Fair price for Dungeon Magazine on almost-full run
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Active Collector

Posts: 13
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2013

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:30 pm 
 

Hi everyone. I have an opportunity to secure a collection of about 95% of a full run from Dungeon 1-81. The seller is still pulling magazines and checking availability but it looks like he'll have maybe issues 5-81.

What sort of value would you place on such a collection? I've seen a run of 40 Dungeon mags (15-55 or so) go for a little over $100 not including shipping, but I can't get a handle on what would be fair for a larger collection.

Thanks,

North

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3424
Joined: May 30, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 19, 2021
Location: USA Georgia

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:27 pm 
 

Northwest wrote:Hi everyone. I have an opportunity to secure a collection of about 95% of a full run from Dungeon 1-81. The seller is still pulling magazines and checking availability but it looks like he'll have maybe issues 5-81.

What sort of value would you place on such a collection? I've seen a run of 40 Dungeon mags (15-55 or so) go for a little over $100 not including shipping, but I can't get a handle on what would be fair for a larger collection.

Thanks,

North


$200.00 is not unreasonable, but it all depends on condition.  If everything is minty and bagged, it'd be worth more.  If they have tears and writing, it would be worth a lot less.  Also, if you are very patient, you could get it for less, but one of the advantages of a bulk sale like this is your shipping costs go way down.  I personally believe Dungeon Magazines are a great value for the money, especially these earlier issues.  This is all my opinion.   8)


Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2552
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2021
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:37 pm 
 

The hardest to find (and thus priciest) issues are 1-6, so if those are present, it helps a lot.


Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3424
Joined: May 30, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 19, 2021
Location: USA Georgia

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:52 pm 
 

TheHistorian wrote:The hardest to find (and thus priciest) issues are 1-6, so if those are present, it helps a lot.


It's true that 1-6 are indeed the priciest, but I actually had the hardest time finding issues from about 70 to about 85.  Maybe that was just me.  :?


Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6070
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:32 pm 
 

After almost completing my collection of Dungeons, I decided to sell most of them (aqgain).  Issues #1-6 are generally around $25-$30 each and then 7+ I would charge $3 an issue.  So the total would be about $275.

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2552
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2021
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:20 pm 
 

benjoshua wrote:
It's true that 1-6 are indeed the priciest, but I actually had the hardest time finding issues from about 70 to about 85.  Maybe that was just me.  :?


No, some of those are a pain to find, but they still don't sell for much.  I'd agree with Mars' numbers  - that's about right.


Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

  


Active Collector

Posts: 13
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2013

Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:13 am 
 

Thank you benjoshua, TheHistorian and Mars. I sincerely appreciate your collective wisdom :D

 WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1