Runequest Stuff?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:52 am 

Does anyone here have a handle on what DragonQuest stuff (old SPI, not the later TSR) sells for?

I have the 1st edition (1980) DragonQuest books (First Book of DragonQuest - Character Generation, Combat; Second Book of DragonQuest - Magic; Third Book of DragonQuest - Skills, Monsters, Adventure) and a 1st edition GameMaster's Screen.  No box or anything like that, just the rule books and screen, but all unused and in Excellent (+/-) Condition.

It seems like I see a lot of SPI DragonQuest (2nd edition) auctions with really high initial bids and no takers, so that doesn't give me any useful information.  And I haven't noticed any 1st edition auctions in the time I've been watching.  Should I hope for a decent sale or are those who are posting those high initial bids dreaming?

(I know - this is pushing the limits of what this boards purpose is, but its all related genres and TSR even ended up with the DragonQuest license after a while).

On an only somewhat related note:  What about a copy of The Chivalry and Sorcery Sourcebook (1978/ orange cover printing) in rough shape.  (The binding glue has let loose, so many of the pages are no longer glued to the spine, but all pages are there.  If still bound, it would probably be roughly 'Good' condition, but hardly makes the grade as it stands).  Any value of an item in this condition for anyone?

Carl

edited to remove an erroneous reference to Rune rather than DragonQuest.  I do mean the DragonQuest stuff (I also have a runequest book but it has nothing to do with this question).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:22 am 

The Dragonquest books originally came boxed, right?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:25 am 

Hi, are you confusing the Runequest and Dragonquest systems with one another?  The Runequest stuff is fairly valuable if you consider the early Chaosium releases, although the later Avalon Hill reprints are spotty.  Dragonquest was SPI.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:48 am 

The Dragon/RuneQuest confusion has been edited away.  Sorry for the typo.

Regarding:  Boxed or not.

It was definately released as a boxed set.  Greg Costikiyan's site ( http://www.costik.com/spicom/index.html ) lists it as 1ABX (1" Accordion Box).    However, the DragonQuest Canonical Index v 2.0 says it was released as both a boxed AND as a bagged game.  So it is possible that there never was a box to go with these - I don't know/ recall.

Carl