Judges Guild Compendium 1-6 1979?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:52 am 

I have a copy of the above issue, which I know is not of much worth.

However, my copy only has the amount of $2.50,  and nothing else,  in the round circle close to the banner around The Dungeoneer.  It also has a date or 1979 on the Table of Contents page.

Perhaps this issue is common, but would like to know if anyone else has the same copy.
Thanks.

Mary

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:12 pm 

Allison wrote:However, my copy only has the amount of $2.50,  and nothing else,  in the round circle close to the banner around The Dungeoneer.  It also has a date or 1979 on the Table of Contents page.

My copy has the number "73", the line-and-star design, and the price of "$2.50" as it should.

The table of contents page in my copy has a block of text that begins with "1979 by Chuck Anshell and Judges Guild."  Hmmm.  Thought this was published in 1978.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:47 am 

Well, mine definitely has what I mentioned.

My husband bought it in Decatur when new, but apart from that I know nothing about it.

I would happily post a picture if I knew how to do it!

Plaag - to whom I sent a scan - seemed to think that it is was a new issue, which is why I wondered if anyone else had a copy of the same one.

JohnGaunt wrote:My copy has the number "73", the line-and-star design, and the price of "$2.50" as it should.

The table of contents page in my copy has a block of text that begins with "1979 by Chuck Anshell and Judges Guild."  Hmmm.  Thought this was published in 1978.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:02 pm 

I believe Allison's copy to be a new printing and would make it a 1st just by the picture of the cover I got from her.  Looking at my printing order list the current #73 on the site looks to have been released around Feb 1979.  And going by just that list (as all my material is hard to get to right now) #73 is first listed in Dungeoneer 9 in an ad.  Someone would probably have to go through some of the Journals/Dungeoneers around that time to maybe place when they make mention of this product.
I'm sending you another email for further pictures Allison based on my new findings.
Oh and if Foulfoot can move this to the Judges Guild forums that would be great to, so as not to 'loose' it in these threads.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:08 pm 

Plaag wrote:I believe Allison's copy to be a new printing and would make it a 1st just by the picture of the cover I got from her.  Looking at my printing order list the current #73 on the site looks to have been released around Feb 1979.  And going by just that list (as all my material is hard to get to right now) #73 is first listed in Dungeoneer 9 in an ad.  Someone would probably have to go through some of the Journals/Dungeoneers around that time to maybe place when they make mention of this product.
I'm sending you another email for further pictures Allison based on my new findings.

ShaneG.

I am very much looking forward to hearing the results of your research into the compendium. My husband lived about an hour from the shop in Decatur, but doesn't remember buying this particular item.

He does remember when the new shop opened, with its octagonal shape. And he rememberd the first shop, in a more run-down part of town, which he said that he preferred.

Just bits of history. :)

Mary

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:00 pm 

Any chance of a picture on the thread?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:40 pm 

Very interesting.  Something new to hunt for.  The "must have every edition/printing" addiction is a terrible thing.  I too would like to see the picture.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:48 pm 

Its on my computer (I'm not using that one now), but I can either get it up on the site or here probably Tuesday.
Doesn't help that its product list is not new, nor the ToC, but I have something else to check when I'm able.  Was hoping for some more telling characteristics for saying 1st print, but I'll be checking other sources like the catalogs.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:21 pm 

Plaag wrote:Its on my computer (I'm not using that one now), but I can either get it up on the site or here probably Tuesday.
Doesn't help that its product list is not new, nor the ToC, but I have something else to check when I'm able.  Was hoping for some more telling characteristics for saying 1st print, but I'll be checking other sources like the catalogs.

ShaneG.

I will be more than happy to provide more pics or scans.

I will also see if I cannot locate the notes that I sent you some time ago, when, in my sometimes meticulous way, I was going through the spelling of various items that were in my copy, and comparing this against what I found on the JG page.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:30 pm 

Allison wrote:
I will be more than happy to provide more pics or scans.

At this time I don't think I need any more pics, but if so you'll get another email :) .
I'm thinking the one you have and the one on the site are near identical save for cover and possibly the information you gave me to check.
I hope to see if a catalog shows the cover from this one so that I can place it, but I'm thinking its a 1st by the lack of the Judges Guild name and #73 on the cover.

Allison wrote:I will also see if I cannot locate the notes that I sent you some time ago, when, in my sometimes meticulous way, I was going through the spelling of various items that were in my copy, and comparing this against what I found on the JG page.

I believe I've saved what you've sent, but it can't hurt as I've not touched the site much due to on and off computer use of my own PC.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:20 pm 

Uploading the cover here since I have time.  Did some searching and this cover shows up in the Judges Guild catalogs from the May 1979 - Winter 1980 while the later cover makes its appearance in the Spring 1981 catalog onward.
I was thinking the contents were identical, but seems there is one difference that I know of on page 3 (snippet posted below).  That text does not appear in the later one and in its place (the 2nd paragraph is moved up) is the drawing of a halfling. (no drawing in this newer printing)

Kind of curious about the above mentioned places, not for this discussion, but just mild curiosity.

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:56 am 

So The Dungeoneer is some sort of Fanzine? Or an actual JG product produced overseas?

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:04 am 

The first eight issues of The Dungeoneer are what may be termed a fanzine being published by Judges Guild. The latter issues, as well as the 1-6 Compendium repring are all magazines printed on newsprint paper very much like everything published by Judges Guild.

The reference to the UK is reference to the agreed UK distributor for Judges Guild at the time. JG was very difficult to buy through here, even with the distributor being appointed. I recall trying to buy CSIO and Wilderlands through Games Workshops Mail Order, and continually being told they could not get stock.

I'm sure Shane will be able to elaborate.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 am 

Actually 1-6 was edited/mostly written/released by Paul Jaquays, 7 and 8 by Charles (Chuck) R. Anshell with only 7&8 released through Judges Guild when Chuck joined them.  It was only with Dungeoneer 9 that Judges Guild had their name on those magazines and were actually involved with its publication.
You can read a bit about the history of the early Dungeoneers HERE
The 1-6 Compendium was to have been released around July 1978 from Charles (Chuck) R. Anshell mentioned in his letter released with Dungeoneer 7 but that seems to never have happened until he joined with Judges Guild.  I'm not on my computer but will have to check some other stuff now that I've thought of it.  Never the less the 1st 6 Dungeoneers are pretty cool items to have, though you really only need the Compendium to have a 99.9% of the information (Discs of Severen by Jim Ward seem to have been omitted in the compendium) if you don't want to spend money acquiring the originals.

ShaneG.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:26 pm 

I believe I have that cover version; will have to check.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:44 pm 

I found a post on Acaeum, where the issue without the 73 is mentioned.
about3722.html by Ed the Red, in Manchester.

Also, Plaag, I don't seem to be able to find those notes that I sent you! No idea what I did with them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:08 pm 

Allison wrote:I found a post on Acaeum, where the issue without the 73 is mentioned.
about3722.html by Ed the Red, in Manchester.

Also, Plaag, I don't seem to be able to find those notes that I sent you! No idea what I did with them.

Ah, before my time with the site, but cool never the less.
Also didn't even check about the notes email myself, but I'm sure I have it saved.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:00 am 

Couple things:
1st Allison guess I don't have an email with notes, though I've got a PM with mention for one product's description which I've changed on the site.

2nd to anyone with an accessible Dungeoneer 8 maybe 7 also.  Any mention within about Judges Guild?  Not expecting much as I don't think I can move this product into 1978, but if not I'm wondering how I'd move the '2nd' later other then the removal of the distributor lines.

ShaneG.

Next