Beggars Review: The Illhiedrin Book (Judges Guild D&D)
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:37 pm 

The Illhiedrin Book (750)

ImageImage

I would have bought it just for the cover art...  8O ... but there is more to it.  :lol:

This 32 page module (28 pages actually, if not counting nice looking cover pages) is designed for use with low level Characters and includes a Wilderness Map, Dungeon Maps, Town Map, Two Towers detailed Maps, stats of Inhabitants, plus a Lost Crypt.

An adventure for Low Level Player Characters.
A Cleric is recommended by not required.
The book does not state how many PCs should be in the group, but a standard sized PC group would be fine (4-7 PCs all first level).
Smaller groups and even a single PC could make it too, as there are plenty of NPC's in the town that could be hired (or enticed) to join the group.
Larger groups or higher level PC's could also do fine, although the Judge would need to upgrade stats for NPCs/Monsters and/or add to the number of creatures for some encounters.

Alcastra (a 12th level Wizardess) seeks to hire the PCs to find a long lost Magical Tome (Book) for her.
She could do it herself of course, but she does not have the time, and she is willing to pay the PCs well to find and return the book to her.
Or at least find the exact location of the Tower where the book is thought to be located.
The book has been lost for 350 years, and the book is rumored to be inside a wizards tower, but no one knows the exact location of that tower, only rumors.

Alcastra will give the group a map to a Temple where the PCs can investigate further.
She adds that the Priests at the Temple should know more.
She will give the PC's some supplies, and perhaps even an advance in payment to help them gain other needed supplies (Such as horses, and if needed NPC hirelings).

In the town, the PCs can find help, information (including more rumors) and more supplies, including horses (They will need them).
In addition, they will attract the attention of other persons/groups who are also looking for the book. (but don't tell the PCs that)

One town, Two Towers, One Tomb, Wilderness adventures, a new type of creature to defeat, Orcs galore (and other low level monsters), good NPCs and bad NPCs, some of whom will help and some of whom will hurt and some of them might do neither or both, the dungeons include some traps and puzzles to try to solve as well.
Town is a small sized village (about 200 folks) with some areas detailed (Tavern/Inn, Alcastra's Tower, Livery Stable) enough for plenty of game play.
Both Towers, the Tomb, and the Temple include maps and sketches of every level and room, with encounters detailed.
All encounters, area details, NPCs stats, monster stats and Maps are included inside the book.
No loose maps to keep track of.

I have read this one through and found it to be a really nice module for Fantasy (D&D) gaming.
Plenty of details on the NPCs and the maps are well made and the mission for the PCs is well laid out and plausible (unlike many modern adventures).
The story and main monster are well done, and the NPC's (good and bad NPCs) also add a good amount of fun to the overall adventure.
The Module can be had for $2-$5 almost any day on E-Bay and in the original SW at that same price, or a little more.
I just purchased a second copy since my first one is in the original SW and I did not want to rip it open when another can be found so cheaply.
I paid an E-Bay seller $1.99 plus $2.00 shipping for it...
It is MINTY, but not in the SW.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:35 pm 

Nice review Gnat!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:49 am 

Why is this not in the Judges Guild section?  Do these get more looks here? :?  :( :wink: Heck I'm all about the company getting exposure so wherever works for me.
Will have to add these reviews to the site if that's okay.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:58 pm 

Sorry Shane.

Honestly, I am never sure where to place my Beggars book reviews and I thought YES, more exposure here since not everyone collects Judges Guild.

I was also thinking that Perhaps a member or two might decide to pick up one of the low cost JG adventure modules/books and get the bug like we did. 8)

BTW: I had already posted the relevant parts of the review above to the Judges Guild Level Guideline Thread (My post).

Speaking of low cost.... items:

** expired eBay auction **

This seller has 4 copies for $1.99 plus $3.00 shipping.

Listing says new.

In my limited experience with this seller... he means Minty and unused or danged close to it and many of his JG items are in the SW.

And I know that this seller offers a great deal for combined shipping.

I recently bought NINE Judges Guild books/magazines from this seller and just paid $5.00 total for shipping. 8O  

All NINE items combined only cost me $13.96 plus the $5.00 shipping...

The package came well packed and well protected too.:D

I was quite pleased with the purchases and all items were minty too.

(some were SWed and some were not)

NOTE to board: I am not working for this seller, and I am not being paid to hype them.

And I have no idea who they are.

If you are that seller and a member here, then MY THANKS TO YOU!

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:47 pm 

* bump * (topic moved to this forum from Collecting Non-TSR)

Foul

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:16 am 

Thank you Scott

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:42 am 

Yeah, Thanks Scott.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:09 pm 

The Illhiedrin Book is a good example of how much of the best stuff is still readily available for cheap. '80s JG is when the illos become trippy & color-saturated. I often do buy them for the covers alone, but in this case the module inside is nice too.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:36 pm 

sauromatian wrote:The Illhiedrin Book is a good example of how much of the best stuff is still readily available for cheap. '80s JG is when the illos become trippy & color-saturated. I often do buy them for the covers alone, but in this case the module inside is nice too.

absolutely agree. good review JJ!

i have ran this in a campaign a few times. i have tweaked a few little things so it fits right and have inserted it around start of 3rd level and its always worked for me.

its actually good fun - wish more folk would still run these adventures.

best, Al