Games Workshop Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 1986 hb
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:49 pm 

This should be an easy one, but there is so much information on Warhammer out there that I am confused.  Came across this massive hardback:

Games Workshop, 1986, 368 numbered pages.

Cornerwear, plus small tear at bottom of spine edge on back.  Otherwise all good.

Does anyone know if this is a first print?

Any clue about value? I've seen everything from $2 up, but can't find this exact book.

Thanks!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:01 am 

I believe this is the first printing of the WFRP rulebook.  Tome of Treasures shows an ISBN number that matches the one in this recent auction (no pics though):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0647190238

Same page count, same publication date, same artwork as the one you have.  As for value, most of the rulebooks I see on Ebay are softcover.  Most of the ones that I happen across seem to hover around the $10 - $15 mark when I bid on them.  They usually go for about $6 when I dont.  :roll:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:42 am 

Thanks, kop!  Appreciate the help.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 am 

I have mine listed as a 1st in my Excel file list, course also have the soft cover version but with no printing info.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:03 am 

The hardcover is the first printing.  There were two softcover editions (one by GW, one by Hogshead).

Value is realistically in the $10-20 range, but WFRP can go all over the place.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 pm 

Another first Print just went for $17.00 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-Warhammer-Fant ... ltDomain_0

It seem as if the prices of this book have come down considerably since the new edition has come out.  This book used to sell for $40 and up.  Also, the first print has been known to have spine issues, the pages seem to come loose rather easily similar to the Realms of Chaos books.

The second printing of WFRP (GW or Hogshead) by the way goes for next to nothing now.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:41 pm 

NMilty wrote:Another first Print just went for $17.00 on Ebay.

** expired eBay auction **

This is the same one that I already posted above.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:06 pm 

On a tangent, I have the GW/Citadel lead miniature of the M-User in the background.

Whatever the content, I'd probably buy this book, purely for the artwork and memories of seeing it advertised in WD for the first time! :lol:

Picked up a few old gaming items like that recently, things I wanted to play/have as a kid but couldn't.  8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:51 pm 

It can be somewhat difficult to find a hardcover version in good shape. The spine and binding does not appear to be the greatest, given the relatively large size of the book. Also, I am not sure, but I think the European version comes with a dust jacket (again, I am not sure if that is the case, but it is what I was told by hardcore Warhammer collectors) which would make that version somewhat even more rare (complete, anyway.) I have two of these, one beat to hell and the other pretty good (not anywhere near near mint) and I paid a bit to get them simply because the hardcovers don't seem to show up on eBay very often (maybe they do, but I just miss them) and then, when they are there, a price war breaks out over them... so, I'd say the price you could probably expect to get for a resale is $25-45, or maybe even higher. Warhammer stuff gets weird when its sold.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:02 pm 

serleran wrote:Also, I am not sure, but I think the European version comes with a dust jacket (again, I am not sure if that is the case, but it is what I was told by hardcore Warhammer collectors) which would make that version somewhat even more rare (complete, anyway.)

I've never heard of this, nor am I aware of any WFRP/WFB having a dust jacket.  I'm inclined to doubt this.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:28 pm 

Some of the books, like Inquis Exterminatus, come with a dust jacket... but those tend to be "special" books, so I would be inclined to agree that it is unlikely that normal, ordinary RPG books would have them. Perhaps I am misremembering what I was told... which could be wrong information anyway, but worth looking into (I think) to verify or quell.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:28 pm 

I also have never heard of any dustjackets for WFRP and I have been playing/collecting it since the late eighties.