have you seen an unsigned one?) is a generic letter: an addition rather than a multiplier, I'd've thought. A letter along with an /early/ signed copy to a known wargaming, etc., personage might've been more "of note" although other people would complain that devalued the books. :)

What value a letter from EGG discussing D&D rules before they were published, or first contact with Judges Guild (before they were formed), say?

02c, anyhow ^^

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 pm 

I don't disagree that the letter shouldn't have added quite that much value to the set . . . but I suspect that Paul was willing to pay more (and maybe a lot more) because of the letter, and the fact that it had accompanied the set when originally sold.

Needless to say, it only takes two to make an auction.  But there was a pretty far drop in the bidding price after Paul and the other Acaeum member who made him pay up for it.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:07 pm 

*nods* Two visible at around $3,800 & $4,200.

Not wishing to lose can be an expensive business when there's one other person with a /lot/ of money burning a hole in their pocket. Easy to get carried away with that, I guess, for those who do. :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:30 am 

Eruantien wrote:I have one for sale that a prominent member here can verify (don't want to name drop unless he doesn't mind). Anyways, it's damn near mint with some interesting indications that it is an early 1st print. My selling price is $3k though

I'll vouch for that, and would say that's a very fair price.

Let mirth prevail!

Previous