Paul Jaquays at North Texas RPG Con
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:21 pm 

Guys;

We are very lucky to welcome the legendary Paul Jaquays to the 1st Annual NT RPG Con!  Actually, we are very lucky he lives in the area, and is a very nice fellow who agreed to come and hang out with us.   Paul has said he will come and visit with us, answering any questions about JG, his artwork, his work in the computer game industry, and any other aspects of his career. A great opportunity for a Judges Guild historian or enthusiast!

Proabably not needed to be mentioned, but Paul wrote the best of the Judges Guild items published (Dark Tower & Caverns of Thracia among them).  He did tons of artwork for TSR (the classic cover of the Dragon's Mountain box set one example) and especially Dungeon Magazine (covers and interior).  He also did a lot of artwork for other companies (covers for ICE's Shadow World series) during the 80s and early 90s.  In the last decade Paul has worked on design for id and Ensemble studios (Quake, Arena, Age of Empires III, Halo Wars) and helped establish Guildhall, a graduate level program at Southern Methodist University focusing on game design.

Anyway, it goes without saying we are very excited to have Paul, as he hasn't been a part of the pen and paper gaming community in awhile and does not appear at conventions very often.  If you have any questions for Paul, we are going to try to set up a "live" question and answer session in person and online Friday or Saturday night; failing that, I will be delighted to forward any questions anyone here might have to Paul.  Actually, if I can get the chance, I will try to come up with a short set of questions and get a "one on one" with Paul at some time during the con.  Anything you are interested in finding out from Paul, just post it here and I'll try to shoehorn it into our conversation that weekend!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:41 am 

Also, as I noted in the non-TSR collectibles thread, he's putting up a pile of his library on Ebay.

And yeah, he's a great guy.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:20 pm 

Link please?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:51 pm 

leadjunkie wrote:Link please?

The link to the convention website is

. . . http://NorthTexasRPGCon.com

Paul Jaquay's current items up for auction are at

. . . eBay listings

He's had "better" or more RPG-related items available in the past.  IIRC, last week saw at least one piece of original art from Dungeon magazine.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:49 pm 

Paul has just told us he will be bringing some old pieces of artwork  to the con, and some of them we will be able to sell/auction to help support the con.  The sale/auction will probably be after the con on rpgmarketplace or a similar venue, we will keep th JG area posted.  Obviously we'll post scans/photos of the items when we get them in.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com