Tegel Manor 1st-4th: Dissapointment sets in
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:35 pm 

** expired eBay auction **

Am I wrong to have expected a higher sales price for this? :?

I KNEW I should have placed a Reserve on that listing! :oops:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:15 pm 

Seems cheap to me, as I've looked at some of the later Tegels and they tend to go beyond my price for the time being. Shame for that Gnat..  :(

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:26 pm 

You see 1st prints going for more than (around) $50.00 recently? I mean the only thing you're really missing (and I am being a nit picky here...) would be the shrink/cover wrap with the AD&D sticker on it.

I don't think it's that far off the mark. Just a bit low IMHO...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:05 pm 

Yes, it should have gone for more.
But to a certain extent, we have Acaeum to blame. Back in 2005/6 there were very few people who differentiated between editions and printings if the likes of Tegel and CSIO, and prices were high right across the board. Prices seem to polarise now towards first printings and/or rare printings.
I had expected it to exceed $60 and possibly reach $75, but I haven't watched prices on the JG biggies in a while.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:05 pm 

All things considered, yours probably should have gone for more.  Here are the few that have ended recently:

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_ ... =50&_rdc=1

$41 for the Gamescience version???  :lol:

How much were you hoping for?  I think the days of 1st printings of Tegel Manor hitting $90 or more regularly are over.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:01 pm 

2009 Q1 and earlier prices were higher, everything after that is around $55 or less, so I think you got a fair price.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:13 pm 

Right...
I have been watching Gamescience versions regularly selling for over $35 and I have seen some sell for more than my 1st Print 4th Release did today.
And those were the common color version.

I honestly expected it to sell for around $70 and perhaps if a couple bidders got antsy a bit more.

I just think that $44, is exceedingly low.
I would BIN 1st Prints (2nd prints too) in the condition that set was in all day long at the price.

BTW the set I sold does not have the Character Checklist Sheet either...
Very few sets have that checklist (that I have seen).

I have other Orange Booklet versions of Tegel Manor and if I ever list another copy on E-Bay, there will be a reserve on it. :)

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:54 pm 

That's auctions for you. Sometimes you get more than what you think for sales, sometimes less. Recently I sold a copy of Pagan Publishing's Graven Images for about a third of what I thought it might go for - the winner got a real bargain - they come up about once every three years...  But then sometimes auctions go higher than you think.  I think over time it usually evens up.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:50 pm 

red_bus wrote: That's auctions for you. Sometimes you get more than what you think for sales, sometimes less. Recently I sold a copy of Pagan Publishing's Graven Images for about a third of what I thought it might go for - the winner got a real bargain - they come up about once every three years...  But then sometimes auctions go higher than you think.  I think over time it usually evens up.

True enough and I understand the way of E-Bay; sometimes it disappoints and sometimes it gives back.

Just a couple of weeks ago I won an auction on a copy of Inferno in near mint condition for a lot less than they normally sell for.
I had been trying to get one for years and never was able to do so.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:01 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Yes, it should have gone for more.
But to a certain extent, we have Acaeum to blame. Back in 2005/6 there were very few people who differentiated between editions and printings if the likes of Tegel and CSIO, and prices were high right across the board. Prices seem to polarise now towards first printings and/or rare printings.
I had expected it to exceed $60 and possibly reach $75, but I haven't watched prices on the JG biggies in a while.

Fair point and would've expected something along those lines for a "generic" 1st printing in decent condition. For sure, my $43 push bid was personally over-optimistic for a win, more on the off chance that people were distracted elsewhere.

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Just a couple of weeks ago I won an auction on a copy of Inferno in near mint condition for a lot less than they normally sell for.
I had been trying to get one for years and never was able to do so.

That's true, too. Would've expected a similar price there. :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:00 pm 

As the winning bidder, I promise not to boast about it in "fun finds," and I will treat it well.   :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:55 am 

Grug Greyskin wrote:As the winning bidder, I promise not to boast about it in "fun finds," and I will treat it well.   :wink:

I think you should.
I would boast about that fun find. :lol:

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:30 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:All things considered, yours probably should have gone for more.  Here are the few that have ended recently:

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_ ... =50&_rdc=1

$41 for the Gamescience version???  :lol:

How much were you hoping for?  I think the days of 1st printings of Tegel Manor hitting $90 or more regularly are over.

And I think that this is the crux of the matter, as to the frustration that the original version of the module would be cheaper than this version...  :roll:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:45 am 

Just dawned on me Gnat, Judges Guild wasn't in the title of your auction.  May not have effected the auction, but then who knows.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:35 pm 

Plagg has a point.
Judges Guild should have been listed in the title.
Even though mostly anyone who follows Tegel Manor knows what it is and will or will not bid for it.
But some folks might only be searching for Judges Guild...
There were 145 visits, with 16 watchers, and SIX (6) bids total; from 6 different bidders.
Dont know what that means though.

IO said it well enough... as to my frustration...
In that a new version of Tegel Manor would sell for as much or more than an original version that is far tougher to find.

In the end; the Buyer has paid me and I shall mail it off tomorrow and I think it is going to a very good home.
(I would have mailed it today, but we took the grandkids to the zoo, which was an ALL Day affair)
All in all I am very happy for the buyer. :wink:

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:05 pm 

Mudita

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:07 pm 

This item went for what it is worth, I paid around $50 for each of my copies bought about 2 years ago and they were complete.  I don't think they are that hard to find!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!