New Judges Guild Products! (Currently in Progress)
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:56 am 

The info Plaag posted is indeed from the AGP Subscriber Letter sent out with Campaign Installment #2. I was able to coax a bit of information out of Bob Jr on works in progress for the letter; he had also sent the images, but there was no room for me to include those in the newsletter...

I wanted to make sure the subscribers knew that Judges Guild was still alive and kicking; the same news piece is in the February AGJ Monthly Chronicle for non-subscribers (though thanks to the dearth of orders, that hasn't even gone out once yet!)

The three items mentioned are all being worked on by Bob Jr and his team at Judges Guild; AGP is not involved with any of the projects, save for providing moral support. If only Decatur and Iola weren't umpty-ump hours apart... :(

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:35 pm 

Quoting this from his post on the Necromancer Games forum:

Lost Man's Trail - RPG-Now Edition

Just released on RPG-Now for $16. This is the last written work of my grandfather before he passed, and the first original release of Judges Guild's in 25 years. My father and I have worked hard to put this together with as little alteration to the text as possible. This is written in the Judges Guild Universal Game System. A printed version will be available later this month.

We hope you enjoy!

Bob Bledsaw III

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:20 pm 

Rock and Roll!

Now for the hard copy....

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:36 pm 

Curious what the hard copy price will be.  The PDF is pretty stiffly priced for the page count and no indication of color/art.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:51 pm 

That was what I was thinking. I'd consider buying at $8, but at $16 it's way too steep. At that price it'll be pirated and distributed quickly, and the price is what encourages piracy. At a reasonable cost, a lot of people would prefer to pay and support a company. The price here is excessive ans the buyer gets no product and the seller sells nothing except data which has no cost in distribution or manufacture.

This appears to be a poorly considered launch, and there is no sample file to boot, so the buyer is expected to shell out $16 blind for 32 pages of completely unknown content of undivulged quality or worth?

Don't see this selling until the company corrects the errors.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:04 pm 

That link to RPG now comes up to an "Item not found" page for some reason and doing a search on the site doesn't show the item either.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:16 pm 

It was there half and hour ago. Seems to have been deleted now.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:31 pm 

It's back up, now with a preview of the contents.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:47 pm 

Would the printed version be sold through Necromancer in a month or a different company?

btw, is there any news on the revised Tegel Manor other than that it's still in limbo?

edit: I noticed the pdf price is now $14

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:10 am 

misterspock wrote:edit: I noticed the pdf price is now $14

I think the correct price would be $8.

Last edited by FormCritic on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:26 am 

My first 30 second view shows the first two keyed encounters numbered 'X'. Haven't gone into the body of the text yet, but the number flaw is disconserting. Is it meant to be this way, or is it a numbering error? Is the actual product numbered like this?

$14 is too high. What happens is those who are desperate buy it at $14 and then they drop it to $8-10 and everyone else buys it, and those who bought in at the beginning and are supporting the venture feel like they got screwed.

$14 is also a price point that encourages propogation by pirate means. Someone will buy it, feel they were ripped off, and then strip the watermark and publish it on Torrent for everyone to download for free. At $8 people either feel like they took a chance and got a fair product for a fair price, or they feel like they got a bargain and are likely to recomment to product to others,"It's only $8!" and are likely to buy other products.

This is what a lot of companies just don't get about piracy. Piracy is driven by excessive pricing by the seller of software. If the seller is perceived as being greedy, the buyer's think, "F"ck'em" and distribute for free. Windows OS and Adobe Photoshop are a case in point. The is far less of a piracy issue with MacOS and Paint SHop Pro per se, because pricing is far more reasonable for what the user gets.

Yes, it is always a problem and will always occur, but pricing at a point that encourages large numbers of buyers to consider waiting for a free copy to appear online is just stupid.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:31 pm 

I do agree, I think even at $14 it's high for a 32pg pdf. I'm just planning on waiting for the actual hard copy to be released.

I do kind of think that if you release the pdf version before a hard copy, you'd want to put it at a teaser price to get people to come back to buy the physical copy later. If I were to purchase at the higher price first, I'd be much less inclined to buy the hard copy later. The only other thought I'd have for rationalizing the purchase for the higher price pdf is that I might go for it if it were to contain some extra material not included with the hard copy.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:42 pm 

In my experience, everything ever published in PDF eventually is available free of charge from one unscrupulous source or another on the internet. It is as inevitable as taxation.

The way to make money with PDF release, is to either give away hardcopies free (of for a nominat postage charge) to all PDF buyers and charge hardcopy prices for the PDFs; or to sell PDFs at a drasticly lower cost and hit buyers for hardcopies at full price.

Lulu have great success in the latter, and by all accounts FGG are making shedloads with the former. But you can't screw the buyer and then screw them again later.

Most people will wait for the free copy online, and I'd be willing to bet it'll be available for free before Xmas at that price. That said, I'd be willing to bet there're a dozen or more casual browsers here that's drop $8 without batting an eyelid on a PDF that they think will be worth that sort of money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:28 pm 

<Edited to remove stupid statements.>

Last edited by FormCritic on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 pm 

misterspock wrote:I do agree, I think even at $14 it's high for a 32pg pdf. I'm just planning on waiting for the actual hard copy to be released.

I do kind of think that if you release the pdf version before a hard copy, you'd want to put it at a teaser price to get people to come back to buy the physical copy later. If I were to purchase at the higher price first, I'd be much less inclined to buy the hard copy later. The only other thought I'd have for rationalizing the purchase for the higher price pdf is that I might go for it if it were to contain some extra material not included with the hard copy.

Actually, I would hope the opposite and yet agree with you in general. The pdf should be the teaser and not contain everything that is in the hard copy. In my view, a pdf is a non-product, a glimpse... it should be nothing more.

That said, though, I will never spend money on a pdf. Ever.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:31 pm 

serleran wrote:
Actually, I would hope the opposite and yet agree with you in general. The pdf should be the teaser and not contain everything that is in the hard copy. In my view, a pdf is a non-product, a glimpse... it should be nothing more.

That said, though, I will never spend money on a pdf. Ever.

I wonder how much revenue TLG get from selling PDFs? And I'd be willing to bet the likes of NG and GG net a large amount of money from PDF sales. Done right, PDFs are a real revenue stream, the same way people buy music and films on iTunes. Again, they are non-products, with no physical product, but their sales are in the billions of dollars. No reason not to do that with PDFs. A book is no different from a music track or a video. They are all just pieces of information being sold by a creator to an end user.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:03 pm 

Unless the hard copy is priced at something silly I will certainly be buying it.

<Edited following intelligence check>

Last edited by FormCritic on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:15 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
I wonder how much revenue TLG get from selling PDFs? And I'd be willing to bet the likes of NG and GG net a large amount of money from PDF sales. Done right, PDFs are a real revenue stream, the same way people buy music and films on iTunes. Again, they are non-products, with no physical product, but their sales are in the billions of dollars. No reason not to do that with PDFs. A book is no different from a music track or a video. They are all just pieces of information being sold by a creator to an end user.

Yeah, and I do not have to support it, which is what I said. I could care less how much money someone else makes off it, and that argument is essentially somewhere else as it means nothing to me. I do not, and will not, give my money for them.

So, anyway, good luck on the project. If it ever sees print, I'll consider it. If it stays PDF only... then no thanks.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

PreviousNext