Any possibility of identifying contents of JG envelope?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:52 pm 

I have a sealed manilla envelope I got in a lot.  The return address is Judges Guild, 1165 N. University, Decatur, IL 62526.  The postmark is Decatur, dated Oct 12, 1988.  The letter T is written across the postmark.  It doesn't look like there was ever a mailing label on it.  Anybody know what might be inside?  Smarmy1 must be rubbing off on me - I hate to open sealed items.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:03 pm 

Got a scan/photo?

With the T I assume this: http://www.acaeum.com/jg/ModPhotos/InstallmentT.html

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:15 pm 

Yes, that is it exactly - just add a postmark.  So what does the T mean? Installment T?  Wasn't that from 1978?  I am confused.  (This is not unusual, but don't make fun)

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:26 am 

It should contain Frontier Forts of Kelnore and Issue T of the Judges Guild Journal, I believe. I've seen half a dozen of these over the past few years. They are quite common without addresses on them. I think they went to games stores that way, but who knows. That said, all the copies in envelopes that have passed through my hands have always been unsealed. I believe Killjoy had a stack of these at one point too.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:21 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:It should contain Frontier Forts of Kelnore and Issue T of the Judges Guild Journal, I believe. I've seen half a dozen of these over the past few years. They are quite common without addresses on them. I think they went to games stores that way, but who knows. That said, all the copies in envelopes that have passed through my hands have always been unsealed. I believe Killjoy had a stack of these at one point too.

Nods head...

I purchased Two sealed envelopes from the person (Plano, Texas) who had been selling lots of JG stuff before Killjoy bought his shipping container full of JG Items from him.
My envelopes both match the scan that Shane linked to.

When I met the guy at his home; he had well over a dozen of the same sealed Envelopes and he told me that (His Opinion) they all contained the same items, but he was not 100% certain of that.
My purchases (I bought a lot of stuff from the guy at various times) were made several years before Killjoy bought most of the guys remaining JG stock.

I opened one envelope to review the contents and I kept the other one sealed.
The one I opened contained the items you listed, plus a Catalog as well.
The Catalog has 16 pages and it is in the same newspaper format as JG Journal Issue 11 (T), Item #70, Aug/Sept 1978.

My two are not addressed to a customer/JG Member, though the JG address label is present on both.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:56 am 

just to shine light on this also chaps.

what is in the envelope is NOT always the same. and i say this with proof, that i have opened said envelopes myself (which were previously sealed). you can generally tell by the thickness of them....

one type of T envelope has the journal newspaper and the booklet "frontier forts of kelnore"

the other type of T envelope is as above, but also contains a catalog newspaper too (mentioned by gnat above).

so while sealed, it wont always contain the same contents, some have a catalog, some dont. maybe when they were originally doing them....they simply ran out of catalogs? seems the most sensible explanation to me :)

all the best

Alan

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:23 pm 

Wonderful.  Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.  I still wonder why it was postmarked 1988... but I guess everyone needs to keep a little mystery in their lives.  I think it will remain unopened for now.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:26 am 

If you look at the envelope I received in the mail containing installment V you will see that it was also postmarked 1988 even though I received it in 1978.  Someone got the year wrong at the post office.  :?: http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0083.html

S. Jacobson
You're never alone with a rubber duck

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:22 am 

Okay now I want to have a scan of your envelope Lucy.  Totally forgot about that other 1988 envelope.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:32 pm 

Scan sent.