JG Map #3 Valley of the Ancients / Glow-Worm Steppes
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:18 pm 

On the map it says the name: Valley of the Ancients.

So why is it called Glow-Worm Steppes on the JG page?

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:43 pm 

Valley of the Ancients is the title used for all of the copies of that Map that I have ever seen.
I have never seen a copy of Map 3 that was Labeled "Glow-Worm Steppes".

Additionally; All of the books (Wilderlands of High Fantasy) that I have (In the Text only) call that area Glow-Worm Steppes, even though the 8-1/2" x 11" overall maps inside the same books name that area Valley of the Ancients.
The Valley of the Ancients is barely mentioned in the actual text of those books.
But, I only have the 2nd and 4th Prints of that book.

Campaign Map 3 is located at the farthest North East corner of the Judges Guild Wilderness Setting.
Barbarian Altanis is on Campaign Map 2, and The Valley of the Ancients is on Campaign Map 3 of the same Double Sided Map.

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0048.html

Barbarian Altanis is mis-spelled Barbarian Atlantis on the page linked above.
See the second description paragraph (the link for the maps 2/3).

Valley of the Ancients is on the same side of the map (Campaign Map 3) as the Glow-Worm Steppes with the Valley being directly North of the Steppes.

As for your last statement, I agree with you.
None of the 2/3 Wilderlands Campaign Maps that I have are titled Glow-Worm Steppes.
Of course that does not mean Campaign Maps labeled as Glow-Worm Steppes do not exist.
I only have a few copies of Campaign Maps 2/3 and I am fairly sure that none are First Print Maps.
There must have been thousands of copies of Campaign Map 2/3 distributed by Judges Guild.

I have always thought the label that mentioned Map 3 as the Glow-Worm Steppes on the Sub Web Pages was just a small error.
As an aside, that map could just as easily have been labeled The Plain of Skulls...
(See the northwest quarter of Campaign Map 3).

I do not have any First Print Sets (Books/Maps) of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy.
Perhaps the first prints of those Campaign Maps are labeled "Glow-Worm Steppes"?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:55 pm 

Well catalogs list Issue N with Barbarian Atlantis/Glow-Worm Steppes, though the map they don't exactly title.  I shall have to make a note on the pages and correct the spelling flub.  Also seems I did include Valley of the Ancients there - what the heck was I doing then.  :oops:
So yeah no map has the title of Glow-Worm Steppes.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:10 am 

Hopefully fixed the confusion and the spelling error, though do see that is some of the pages to update in the future.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:20 am 

I'm glad I caught it. Though at first I wasn't sure if it was a goof or some sort of misprint or something else...  :)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:52 am 

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0044.html

Plagg...
Not sure if you noted it or not.
On the Page linked above the maps are all labeled Barbarian Altanis/Glow-Worm Steppes (The wording below the scans of the actual maps).
And the bottom two maps clearly show Valley of the Ancients (The actual scans that is).

As for the other text of that page there is some confiusion as to what the title actually is, though in the text of the description the explanation is clear enough.

Item Code:  44

Title:  Barbarian Altanis/Glow Worm Steppes Campaign Map

Type:  Map

System:  Dungeons & Dragons

Author(s):  Unknown

Date Published:  1977

Format:  two double sided 17" x 22" maps

Original Price:  $1.80 each

The map titles are Campaign Map #2: Barbarian Altanis / Campaign Map #3: Valley of Ancients even though Installment N is labeled in product lists as Barbarian Altanis / Glow Worm Steppes.  The Judges and Players maps were sold seperately, though under the same product number.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM