D&D Second Printing
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:31 am 

I've posted this question over at TMP if any of you visit there.

I have a second printing D&D set.  Am currently looking for the bottom half of the box (can anyone confirm the color of that, it has been 20-30 years since I last saw it?).  I may also be looking for dice if it had them (don't remember and none of the descriptions say).

At any rate, the box top has minor rubbing on the face edges (everything was in it and it was face down).

The first book has a discolored spot about 3/8x1 inch on lower left.

Everything else is what I would say is mint - never played and stored in the closet for the last 20 or so years (prior to that it sat on the corner of a bookcase).

The values on the description page appear to be several years old, are these that rare as sale items?

Any ideas as to what it might be worth currently as is and if I find the missing lower box and dice if it came with them?

Thanks for any assistance.

By the way, I also have a third edition, second printing copy of Chainmail.  The cover is scuffed in a couple of places and there is some very minor usage of the pages.  Would it be worth putting it with the D&D set or selling separately?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:26 am 

The box is probably the hardest, or damn near it, thing to get... especially just half of a box. It is brown and woodgrain. Mine did not have dice and it was bought from a very reputable agent so I would assume either it does not have dice -- if it did, then oh well, I still got the set and dice are meaningless to me.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:32 am 

If you can post pictures of the box top and booklets that would help in providing an estimate.  Of course, the value will be diminished considerably if you cannot locate the bottom, but I am sure someone here might buy it anyway. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:06 am 

Per request here are some pictures.  I had a bad setting on the camera - will probably replace these tomorrow with some with better lighting (the dark vertical streak on the butt of the left hand Saracen's javelin is actually a white rub mark).

Thanks again for your replies.

http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/ab14 ... c/D_and_D/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:19 pm 

Hiya! Thanks for those photos.

goragrad wrote:The values on the description page appear to be several years old, are these that rare as sale items?

The date given is that for when the description was last updated, rather than the values last updated.

goragrad wrote:Any ideas as to what it might be worth currently as is

Probably still a bad time to sell: would be sticking ones neck out at much over $300, at present, judging by the last (albeit US-only) sale. It /should/ be more, but recent woodgrain sales have been "difficult".

goragrad wrote:By the way, I also have a third edition, second printing copy of Chainmail.  The cover is scuffed in a couple of places and there is some very minor usage of the pages.  Would it be worth putting it with the D&D set or selling separately?

Either/or. Together might actually help a bit whereas a stack of supplements doesn't appear to assist much for woodgrains.
(aside: just go with "third edition" as the stated 1st printing doesn't appear to exist from previous enquiries).

No dice required, btw.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:49 pm 

Ave -

Thanks for the info!  Looks like I need to tear things apart and find that box.
I have some places to look yet.

Will let you all know if/when it turns up.

Regards -

James

(my luck I'll find the dice and not the box)

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:25 pm 

There are no dice :).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-