JG Price Trends
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:45 am 

Is it me, or have we seen a steady fall in the auction prices of the JG rares over the past few years?

Items like the Wilderlands 1st Printings (Particularly Magic Realms), CSIO, and FFC used to sell at a premium with Dark Tower and Inferno falling in nicely behind them. I can see that the presence of Acaeum/JG will have cleared the boundaries between printings in a lot of people's minds, so whereas DT was always just a copy of DT it is now a DT 1st or a DT 2nd, and therefor, maybe the 2nd printings are what is driving the apparent price down. Or are people just not collecting JG anymore? Necromancer having done such a good job of republishing CSIO and WoHF and all that.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:11 am 

What is your basis for the downturn of prices?

I haven't seen many of the rarer JG items for sale per se, as opposed to the glut of items that make up the D&D market.

Specifically:

-  FFC (any printing) would sell for at least $50.00 (just the book w/o maps)

-  First printing Tegal Manor usually sells for at least $50.00

-  And the people that sell Wilderlands usually ask for at least $50.00

- Inferno and DT usually sell for at least $35.00

This is just a very basic observation, and I have not tracked Ebay prices recently.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:25 am 

When I started collecting, I started with JG, the Wilderlands stuff, CSIO, etc., and I remember CSIO would regularilt sell for upwards of $100, FFC would go for around $80, with Magic Realms at about that too, and the other first printing would go for around $50 a shot. Inferno also used to reach $50 without a problem.

But there seems to have been a steady decline in the amount of JG rares available on eBay (although I have seen more tac card sets), and a corresponding drop in the prices they fetch, whether as a result of people not collecting JG (due to it's apparent difficulty to obtain) or a natural leveling off of the market. There are fewer newbies joining the ranks of the non-TSR collecting community in recent years, and no recent big spenders at the upper end.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 am 

I guess the only other question I could ask would be:

Were those complete sets (that sold for that much), or just the books themselves?

A lot of times just the books get sold without the maps.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:03 am 

I recently won an E-Bay auction for Wilderlands of the Magic Realm with the four maps for a total of $22 (Free Shipping).

** expired/removed eBay auction **

(IMO) I was lucky the seller listed the title quite badly; this was the title of the listing....  8)

ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS AD&D TSR VENTAGE

It is a third print and missing the color cover, but I think I got it for a very good price.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:05 pm 

Message as per other thread.
I remember selling both installments for $40 each in EX/NM condition, so at $22 you got a bargain. Especially if it is free or writing and doodles.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:21 pm 

. wrote:Message as per other thread.
I remember selling both installments for $40 each in EX/NM condition, so at $22 you got a bargain. Especially if it is free or writing and doodles.

Have not gotten the package yet.
As stated, the one I bought is a Third Print.

I Posted to that other thread in response to your post that the Second and Third Prints of Magic Realm do not have 2-16 page books, but one larger 48 page book.
JG Combined Installments V and W into one larger book.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:30 pm 

Yep. Now I gotta get me one of those too. Hadn't noticed the reformatting of the later prints.
Great buy. Certainly worth $50. Damn good material.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:58 pm 

Well there seems to be an odd trend with the FFC, despite being talked about soon.  The 1st print is slowly declining, while the later 2 prints have risen in value.  Inferno has been above $35 while its been tracked for the site.  Dark Tower has been all over the place regarding prices, but no real loss.  Auctions I'd say are what has gone down considerably.  1 here or there is pretty good, where before they came in bunches.
I'm sure the Judges Guild completest collectors have gone up though :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:38 pm 

As regards FFC, I prefer the layout of typesetting of the later prints to the first. I can also see the reprints of the JG stuff by GG and Necro having an impact on price. On the whole they are faithful conversions and convert well, which says a lot about the quality of the original products, but now a player does not need to track down the classic campaign material, as he can buy it faithfully reproduced and better presented than he'd be able to do himself for a fraction of the cost of putting together the JG gems.

I am even considering selling my humble JG collection, but still find those parchment maps disturbingly aluring.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:59 pm 

Yes, I agree, I really do love the older versions of the JG Maps.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:13 pm 

In May. I sold a 1st printing of Inferno for over $60 and was very happy with that. I also sold three books from the Wilderness series, but with only the judge's maps, so they did not go quite as high as I hoped but high enough. What I was most happy about was that when I sold the CSoTIO, it sold well and went to an excellent home! Takes time to research JG, but I find it very interesting.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:25 pm 

Plaag wrote:Well there seems to be an odd trend with the FFC, despite being talked about soon.  The 1st print is slowly declining, while the later 2 prints have risen in value.  Inferno has been above $35 while its been tracked for the site.  Dark Tower has been all over the place regarding prices, but no real loss.  Auctions I'd say are what has gone down considerably.  1 here or there is pretty good, where before they came in bunches.
I'm sure the Judges Guild completest collectors have gone up though :)

ShaneG.

I have been looking for complete 2nd and 3rd print for a while.  They come up less often.  I can certainly see why they are rising in value.  I would pay a good price for complete good condition copies.

Edit: I do agree that number and frequency of the more collectable items are showing up with less frequency.  No shortage of the common stuff though.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:13 am 

leadjunkie wrote:
I have been looking for complete 2nd and 3rd print for a while.  They come up less often.  I can certainly see why they are rising in value.  I would pay a good price for complete good condition copies.

Edit: I do agree that number and frequency of the more collectable items are showing up with less frequency.  No shortage of the common stuff though.

I think the JG market is directly influenced by Acaeum members.

When chatter here generates interest and higher bids, I see more JG items appear.

When I started collecting JG fantasy items there was a small bubble where prices on some items were still low.  For instance, Inferno went for well under $20 at the time.  I believe that talk about Inferno, here on the Acaeum shook copies out of the trees and generated bidding wars.  The same was true for other items...such as First Fantasy Campaign.

It isn't possible for the commons to go up in price because there are too many good Buy-It-Now deals floating about Ebay.

When a small wave of collectors like me filled in their collection niches, the wave of items like the Wilderlands of High Adventure and its sequels receded pretty quickly.

My suggestion...more chatter about JG items on the Acaeum!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:28 am 

FormCritic wrote:My suggestion...more chatter about JG items on the Acaeum!

I'm all for that, course in the regard of rising prices it won't phase me, but for others looking to collect they may wish items pass by quietly :)

So maybe less about price, more about how good something is, or better yet, how you can help with the Compendium part of the site :wink:  :oops:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:49 am 

Plaag wrote:, course in the regard of rising prices it won't phase me, ...

That's 'cos he's rich.  :D

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:34 am 

Please stop that chatter............. :(   :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:18 pm 

I guess what I have really noticed is the lack of JG auctions on ebay as a whole. Maybe it is the new ebay search engine, but my JG searches are turning up 1 page of stuff where it generally ran 2-4 pages.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Next