Thoughts used Judge's Guild Dark Tower & Caverns of Thra
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:24 am 

Hi all,

Just picked up a fair to good Caverns of Thracia for $12.50 and fair copy of Dark Tower for $12.  Any thoughts on value?  Paul Jaquays' stuff seems to get raves from those who played through his modules, and seems very collectible, but I'm having a hard time finding values for these modules.  

Any thoughts from those seasoned veterans out there who have either played it or know it's value?  Thanks again!    :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:45 am 

I love Thracia. It is tough to find it in good shape for some reason. Value is speculative, but personally I would have paid less for it. Same with Tower. I honestly think the JG stuff pound for pound annihilates D&D stuff, and the paper covers that the mods were made with make it tough to find them in superb shape.
Though I don't consider myself a JG expert, I do have just about every printing of every module, so if you have any content/value questions, I'd be glad to help if I can.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:00 am 

JG seems to be hit and big miss, in my opinion. Some of adventure modules are a blast. Others are not only bad, but incomprehensible.

I like Thracia, and actually I am looking for a good copy.

Dark Tower, which I have a near mint first print, is also fun.

Others that I recommend are as follows:
Thieves of Badabaskar
Dragon Hall - I actually used it as bridge from my campaign world (Greyhawk) to get the PCs to the world of DragaonLance. Dragons were guarding a dimensional portal...yadda...yadda...I then DL1, which worked and the rest was absolute suckitude with the players begging to back to the Greyhawk campaign setting.
Zienteck
and a few others that elude me at this time.

Bottom line is that JG modules that I like were fun to play. Not necessarily too brainy, and usually very light on the role-playing, but constant action, which is what my group of friends always preferred, anyway.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:51 am 

Great info guys!   Thanks much.

I'm surprised and a bit sad about the estimation that I paid too much for the modules, however.  I've seen auctions on ebay go for more, at about the same condition.  I thought I had a steal....sigh.

Later guys, I've still got some packing to do for my new place.  Let me go tear up a few Jade Hare's and Bigby's Tomb to cushion my glassware.  

Ben  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:21 pm 

Value is subjective on that stuff as it's not highly 'trafficed' (is that a word?)

Anyway, the point is... if you feel you got 25 bucks worth of fun and enjoyment out of it, you're good.  IMHO, price only comes into play on the 2nd-Nth copies when you might want to resell them.

My 'first' copy of S1 is worth a lot more to me than my 6th Green Cover S1.

I think you paid a fair price and will be happy to have them.  If you find other copies down the road, now you have a benchmark to go by.

-------------------------------------------------

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:37 pm 

I guess I never commented on the price in my rambling.

I also do not think they are out of line. Thracia is always around that number or higher. Dark Tower can be had for less, but not much. Hell, at the rate things are going, they will be selling for double in a couple years. Especially those JG items that are in great shape. Since they are all paper, decent copies are gonna get more scarce.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:23 pm 

Judges Guild Codex...Every item produced in the 70's-80's is linked from Page Not Found .

The JG website may not have been updated for ages, but is also somewhat interesting since it shows the different printings for a lot of the JG items. (For those people who don't mind collecting shrinkwrapped newsprint, in the first place. *jk* ;))

p.s. Similarities of format between that website and any other are, of course, purely coincidental.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:35 am 

Be a bit careful with the JG website. Not all the info there is accurate. It is, however, a really useful place.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:22 pm 

I was never impressed with JG modules, and considered 90+% of them a waste of paper and ink.  That said, I am quite fond of Paul Jaquays' works, and except them from my general JG quality recrimations.  

There was a thread over on the NG boards about JG modules that's worth checking out if you're looking for ones good to play:  

http://p082.ezboard.com/fnecromancergam ... D=80.topic
and
http://p082.ezboard.com/fnecromancergam ... D=10.topic
and
http://p082.ezboard.com/fnecromancergam ... D=30.topic

I hope that's helpful :)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:33 pm 

bbarsh wrote:JG seems to be hit and big miss, in my opinion. Some of adventure modules are a blast. Others are not only bad, but incomprehensible.

I like Thracia, and actually I am looking for a good copy.

Dark Tower, which I have a near mint first print, is also fun.

Others that I recommend are as follows:
Thieves of Badabaskar
Dragon Hall - I actually used it as bridge from my campaign world (Greyhawk) to get the PCs to the world of DragaonLance. Dragons were guarding a dimensional portal...yadda...yadda...I then DL1, which worked and the rest was absolute suckitude with the players begging to back to the Greyhawk campaign setting.
Zienteck
and a few others that elude me at this time.

Bottom line is that JG modules that I like were fun to play. Not necessarily too brainy, and usually very light on the role-playing, but constant action, which is what my group of friends always preferred, anyway.

One of my favorites that I don't see mentioned often is "Wraith Overlord".  We had a fun time with it back in the early 80's...basically, if I can remember, it consists of the "underneath" areas of City of Invincible Overlord.  Verbosh and Modron made it into my campaigns at that time because TSR really had nothing like it, an entire city/wilderness area sketched out with enough blank spaces to put your own ideas and adventures.
   If you get a chance, check out Under the Storm Giant's Castle.  My vote for worst dungeon adventure of all time.  The monsters alone will make you laugh yourself into insensibility. My favorite are the "Balloon Men".

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:55 pm 

Re: Under the Storm Giants Castle.

Ah yes... how could I overlook that masterpiece!

I did not run it, but had the pleasure of playing in it. One of my buddies who DMed it slaughtered us dozens of times over.

We kept rolling up first level characters and no sooner did we meet a clan of Ballonies, than we were back at rolling a new character. There were orange Balloon men that exploded if you hit them for I think 1d10 damage. Well, that was usually enough to kill the MU, Thief and possibly the Clerics and damaged Fighters.

Yes, how could I forget it. It was years later that I actually flipped through  a copy. How my friend thought a party of first level characters could stand a snow balls chance in elemental plane of fire is beyond me. But then again, it wasn't the first time he made that kind of error...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:59 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Re: Under the Storm Giants Castle.

Ah yes... how could I overlook that masterpiece!

I did not run it, but had the pleasure of playing in it. One of my buddies who DMed it slaughtered us dozens of times over.

We kept rolling up first level characters and no sooner did we meet a clan of Ballonies, than we were back at rolling a new character. There were orange Balloon men that exploded if you hit them for I think 1d10 damage. Well, that was usually enough to kill the MU, Thief and possibly the Clerics and damaged Fighters.

Yes, how could I forget it. It was years later that I actually flipped through  a copy. How my friend thought a party of first level characters could stand a snow balls chance in elemental plane of fire is beyond me. But then again, it wasn't the first time he made that kind of error...

Yes, you have to love those monsters that, even among the loose standards of fantasy, had absolutely no rhyme or reason.  I mean, what do living balloons (made of rubber!) eat?  Do they crap little balloons?  How about reproductive capabilities?  Yech.
    One thing that I liked about Judge's Guilds products is that they usually had a general main locale that you could adapt, some ideas for encounters, and maybe some good NPCs.  Frontier Forts of Kelnore, Verbosh, Modron, Witches Court Marshes, etc.  The really bad JG stuff was typically the tournament style modules like Lara's Tower or Dragon's Crown.  Another really, really bad JG module is the one where "it's all a dream" happens at the end...was that the Sword of Ulisson?  To this day it's one of the only modules I remember throwing across the room in disgust after I read it....I think WG7 was the other.....

Mike B.