Old Fanzines/ Magazine - The Apprentice
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:21 am 

I have recently started an Ebay account to start clearing out some old RPG magazines and other stuff (so I can buy all new stuff, of course).  :D

One of the items I have are five issues (Issues #2 to #6) of "The Apprentice" (subtitle: The Canadian Magazine of Mediaeval Fantasy Gaming), published in 1978 and 1979.  (I don't think I have any other issues, but who knows what will emerge from the boxes....)

I would call them very good to excellent condition, although I will probably try to get someone else's opinion on quality before I list them on Ebay - but I haven't a clue as to what they would be worth.  I noticed in the other thread that some of you have bid on (and purchased) such items in the past and wondered if you could give me an idea as to what I should expect to sell them for (and how active the bidding was on such items in the past).

Thanks.

Carl

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:15 am 

HI Carl, There are a couple of us here that collect Old zines (me is one;) LOL, there was at one stage one of the sellers (forgotten her handle on ebay) she was selling off old stock from her husbands store , she sold several issues 2-5 several times, this is were I got mine from, can't remember what I paid but not a great deal, the problem with non mainstream D&D stuff is that there is a small but competitive market, those that want them are few and once they get them the market dries up a lot overall around $5us per zine is a good start, I have paid over $15us for zines, it just happens who is bidding and how far they want to go...

Brette:)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:43 am 

Thanks for the info.  I'll just have to give it a shot on Ebay, probably with a reserve and hope I get lucky and someone wants it.  Of course - if I had gotten organized a bit quicker I could have tried to sell it at Gen Con...

Carl

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:28 am 

I'm sure the auctioneers would have given you at least $1 each for them.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:19 pm 

Hi Syrsuro -

As Brett said, one seller on ebay had a few lots of issues 2-5 a while back - comicsrus. From memory she has a large lot of gaming supplies left over from her husband's store.

Unlike more mainstream stuff where you can get a pretty good idea of worth from previous auctions, zines fluctuate wildly. You can list them for $5 and get no bids one week, when the next two bidders can push the price up to $25. Impossible to predict how they'll go. But if you can find more issues from 7 onwards, I'd be confident they'd fetch a healthy price.

Regards

Mike

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:33 pm 

Same here, we got issues 2-5 from Comicsrus for less than $1 each. The 1st issue must be very rare though, haven't ever seen one for sale. #6 might get some money considering it looks like several of us need it.

Shawn

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:07 pm 

On a related question then  - as experienced Ebay collectable bidders and sellers - would you recommend I split an item like that up into separate auctions or sell them as a single lot?  

The same question would also apply to lots of other things.  When I get around to selling Dragon and Dungeon issues I'll probably do them all as lots just because I don't want to list 100s of auctions.  But things like early (example #s 13 - 17) issues of Polyhedron or issues 1-4 of Gryphon have the same dilemma.

Carl

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:45 am 

I have a couple of other magazines about which I am having problems finding information (most of the rest of what I have are magazines about which I can at least find information - Pegasus, Gryphon, Dungeoneer, Adventure Gaming, etc).

The two most elusive magazines are:

Role Player Independant #8  1993 (Excellent Condition/ NM - includes looseleaf subscription insert).  Symbiosis Publishing, Ltd., Worcester.

Magic & Steel (Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine)#0 (vol 1. Issue 0., Spring Preview Issue) 1991.  (Excellent Condition).  Appears to be a preliminary issue published by Magic & Steel Literary and Graphic Design (probably to attract contributors and advertisers).  Only 12 pages, black and white, includes a page of comics, a review of the SSI computer games and a couple pieces of original fiction.  Not a fanzine because it has advertisers.  Note - one of the fiction pieces  is by Keith Winkler (then 18  ) who I am 99% sure is the same Keith Winkler who later worked for White Wolf and has a few other credits besides.  (I sent him an email to see if it was his work)

So - any guesses what this kind of stuff might be worth?

Carl

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:26 am 

burntwire wrote:Same here, we got issues 2-5 from Comicsrus for less than $1 each. The 1st issue must be very rare though, haven't ever seen one for sale. #6 might get some money considering it looks like several of us need it.

Shawn

I've seen Issue 1 sold once in a lot (which I lost, sniped again;) Role Player Independant #8 isn't worth a lot unfortunatly and never heard of Magic and Steel, it sounds more like a fantasy short story sort of mag, not really rpg rules mag/zine

Brette:)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:33 am 

I've seen copies of Dungeoneer issues 1 through six or so go for good money---$50+ each IIRC.  They're much harder to find than later issues.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:58 am 

I have issues 1-7 in great condition.  If anyone is interested in purchasing these, please email me at [email protected]

I have pictures to send as well.

Thanks.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:23 pm 

(But only Dungeoneer #1-6... #7 and 8 are "uncommon", perhaps; but thereafter no more than $3 each (M))

Carl,

May I ask a question?

You say that you're gonna "buy all new stuff, of course". By that, do you mean new, first-hand stuff, or new, old/collectable stuff?

If the latter, and there's the slightest chance that what you're thinking of selling now might be of interest to yourself in future, my first response would be "don't sell".

With regard selling single items vs. complete sets of a given title, a lot depends on desirability (both of number 1 and the series as a whole). The more desirable, the better the likelihood that it would be better to sell as individual lots and/or small groupings (even allowing for eBay charges).
For example, with a nice run of White Dwarves (*pointing to other thread*), selling #1 - 20 individually followed by 21-60 in groups of five, etc. might be best (even with the lower value groups, someone might bid up on the basis of needing one or two issues, only).
However, this is obviously more difficult with magazines that only has short runs... (Or indeed, less desirable titles where there might be a need to clump together various titles along with one or two "nicer" items in the hope of a hook).

Anyhow; just a few thoughts, fwiw, from someone who's not a seller!

David.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:05 pm 

Mostly to buy new stuff, not more old stuff.  I frankly never set out to be a collector of Old D&D Stuff.  I just compulsively bought lots and lots of stuff back in the day, and although I still consider myself a D&D player (as if I have the time), I don't really have a use for a lot of the old stuff.

That, is - of course - the greatest problem with selling it.  Most of my oldes stuff (I have nearly continuous Dragon subscription/issues back to issue 20something, etc) was bought to use and was used extensively.  It wasn't really until the late 80s that it even occured to me that this stuff might have value someday and I started taking better care of it.  So, ironically, the best condition items are the items I found the least useful.  :D  

Where I will find any real value (if I find any real value) will likely be with items I bought (to use, not to collect) back in the late 80s and early 90s and which I thus tried to keep in good condition rather than my earliest possessions.  And stuff I received as prizes at conventions, etc. but didn't have a lot of use for and thus tossed in a box (this includes some old modules and the like).

I don't expect to get rich by selling this stuff, I just want to get an idea of what stuff is worth so that I don't undersell it too badly.  (And the wife wants my crates of Dragon and White Dwarf magazines out of the closet for other reasons. )

Carl

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:04 pm 

Syrsuro wrote:I have recently started an Ebay account to start clearing out some old RPG magazines and other stuff (so I can buy all new stuff, of course).  :D

One of the items I have are five issues (Issues #2 to #6) of "The Apprentice" (subtitle: The Canadian Magazine of Mediaeval Fantasy Gaming), published in 1978 and 1979.  (I don't think I have any other issues, but who knows what will emerge from the boxes....)

I would call them very good to excellent condition, although I will probably try to get someone else's opinion on quality before I list them on Ebay - but I haven't a clue as to what they would be worth.  I noticed in the other thread that some of you have bid on (and purchased) such items in the past and wondered if you could give me an idea as to what I should expect to sell them for (and how active the bidding was on such items in the past).

Thanks.

Carl

Carl;

I sold a set of #1-#4 about a year ago for $40 I believe.  They are an interesting artifact, but I doubt very valuable.  I think my lot mostly sold on the strength of the #1 which is hard to find; it was a Buy It Now so I don't really know what it would have gotten if I had open bidding, but I figured if someone wanted them at $10 each that was a good price.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:59 am 

Hi,

i heard that on "The Apprentice" "Berman sought to create a meta-system that combined the best attributes of all current RPGs. He called this hybrid MFRP (Medieval Fantasy Role Playing)"

Someone knows what is this system?

Moreover, in the fanzine they developed the so-called "Spearthrust -A New Combat System". Initially, it was written  by Richard Best. They developed this system through issues 1-4 if i'm not wrong, so it should have been pretty detailed. I'm curious about this but i have no information.