Another thread about Tegel Manor
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:01 pm 

As some of you may know I have been making several errors in holding too closely to the Acaeum price guides data for Printing information and for valuatiuons of TSR and Judges Guild items.

As such I wish to beg the opinions of some of the experts here who KNOW Judges Guild like no one else I know...

Especially Tegel Manor....(in this case)

I have some questions about the Printing and valuation data currently listed for Tegel Manor.
For the 2nd and 3rd Prints to be specific.

Printing question first:
The copy I have seems to fit every aspect of the 2nd Print described in the JG pages (See Quote below).
Including the latest numbered item on the reverse of the Cover Sheet (The Treasure Vault) being Stock Number JG 160... (Journal 19) with no price BTW....
(It is the only item on the treasure vault list that does not show a price).

As I said above, the copy I have matches the 2nd Print description exactly... With a single exception...

This set does not have the smaller orange Booklet L; instead it has the larger 32 page white cover booklet as shown for the 3rd Print.
After several E-Mails back and forth with the seller, I am fairly sure that this set came this way when new.
The set is VERY close to Mint condition and none of it has ever been used.

The JG listings descriptions for the contents of a 2nd Print and a 3rd Print of Tegel Manor:

2nd Printing (1980): This has the lighter orange Guidelines Booklet L, includes the flysheet with a cover price and product list on back, along with a Character Checklist.  Product list is titled "Treasure Vault" with the highest number being 160.  Thanks to Alan Silcock for help with this info, and to Alan Silcock for the scan.

3rd Printing (1980): The format has changed to a standard and slightly larger book, with a color cover sheet and a double sided Character Checklist sheet.  Product list is titled "More Fine Products" with the highest number being 350.

Another question.
Is it the value of a complete NM Set of a 2nd Print Tegel Manor truly $3?
I honestly feel that this must be outdated.
Other than the GameScience Revised versions of Tegel Manor; I have not seen a decent copy of Tegel Manor go for less than $35 in a long time.
And those were either Third or Fourth Prints.
One of them was a Fourth Print that I bought off E-Bay for $35 and I was happy to get it at that price….
And even the GameScience Revised Colored Version will sell for around $25-30 too.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:15 pm 

Just my 2 cents, but yours wouldn't be the first item on here I've read about that has a "bastardized' format when printings have changed (i.e. uses parts of the previous printing along with parts of the new printing). They might have had some of the parts from the 2nd printing left over, but no more 24 page booklets so they threw a 32 page booklet in.

As for the $3 for a NM 2nd printing....I'll give you that any time you want to get rid of it...and that goes for anyone else on here too  :P  Just send me a PM if you want to get rid of it!

Again...this is just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:50 pm 

GreyM wrote:Just my 2 cents, but yours wouldn't be the first item on here I've read about that has a "bastardized' format when printings have changed (i.e. uses parts of the previous printing along with parts of the new printing). They might have had some of the parts from the 2nd printing left over, but no more 24 page booklets so they threw a 32 page booklet in.

As for the $3 for a NM 2nd printing....I'll give you that any time you want to get rid of it...and that goes for anyone else on here too  :P  Just send me a PM if you want to get rid of it!

Again...this is just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Yes, that was my thought too.
2nd print set with 3rd print books after running out of the orange Booklet L copies.

Thanks for your offer too; but I think I will hold onto this one for a while. 8)
I just got it after all.
Along with a complete NM copy of the Revised CSIO 4th Print.

According to the Guide for the JG Items that I used, I overpaid for the 2 Sets, but they really are in nice condition and it was a BIN (Both of them were in one listing).
So someone must think they are worth it.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:40 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Another question.
Is it the value of a complete NM Set of a 2nd Print Tegel Manor truly $3?

Unfortunately not. ;) Ditto for the 4th, probably...
Had raised that several times in the past, including in chat, and I'm pretty sure that's nowhere near the mark (and couldn't quite figure out how that might've arisen in the first place even if there had been a bulk/remainder purchase with such an early print).

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:58 pm 

Updated prices.
Everything else has been discussed so won't rehash.
That odd price for the 2nd print not sure how that got there, human error, so I'll take the blame for that.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:45 pm 

s'cool, Shane. Nice jump on the 4th as well.

May I ask about the 3rd now? Albeit even if that was owing to bulk purchases or only a small sample size that otherwise slipped the net on eBay, I'm sure that will be trending upwards pretty soon, too. :)

Thanks,
David.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:34 pm 

Can only change the price if one of them sells.  Its been a while for some of the magazines to sell on their own, but finally more have prices. (odd, but I was quite happy for them to not have been in bulk lots)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own