Dragonlance Monstrous Compendium
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:38 am 

What would be a fair market value for shrink wrapped Monstrous Compendiuim Dragonlance Appendix (the second binder in the series)?

Thanks!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:55 pm 

I don't know how much shrink would affect it, but just one complete in the slipcase is tough enough to find and would be in the $25-40 range.

Shrink might double that, but you'll have to wait for one of the SW experts to comment for sure.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:01 pm 

I was actually thinking a little lower, like in the $15-$20 range.

If they're not in shrink, I think you can usually pick them up in the $5-$10 range.

This was a recent Forgotten Realms MC in shrink...

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-Monstrous-Compe ... 5d28bddbd9

edit: I was thinking of the ones not in the binders...even so, I kind of think $30 tops...

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:21 pm 

misterspock wrote:I was actually thinking a little lower, like in the $15-$20 range.

If they're not in shrink, I think you can usually pick them up in the $5-$10 range.

This was a recent Forgotten Realms MC in shrink...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

edit: I was thinking of the ones not in the binders...even so, I kind of think $30 tops...

This is the binder with slipcase. Much harder to find than just the binders

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:38 pm 

Here is a Vol1 MC Binder, apparently in the original shrink wrap, starting for $25. Is the DL appendix more common or rare than Vol 1?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:39 pm 

sorry , here is the link

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:36 pm 

Wow, I guess so ...

didn't realize this was as hard to find, but I guess I was just thinking of the more regular way the appendices were sold.

Yours is definitely worth more than the other compediums listed on Ebay currently, but hopefully the link above will give you a better idea...

EDIT: for some reason, that link above wasn't working as a copy and paste, so I just stuck it into a quote

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:37 pm 

I thought the last one you lost out on sold for around $95-$100?

Yes, the DL one seems to be a lot rarer than the normal one.  I think it only had 1 print compared with probably 4-6 or more of the other.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:16 pm 

Yes but the same seller apparently has another SW DL MC appendix for $120. That seems a bit high to me.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:19 pm 

The previous ebay auction for the DL appendix went for 26 bucks until the last 2 seconds when whom I was told porthawkesbury outbid me by 80 bucks. Don't know if the MC binder is worth that much

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 pm 

bamajon1974 wrote:The previous ebay auction for the DL appendix went for 26 bucks until the last 2 seconds when whom I was told porthawkesbury outbid me by 80 bucks. Don't know if the MC binder is worth that much

The last 5 or 6 seconds is probably when 90% of the significant bidding on items really takes place.  Anyone bidding before that time is not using the best bidding strategy.  The price seems realistic since at the time 2 people were willing to pay that amount.  Other bidders with high (but not higher) bids may not have had their bids register in the blitz at the end.

As with many items, shrink collects make the market very volatile.  DL1 comes to mind as an item that I would have valued at most at $25 in shrink but lately has been in the $100+ range with more than 1 sale.

I can easily see SW DL MC as being a $75-$100 item.  It appeals to 2nd Ed D&D collectors, to DL collectors, to shrink collectors, etc.  And again, it is probably a lot rarer than any of the other MCs out there.  I have only ever had 1 DL binder cross my path but have 4 different prints of the MC1 binder.  Also, most people who bought any of the MCs probably bought MC1, it seems to show up regularly.  If I had to guess I would say that the production number for MC1 is at least 10X that of DL MC.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:18 pm 

So the 120 bucks is not as unreasonable as I thought. I had no idea the DL appendix was so rare. I lack SW versions of DL and Fiend Folio Appendix. How rare is the FF appendix and what would it fetch?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:30 pm 

bamajon1974 wrote:So the 120 bucks is not as unreasonable as I thought. I had no idea the DL appendix was so rare.

I could see one selling for that amount - sure I've seen crazier things.  With any mainstream TSR item, I don't think "rare" is a word I would particularly use.  It probably means that 30,000 or so were produced compared with a few hundred thousand of the regular MC.

bamajon1974 wrote:I lack SW versions of DL and Fiend Folio Appendix. How rare is the FF appendix and what would it fetch?

I have never bought any of the MCs on purpose from Ebay (although some have snuck in during lot purchases).  From all the collections I have bought, I have managed to get copies of all the MCs except Fiend Folio (with different prints and duplicates of several of the others).  I think there is probably a reason why these two have been elusive for you.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:55 pm 

I just went and checked on mine.  I haven't collected any of these purposefully.  Just lots or perceived "deals".  I have extras in sw of the forgotten realms and the spelljammer.  I don't have Fiend Folio or either binder in s/w.  I don't think I even have the DL binder out of s/w.

$120 looks like only a little bit of a stretch based on this thread to me.  If I were more serious about 2nd edition than I am, I would grab it, lol.  As it stands, I will now at least know which ones I am missing if I see a bin at a good price.

I would trade well for the FF or either binder in s/w, btw.

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:30 am 

Mars wrote:With any mainstream TSR item, I don't think "rare" is a word I would particularly use.  It probably means that 30,000 or so were produced compared with a few hundred thousand of the regular MC.

And by the nature of these, as binders, I would think almost all of them were opened.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:32 am 

I personally purchased the Fiend Folio, Ravenloft 1 and 2 MCs at a store when they came out.  I had a friend that did the same for the MC1, 2 and Forgotten Realm 1.  All my others came about by a large purchase of them from Beyondthebreach (like 4-5 binders full) and various lots with a couple in SW.  I believe I have all the MCs, though not so sure on the covers.

The best thing one person did was put each sheet in a clear plastic sheet that could also be in a binder.  Wish my friend had that back then and not put all those binder hole stickers on his sheets.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:14 am 

I have copies of all the MC appendices that I bought years ago and have been taken care of very well but I wanted SW copies for my collection for boxed sets and booklets with lots of lose pieces, pages, etc.

At 120 bucks the DL appendix will probably not sell anytime soon, I will likely buy within the month if still available. BTW, the seller is kitdude, 100% positive feedback, the seller is ok? never dealt with him/her before.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:28 am 

bamajon1974 wrote:I have copies of all the MC appendices that I bought years ago and have been taken care of very well but I wanted SW copies for my collection for boxed sets and booklets with lots of lose pieces, pages, etc.

At 120 bucks the DL appendix will probably not sell anytime soon, I will likely buy within the month if still available. BTW, the seller is kitdude, 100% positive feedback, the seller is ok? never dealt with him/her before.

ive dealt with kitdude several times this year. Excellent service. Detail how you want your item packaged though.

Next