Value of Dragon Magazine run 1-100
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:16 am 

I might have an opportunity to get a run of Dragon Magazine from 1-100.  This would complete the collection I am looking to finish, including a bunch of duplicates.  Anyway, assuming that all of the magazines are complete and in nice condition, what should I expect to pay for the first 100 issues of Dragon?  I know that only the first few issues are really the valuable ones.  Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

~Kat  ^_^

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:20 am 

It really depends on the condition of the first number of issues.

As a ballpark figure, I wouldn't start to think about selling the first 100 issues for less than $1000 although for $1200 I would seriously start considering it.  A quick breakdown, would be:

$500 1-6
$250 7-12
$220 13-35
$50 36-45
$45 45-60
$40 61-100
----------------
$1105

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:56 am 

I came up with more like $750, but I'm cheap.   :D

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:20 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:I came up with more like $750, but I'm cheap.   :D

Ditto, but condition could vary that upwards or downwards considerably.  Be sure to take the time and thumb through each issue.  Some people liked to take out modules or the mini games for instance.  And the only way to find writing and highlighting is to look through every page.  It's also fairly rare to find a set without smoke damage, although lots of patience and airing can get rid of most all of the smell.  Although if I were buying a collection like that, I'd really only pay serious attention to issues 1-50.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:33 pm 

What are your breakdowns for $750 estimates?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:45 pm 

Mars wrote:What are your breakdowns for $750 estimates?

This would be for VGC, the minimum collectible condition.
$450 1-10
$100 11-20
$100 13-35
$50 36-100

Personally, I paid less than that, and my collection is mostly nicer than VGC, but I acquired my collection over many years, just completing it about six months ago.  Like TheHistorian, I'm cheap.   8)

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:25 pm 

I'd add another $300 - $500 if the early Dragon Magazines (7-32?) had the mailing covers attached to them.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:17 pm 

I recall an Australian ebay auction maybe 2 years ago for a complete run of 1-? that went for about $700... there was a substantial discount from small lot or individual prices.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:30 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Personally, I paid less than that, and my collection is mostly nicer than VGC, but I acquired my collection over many years, just completing it about six months ago.  Like TheHistorian, I'm cheap.   8)

I am cheap too and paid about $500 for a near complete set (complete up until around issue 320 or so).

A huge lot generally gets a discount because it really doesn't appeal to too many people (especially the shipping) - also shipping from Australia would deter a large portion of the audience.  I would suspect the lot would have done a lot better in the US.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:50 pm 

Mars wrote:
I am cheap too and paid about $500 for a near complete set (complete up until around issue 320 or so).

A huge lot generally gets a discount because it really doesn't appeal to too many people (especially the shipping) - also shipping from Australia would deter a large portion of the audience.  I would suspect the lot would have done a lot better in the US.

Buying larger lots and then selling off what you don't need is the way to go if you are a responsible seller.  Lots of people just don't have the liquidity to pluck down a chunk of cash so you get the discount.  Katchoo, you do what you want, but I'd whip out $750.00 in cash (or whatever you want to offer) after carefully considering condition and watch the cash effect take over.

There's probably another term for this effect, but there's something about seeing a big wad a cash that causes people to momentarily lose their perspective.  :twisted:   Seriously, ever wonder why those men fling around big wads of $20.00 bills as they hawk their little win cash/prizes games at the county fair?  It's a little trick (if you want to call it that) I've used with good effect over the years.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:59 pm 

Thanks for the info, all.  Yeah, I really only need issues 1-50, but I have a few ratty issues in the 51-100 range, so I figured I would just take the first 100, so I could have a reasonably nice copy of each issue.  :)  I will definitely pay good attention to the condition of the first issues... and I already am aware of the possibility of adventures being removed, and whatnot.  :)  I'll be sure to check everything over.

I'd also be picking up these issues, personally, so there would be no shipping costs involved... so that is a plus, as well.  ;)

Again... thanks for everyone's advice... more is welcomed!  :D

~Kat  ^_^

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:07 am 

Just a lil update... I ended up getting the collection for $850.  :)  I'm quite happy with them; they are almost all in perfect shape.  I checked each issue to make sure everything was complete.  Two of them had the mailing covers, still.  One issue has some issues with the cover, but I'll live with it, for now.  :)  lol  Maybe I'll get a replacement, eventually.  ;-)

Thanks again for all of your advice and help, all!  :D

~Kat  ^_^

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:15 am 

What do the mailing covers look like? I saw some other threads where people talk about the colors of the covers, but is there any text or artwork on them?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:41 am 

Katchoo wrote:Just a lil update... I ended up getting the collection for $850.  :)  I'm quite happy with them; they are almost all in perfect shape.  I checked each issue to make sure everything was complete.  Two of them had the mailing covers, still.  One issue has some issues with the cover, but I'll live with it, for now.  :)  lol  Maybe I'll get a replacement, eventually.  ;-)

Thanks again for all of your advice and help, all!  :D

~Kat  ^_^

You did very well.  Congrats!   :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:10 pm 

misterspock wrote:What do the mailing covers look like? I saw some other threads where people talk about the colors of the covers, but is there any text or artwork on them?

The ones I have are on issue #12 and issue #23.  They depict a line drawing of the dragon from issue #1 and it says, "Here Comes... The Dragon" at the top.  Here is the first issue cover, for those unfamiliar:
There is also tiny print at the bottom that says, "2nd class rates paid at Lake Geneva, WI 53147"
They are different colors... Issue #12 has a grey/silver cover.  Issue #23 has a red cover.  Issue #23 also has an illustration on the rear cover of Finieous Fingers tossing a bag of gold up and down in his one hand while leaning on the mailing label with a word bubble stating, "Thy Dragon hath arrived." in fancy lettering.  lol  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:06 pm 

Katchoo,

Two years ago at Gencon my copy of Dragon #16 with mailing cover went for $65.  Having the mailing cover on does effect price.  Mine was so high because it was rated at NM to Mint.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:24 pm 

Very cool!  :D  Thanks, Prufrock.  I'm not a professional grader, but mine look like NM... or at least close!  :D  I'm extremely happy with this collection.

~Kat  ^_^