Bill Owen Q&A
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:41 pm 

Mars wrote:
That was me, Mark P., I will probably give it a good read and forward it on to Dean Houdeshel who wrote some stuff for the Judges Guild Dungeon Contests way back when.  I am selling some of the items he produced in the 1980s on his behalf (including the ones entered in the JG Dungeon Contest).

Thanks Mark! And you are about to get your $7 shipping back because I was too conservative to say free shipping on international... I figured I'd find out what it cost first before I discounted or fully refunded it!

Bob's buddy

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:51 pm 

Hi Bill,

I see that nobody has posted to this thread since December so here is a question for you.

Back in the early 1980's when Judge's Guild already had published items for Runequest, was there any discussion about producing anything for Call of Cthulhu?

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:48 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:Hi Bill,

I see that nobody has posted to this thread since December so here is a question for you.

Back in the early 1980's when Judge's Guild already had published items for Runequest, was there any discussion about producing anything for Call of Cthulhu?

Hi Jason,

I don't remember that. I sold my half in early 1978 and at that point we were focused purely on D&D. Bob then expanded into a lot of other systems and I did not really keep track of them. I played D&D at least into 1979 but our mutual game interests were only historical boardgames and miniatures. So I am sorry that I am only able to address Ancient Issues.

PS I will be posting some old D&D box covers on eBay this weekend, one from 1974 (woodgrain) and the other 1978 (white). All this time, they were being used to corral clutter and I just figured out that someone might want them!

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:51 pm 

I found some more old stuff... Bob & my SIMPLE FANTASY game rules (later REINCARNATION) notes (never published):

** expired/removed eBay auction **

And while the next one is not of interest to FRP fans per se, there is 1 page that I had forgot about. It is a form we used for costing products and mentions TSR royalty... and I was still using the form for a historical boardgame I was working on (WWII in Europe) in 1982:

Then there's the 49-year-old game that informed my business education:

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:02 am 

I uploaded a slightly different version of my jg history at lulu for print-on-demand and there's also a pdf option too...

http://www.lulu.com/landing/lulu_coupon ... coupon-fff
And I made a few small changes at my jg page:

http://www.g-design.us/jg

Bob's buddy

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:15 pm 

Discount Coupon does not work in the UK. US currency only.
I bought it anyways. Been waiting for it for a while. Don't want to open my hardcopy.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:19 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Discount Coupon does not work in the UK. US currency only.
I bought it anyways. Been waiting for it for a while. Don't want to open my hardcopy.

Thanks! I am sorry the coupon didn't work but it was Lulu's coupon not mine. Let me know if all is okay though. I have not even bought a copy for myself yet!

Bob's buddy

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:34 pm 

Just so everyone is aware....
The PDF version has no covers!
Was this a mistake by Lulu? The advertised page certainly shows the cover.
Is there any chance of a PDF file with the book covers, Bill?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:41 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Just so everyone is aware....
The PDF version has no covers!
Was this a mistake by Lulu? The advertised page certainly shows the cover.
Is there any chance of a PDF file with the book covers, Bill?

Yes, I'll either fix it or if impossible I will get it to you the way it should be.

I'm sorry for the glitch; it is almost certainly "operator error" but I will make it right.

Bob's buddy

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:04 pm 

Thanks, Bill.
IIRC, Lulu won't allow you to amend the file online.
You can delete the old one and start a new listing, but buyers of the old one will have to buy the new one again.
I'll PM you my e-mail address.
Ian

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:25 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Thanks, Bill.
IIRC, Lulu won't allow you to amend the file online.
You can delete the old one and start a new listing, but buyers of the old one will have to buy the new one again.
I'll PM you my e-mail address.
Ian

Yes, I think you're right that I will need to upload a new version. I think what happened is that the paper product has a separate cover that one uploads. Silly me, I assumed that they would include that cover with the download version automatically. But what I apparently need to do is delete that download option and then add a whole new project that has the covers as part of the whole pdf file in a 'unibody' construction.

Bob's buddy

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:09 pm 

Well, if you could e-mail me the new file, I'd be most grateful. The e-mail link below, or the one in my PM are one and the same.
Lulu would allow me to download the existing file until it is deleted, but they wouldn't allow me to bownload the new file without paying for it again.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:18 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Well, if you could e-mail me the new file, I'd be most grateful. The e-mail link below, or the one in my PM are one and the same.
Lulu would allow me to download the existing file until it is deleted, but they wouldn't allow me to bownload the new file without paying for it again.

Yes I will send you a complete file by tomorrow.

Bob's buddy

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:28 pm 

Prod.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:46 pm 

Got the covers out to Ian! And now I have TWO versions of the JG History on www.lulu.com:

1. Printed edition for $29.95 exactly like the one I sold last year via eBay except this one is perfect bound instead of saddle stitched

2. Download version for $17.50 WITH COVERS THIS TIME!

Just go to www.lulu.com/gamedesign

PS and there's a WWII veteran's memoir I helped him publish also. I got an email from him (he's 95 years old now); he's got tired of California and is moving back to Decatur! He wrote the book from a photographic memory a few years ago. Wow!

Bob's buddy

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:40 pm 

What have you been up to lately Bill? Been a couple of months so I'm hoping by pinging this thread you get notified.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:42 pm 

Plaag wrote:What have you been up to lately Bill? Been a couple of months so I'm hoping by pinging this thread you get notified.

ShaneG.

Hi Shane,

Thanks for asking about me. It's a topic small enough I can go on and on about.

Finished the 25-month software development yesterday so that's been my priority.

Done very little on the Hardbound version of the JG history... as I guessed might happen. By deciding to add more pages of photos and 'stuff' to the soft cover edition, I 'knew' that I would just lose momentum. So maybe it will be done this fall. And there will be one enormouso of a shocking admission in it.

If people have scans of weird/unique stuff they bought from me, I would like to include it in the hardbound version... please attach to me at [email protected] or in case my email changes check:
http://www.g-design.us/jg

I have been reworking the Civil War miniatures rules which has to be the world's longest wargame development--1974-2009 35 years! It predates JG and has an odd connection with JG besides. Being the wedge that we used for the reason to go see TSR for their permission! Anyway, in talking to Bob Jr., I would like co-release that with JG so I can't just send it off half-cocked. Or 99% cocked... needs to be 100% cocked.

Anyway, I have a bunch of local guys www.decaturgamers.com who say they want to give it a try since most are totally unfamiliar with miniatures being more FRP/boardgamers... so I have a great blank-slate test base! Rather than the usual grognards who want to wear high heels with pearls in their Sonderkraftfahrzeug! (Unbelievable!)

Bob, David and I had lots of fun with the ACW game when we weren't doing a Mexican hat dance with his son, Walter, roaming the underside of the ping pong table with a hammer to nail our feet with! Gave us a tiny fraction of the fear of imminent doom.

So that will get published  E V E N T U A L L Y  too. The ICD which was the original JG location was started in 1968 so 41 years in wargaming means I've seen a lot come ...and go.

I ran into Scott R. who I knew as a Civil War re-enactor from high school but didn't know he worked for Bob "for games". That's how I got half of my giant wargame collection that I sold for $25,000+ for software development but my work was royalty payments. Anyway it's nice to see some fellow 'kids' pop up--only he's a public defender and was the attorney general earlier! Almost a Judge, should join a Guild!

So we also wonder at how we don't play as many games as we used to and then one reads where TJ (Thomas Jefferson not TJ Kater, the elf warrior) said:

"When habit has strengthened our sense of duties, they leave us no time for other things; but when young we neglect them and this gives us time for anything."

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:09 pm 

Hi JG fans,

In preparation for more work next week on my larger (11x13") hardcover edition which will be much more expensive, I noticed that Lulu would produce a slightly smaller version of my original paperback edition (which was 8.5x11") for very few extra gold pieces.

1.        Judges Guild's Bob & Bill, A Cautionary Tale
First hardback edition July 2009. 8.25x10.75". Hardcover Print: $35.00

2.        Judges Guild's Bob & Bill, A Cautionary Tale Download: $17.50

3.        Judges Guild's Bob & Bill, A Cautionary Tale Paperback Print: $29.95

4.        Judges Guild's Bob & Bill, A Cautionary Tale Print: $??.?? (price & date to be advised)... not going to be via Lulu though but rather www.blurb.com

5.        Great Battles of the Civil War, miniatures rules that originally launched Judges Guild into the Dragon's Lair of TSR. Paperback Print: $??.?? (price & date to be advised) probably via Lulu.

The first 3 items are available now at http://www.lulu.com/gamedesign and just thought you'd like to know. Thanks for your past support and interest.

Bill

PS we are having a bit of resurgence of gaming here in Decatur IL due to the Meetup group www.decaturgamers.com which now is up to 50 members and may exceed either the ICD's or Judges Guild's membership count! That is getting me to playtest the latest version of the Civil War rules which I promised to Bob that I would publish "as soon as possible".

Bob's buddy

PreviousNext