Necromanser Wilderlands Boxed Set - Reasonable Price?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:36 pm 

After seeing the absolutely insane pricess being asked (but not received) for this set I was wondering what a reasonable guess would be to an actual selling price?

I've just started tracking this and haven't seen it recently, though I seem to remember one going for under $100 a few months ago (unless I'm mistaken, I could be, I'm not sure about that price).

Any Ideas?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:49 pm 

=> http://necromancergames.yuku.com/topic/ ... value.html ; posted recently enough by you-know-who ;)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:08 pm 

One just sold privately on an Acaeum auction for a shade over £40.
That said, I imagine shipping may have been a factor in the final price.
I would not expect a copy in the UK to sell below £50 in open auction, and if I were to list one, I'd probably be listing it closer to £80. So anything short of $100 for a copy in EX/NM condition is a bargain.

As with RAR, the shrinkwrap appears at present to have no decernable inpact on value (when compaired to a similarly mint copy without shrink, obviously). This is probably because of the production value (same box and book quality as RAR), the pedigree (it really is good quality stuff), and the fact that the general collectors market has not become focussed on d20 yet, certainly not enough that value differentiation is occuring accross the board in regard to shrinkwrapping.

In a nutshell, anything from $80-$140 depensing on condition, and how good you are at putting together a sale on eBay.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:56 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:After seeing the absolutely insane pricess being asked (but not received) for this set I was wondering what a reasonable guess would be to an actual selling price?

I've just started tracking this and haven't seen it recently, though I seem to remember one going for under $100 a few months ago (unless I'm mistaken, I could be, I'm not sure about that price).

Any Ideas?

I got a copy on eBay in May for only $69 including shipping (I think it had free shipping).  I was very pleased to get it at that price, as I had bid on a number of these from around Feb to May unsuccessfully.  IIRC, I was bidding $85 each time and losing.  There may have been one or two finishing over $100, but not by that much.  I would put the market slightly lower than mbassoc, maybe $70-120.

My copy is EX/NM, but not in shrink.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:01 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:After seeing the absolutely insane pricess being asked (but not received) for this set I was wondering what a reasonable guess would be to an actual selling price?

Last week I saw a box in shrink at my FLGS for sale at recommended retail price ($70, IIRC).  I guess so far it's escaped the notice of Judges Guild fanatics.

Shanghai fun & friends!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:41 pm 

stumbling tiger wrote:
Last week I saw a box in shrink at my FLGS for sale at recommended retail price ($70, IIRC).  I guess so far it's escaped the notice of Judges Guild fanatics.

And you didn't instantly PM me with the name, address and phone number of the game store?

This item was on Ebay for a while at $35 to $45.  Should have gotten it then.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:36 pm 

For what it is worth ... I put one of my extra shrink wrapped copies on eBay.  Final sale price should help add another data point to the collected knowledgebase.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:43 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:One just sold privately on an Acaeum auction for a shade over £40.
That said, I imagine shipping may have been a factor in the final price.

Yes, it did, though it went for more than a shade over.
It is a VERY Nice copy too. 8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:21 am 

I called it right almost exactly one year ago you nimrods. ;)

viewtopic.php?p=128377&highlight=#128377

But while all the attention is on this box set right now don't forget that a really nice minty D20 CSIO is equally as elusive.  Snag one if you can. :)

Who says my inspiration was D&D?  That was just a background phenomenon.
                                          -- Ken St. Andre

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:04 am 

Well ... for what it is worth ... a couple more data points for anyone keeping track ...

Necro/JG WoHF w/Player's Guide

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0575050850

Necro/JG CSIO

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0575050768

Congrats to the winners.

Steve

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:37 am 

WereSteve wrote:Well ... for what it is worth ... a couple more data points for anyone keeping track ...

** expired eBay auction **

Necro/JG CSIO

Congrats to the winners.

Steve

That was a nice combo with the players guide. Makes it a little hard to judge the individual value though.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 am 

WereSteve wrote:Well ... for what it is worth ... a couple more data points for anyone keeping track ...

Necro/JG CSIO

Congrats to the winners.

Steve

Thanks (CSIO Book).

FWIW:  My winning bid was also my high bid.  Exactly...

I was not going any higher and if I had lost, I still would not have bought this one....

With $23 shipping from Canada...

Not rediculous, just a bit much.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:57 pm 

As a side topic - How different is the material in the Necromancer boxed set compared to the original Judges Guild Wilderlands material?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:58 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:As a side topic - How different is the material in the Necromancer boxed set compared to the original Judges Guild Wilderlands material?

Expanded, greatly expanded. Every entry has a least a short paragraph. However except for places like City-State or Viridistan most don't go over three paragraph. However the entries remain the same. If it was a LG Orc village it remained a LG Orc village (and there are three in the Barbarian Altanis map).

It is best illustrated by looking at this download and comparing to the original Lenap.

http://www.judgesguild.com/pdf/lenap/lenap.pdf

For example this

2015         Shewolf        163        Men        6        CG        Gorogatan         10        CG        FTR        Man        Market       

Was written as this (by me, I did CSIO Map, Barbarian Altanis and the north half of the Ilse of the Blest)

2015 Shewolf (Village): Conventional; AL CG; Civ Level: 6; Tech Level: 6; 200 gp limit; Assets 4,075 gp; Population 652 (Able bodied men: 163); Mixed (human 79%, dwarf 9%, halfling 5%, elf 3%, others 4%); Resources: Market.
Authority Figure(s): Gorogatan, male human NG Ftr10.
Important Characters: Darnik, male dwarf LG Exp14 (respected leader of the mining guild); Karai, female human LN Ari8 (Lady  of the Exchange, appointed by the Overlord).

Notes: Shewolf is the market for various miners in this region. The gold from Omen is warehoused here before shipment to the City-State. The mining guild has an important hall here. It operates a very lucrative exchange market for merchants from City-State and Thunderhold. Shewolf is under the direct authority of the Overlord. Lord Gorogatan operates an elite force to guard the gold and the exchange.