Value for Outdoor Geomorphs Walled City-With issues
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:39 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Another thing to note in case some of you do not know it.
I am a collector, Not an investor, nor am I a combination of Investor/Collector as many of you are.
IMO they are different things altogether.
Even though I do sometimes sell stuff (especially in the past few months), I do so to raise money to buy other stuff, or for other RPG related reasons (Such as NTRPGCON).
Most times the item I have listed is an extra copy that I have for some reason, usually an item that was part of a larger lot of things, or a single item I saw listed at a low price, knowing I could re-sell for a bit more and thereby have a bit more to spend on other stuff.

That said, I do not mind overpaying (sometimes) for a rare item that is seldom listed as long as it is a good quality example of that item.
What I would consider good collector grade.
Does not have to be SWed, in fact most times it wont be, which I do not mind.
I have always collected in that manner.

IMO, this copy of Walled City is NOT nearly good enough of an example to be collector grade and the seller misled me (and perhaps others too) with an almost non-existant description.

Gnat, my advice based on what you have said is to return it for a full and complete refund.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:58 pm 

I would follow Jason's advice.  If you are not happy with the item as a collectible and if the seller is amenable to you returning it, then go ahead and send it back.  There will always be others. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:23 pm 

I agree, too. I'd just get the refund based on the seller's 30day stated deal. I do think he should have laid it out in the photo, as he did with the JG items with maps and such. I think he gave the impression it was "intact" by taking the photo in the protective sleeve. I mean, if it's already cut up, written on, etc, what's the point in protecting it? :?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:07 pm 

misterspock wrote:I think he gave the impression it was "intact" by taking the photo in the protective sleeve. I mean, if it's already cut up, written on, etc, what's the point in protecting it? :?

Well he did need a way to keep it all the pieces together. :)  Looking at the auction, the use of the phrase 'GREAT CONDITION!' in the title was perhaps a bit optimistic and would definitely lend credence to the item being complete.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:46 pm 

This is one of the reasons I LOVE this forum.
Great advice and well stated.

As I said, I was leaning to taking the full refund, but wanted to know what the other members thought the price/value might be for this set before I made the final choice.

I do feel that $65 is too much for this set with its condition problems.
And I do not think $50 is right either...
And for $50 I can buy TEN Raffle Tickets at the Convention... :lol:

My thanks to all and if this set does interest any of you, I am sure the seller will relist it soon after it is returned.

Wonder if I should send the pictures and scans that I made, so seller can post them to the new auction? 8)
Maybe even the complete description I wrote on the first page too?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:26 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:So noted ...
Removing faro from the All list stated above...  8)

Thanks! I'd be looking a bit stupid if you didn't since I was the bidder who paid $66.05 for the cut-up example noted on the previous page; which I thought was a good price, fwiw. ;)

The fact that the seller in your case stated "GREAT CONDITION!" left the decision up to you, anyhow, since that clearly was not the case regardless of the price being fair or otherwise. And as you're unhappy, it sounds like you've made the right decision. :)
Pity you ca'n't get your time back, too, but has been an interesting discussion, thanks.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:43 pm 

faro wrote:Thanks! I'd be looking a bit stupid if you didn't since I was the bidder who paid $66.05 for the cut-up example noted on the previous page; which I thought was a good price, fwiw. ;)

The fact that the seller in your case stated "GREAT CONDITION!" left the decision up to you, anyhow, since that clearly was not the case regardless of the price being fair or otherwise. And as you're unhappy, it sounds like you've made the right decision. :)
Pity you ca'n't get your time back, too, but has been an interesting discussion, thanks.

Was your cut set also wrtten on?
Did it include all of the pieces and other parts too?
Such as front cover and back cover, or whaetver the four shet thingy is called?

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:28 pm 

Yes, written on, but otherwise complete with the "instruction pamphlet" which is often missing.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:12 pm 

To return an item because it does not meet the value consensus of others is a poor choice in of itself.

However, the seller did say "great condition" and seems amenable to a refund.

Take the full refund.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:24 pm 

FWIW: I only asked for your opinions as I truly do value them.
In the end I will always make my own choices based on what I want to do, not based on outside influences.
HOWEVER, I did consider your thoughts in this thread to help me make my final choice in this situation, at least in part.

As I stated previously; I was torn between three options:
Keep the set as is and stop my bit.. ching...
Accept a partial refund of $15 (making the purchase price $49.99 instead of $64.99).
Accept a full refund to include Shipping both directions and have nothing left but wasted time after it all ended.

NOTE: The Seller was responsive and very patient as I tried to decide what to do and that certainly helped me to make my final choice.
I wanted to point that out as a true possitive aspect of the situation.
Anyway, the deal has been resolved to my satisfaction and I will leave good feedback for the seller.
However, I will NOT do the DSR thingies at all because to be honest with them the seller would certainly take a big hit in at least 2 of the categories (Shipping Method and the Description).

My first view of the package was while it was still inside the mailbox folded almost in half...

Finally, my thanks to all of you who responded to this thread and offered your thoughts.

Previous