Phantasy Conclave
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:03 pm 

I picked up a copy of this game recently and was wondering if anyone had tracked any sales information on it? The box I picked up is in its original shrinkwrap (with a sticker saying it contains 10 Gamescience high impact dice) but the bottom corner is crushed and there is a bend on the opposite upper corner. There is a tear in the front wrap, a semi circle about the size on an old Ike dollar.

I read recently (last Dec I think) that several of these were located in the possession of the original game creator, but hadn't heard anything since. I've never seen a sell price for this rpg set.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:41 pm 

I've tracked the sales over the past number of years.  Here's the data I have collected:

1 open copy missing dice traded for small lot of TSR Marvel Super Heroes RPG stuff.

Yep, I think that sums all of the sales up.

The author was on and located some copies but has disappeared - I don't think he ended up selling any copies.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:33 am 

No there was that other sale, someone lucked out on a nice BIN as I recall..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:48 am 

beasterbrook wrote:No there was that other sale, someone lucked out on a nice BIN as I recall..

That one I know well, lucky bastard

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:22 pm 

Did anyone ever hear back from the author (member name T'Lar) who posted about his remaining stock?

viewtopic.php?t=9307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=phantasy+conclave&start=0

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:25 pm 

I asked him several weeks ago, with no reply :(

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:27 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:I asked him several weeks ago, with no reply :(

Yep, me too - no reply either.  Its not an unusual occurrence for these types of items though.  I have 4 or 5 such negotiations on the go some of which are into year 2.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:50 pm 

The person I'd contacted about it told me to contact the other person, and then both dropped out of reach. Alas, this may be a pipe to dream.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:03 pm 

serleran wrote:The person I'd contacted about it told me to contact the other person, and then both dropped out of reach. Alas, this may be a pipe to dream.

I don't know. Out of 1000 copies produced I can't believe there are so few left (15 or so it seems). I'm glad to have gotten a copy but I'd like to have been able to look at the books, and I can't bring myself to take the shrink off of it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:08 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Out of 1000 copies produced I can't believe there are so few left (15 or so it seems).

I'm pretty skeptical about this number.  They show up way too infrequently for this to be the number.  At a rough guess that 10% hang around that should still be enough that copies should appear on Ebay a bit more frequently.  If I had to guess I would say maybe only 100 or 200 copies were made.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:29 am 

Anyone want to guess at a reasonable asking price would be?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:42 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:Anyone want to guess at a reasonable asking price would be?

For something like this, I would generally price it at about $100.  You might get more / might get less in an open auction.  Really tough to tell - I won't be bidding on it.  Its a tough thing to price when a supply is seemingly almost within reach to saturate the marketplace.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:37 am 

I guess more in the $50-70 range since I don't think a lot of persons are interested in it (at least to bid more than $50). Small press RPGs are not considered as non-TSR D&D supplements/modules and so D&D collectors do not bid on it BTW.
And Mars will not bid on it :)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 pm 

My guess is that it would probably get around $50, but maybe more. I know I wouldn't bid on it at the moment simply because I'm not buying anything for a while.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:20 pm 

Mars wrote:
For something like this, I would generally price it at about $100.  You might get more / might get less in an open auction.  Really tough to tell - I won't be bidding on it.  Its a tough thing to price when a supply is seemingly almost within reach to saturate the marketplace.

I don't think 12 copies would saturate the marketplace at $50 - $100 a pop. All 12 (if the publisher is willing to sell them all, and that seems unlikely) might even end up going to the same buyer or straight to a reseller. Pretty sure T&T or NK would price those copies between $500 and $1000 and sit on them till they sold.

I would put these sets easily into the couple of hundred dollar range simply because of their history and seeming rarity. $50 is taking the wife and kids out to the movies (maybe not even that) or a tank of gas. If the publisher tried to print up a 3 booklet boxed set of these now he'd probably have to charge at least $50 for it.

For a 27 year old set that has 15 known copies in existence I think $50 to $100 is ridiculously low even if all 15 were in the market at the same time. That's the sense I get from 25 years as a reseller. What I'm not sure of is what the low and high ends would be. I'd say minimum, $300 and maximum a good deal higher, especially if these aren't already in the hands of the bigger collectors.

The publisher should probably put these up for sale or auction one at a time then do a pdf or even a limited reprint of the set, maybe even a converted version for modern rules systems.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm 

People have to want something for it to have value.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:41 pm 

serleran wrote:People have to want something for it to have value.

In an auction 2 people have to want something..

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:49 pm 

serleran wrote:People have to want something for it to have value.

True, but this is mostly an unknown and plenty of people here buy fantasy RPGs just to check them out, and collectors buy items they never even open because they are a piece of RPG history.

Phantasy Conclave is more than obscure, it has been uneblievably hard to find. It is mentioned in Heroic Worlds, making it part of the RPG gaming bible. I know I used Heroic Worlds as a check list when I started seriously collecting (only to realize just how many small and independent press items were not mentioned).

So this set is a piece of RPG history. $50 is a tank of gas, a night at the movies, not the price you usually pay for a piece of history. It is the price of ten angus burgers at burger king, or 16 big macs and a coke.

I think that more than 15 RPG collectors would want a copy. How many tanks of gas they would be willing to pay for it I'm not sure. 6 tanks of gas is my guess for a starting figure, but some collectors and resellers could probably trade more gas for this set than just 6 tanks. I would love to see what a set goes for in an open auction with a few announcements posted around the collecting community.

Next