Bill Owen Q&A
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:00 pm 

www.lulu.com has increased their discount to 30% off* ...with the coupon code of CYBERMONDAY good through 11:59PM pacific time Monday night ...which sounds like just under $84 plus postage.

*Or as Bob would say "go nuts" and order 7-17 books (i.e. $750 minimum) & get 35% off instead... MORECYBERMONDAY being the coupon code.

Bob's buddy

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:35 pm 

thanks Bill, i just ordered two. i needed at least one to be displayed on the table in front of THE MAP.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:40 pm 

stratochamp wrote:thanks Bill, i just ordered two. i needed at least one to be displayed on the table in front of THE MAP.

You're welcome! And thanks very much. Let me know if you like the convenience of having the map full size but across manageable-sized pages. That's why I included it since the City State was so huge.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:28 am 

Bill, would you mind if I asked a few questions about Supra Sentinels?

The teaser advertisement for it in Pegasus #12 implies it would not have been far (at that time) from being published. Was there a completed or near-complete manuscript?

Can you provide any info about what it would have been like? Who was the author, was it point-build or random-rolled, etc?

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:38 am 

Sorry to say that I don't remember anything about that. It was probably after my time. The only post-partnership products i had anything to do with was my name book and I'd drop in to encourage World Emperor's Creighton Hippenhamer who was the Children's librarian. The library was downtown like i was (Bob's 2nd location being way out on the NW of town) and he seemed a little lost. Or overwhelmed.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:20 pm 

Bill Owen wrote:I have gotten around to uploading the long-awaited coffee table edition of the JG history originally published 3 years ago with 36 pages. With 127% more pages (each over twice as big) with lots more pictures and text and most of the original pictures larger... this is a blockbuster!

Looks like there is some trouble with Lulu being able to print the book.  This is the second of two notices that I received from Lulu.

"It has come to our attention that your order cannot be completed because item 12178982 "Judges Guild's Bob & Bill, 2nd expanded edition (80 pages)" contains errors that are preventing the project from being printed. We have canceled the item in your order and have issued a refund.

I have also contacted the author to make them aware of the issue so a new project can be uploaded.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thanks,
Lulu Support"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:08 pm 

leadjunkie wrote:Looks like there is some trouble with Lulu being able to print the book.  This is the second of two notices that I received from Lulu.

How odd. I ordered a book and got a similar message and then about an hour later they said that they were shipping. Let me know if you get the shipping message shortly or if not I will call them and see what's going on.

I'm sorry for the hassle!

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:36 am 

Got my copy of the coffee table version yesterday...what a beautiful book!  The new pictures and additional maps are just amazing.  Too bad you couldn't have added more captions for the various photos.

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:32 am 

simrion wrote:Got my copy of the coffee table version yesterday...what a beautiful book!  The new pictures and additional maps are just amazing.  Too bad you couldn't have added more captions for the various photos.

Wow! Did you get FedEx Overnight service? Thanks for the kudos!

Re the captions, when I didn't place captions next to tje photos, I usually referred to them in the text. However, I suppose I could have written more about any given photo than I did. Get me started, blah blah blah blah and there's a new little book of its own (or free pdf)!

Seriously now that you've brought it up, I will look at it with fresh eyes and see if I really have more description in my memory. In the meantime, if you have questions about certain photos, do ask here and I will answer.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:06 pm 

Bill Owen wrote:Sorry to say that I don't remember anything about that. It was probably after my time.

Ah well, it was worth a try. Thanks all the same!

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:52 am 

Bill Owen wrote:
Wow! Did you get FedEx Overnight service? Thanks for the kudos!

Re the captions, when I didn't place captions next to tje photos, I usually referred to them in the text. However, I suppose I could have written more about any given photo than I did. Get me started, blah blah blah blah and there's a new little book of its own (or free pdf)!

Seriously now that you've brought it up, I will look at it with fresh eyes and see if I really have more description in my memory. In the meantime, if you have questions about certain photos, do ask here and I will answer.

I used the cheapest trackable shipping for the book due the cost (wanted to make sure it didn't get lost.)  It's a facinating look at the beginnings of the hobby, thank you for sharing your remeberances.

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:44 pm 

For a few days, the printed version of the 2nd edition had disappeared from www.lulu.com/gamedesign ...and now it is up again:

http://www.lulu.com/product/hardcover/j ... ht_452918_

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:25 am 

Lulu is running another 30% off sales through tomorrow 12/7/11 and the coupon code is WINTERSAVER305 ...this is in addition to my other discount.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:41 pm 

Bill Owen wrote:Lulu is running another 30% off sales through tomorrow 12/7/11 and the coupon code is WINTERSAVER305 ...this is in addition to my other discount.

OOPS the coupon code is WINTERSAVE305 ...without the 2nd R as said before.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:18 pm 

Bill Owen wrote:For a few days, the printed version of the 2nd edition:
http://www.lulu.com/product/hardcover/j ... ht_452918_

I managed to upload 15 preview pages... showing how I added new photos to  the first 36 pages plus new 2nd edition pages. Please note that the preview pages take a little while to load so if they appear to be blank, just give it a bit of time.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:49 pm 

I lowered the price of the PDF version of the 2nd edition to $29.02... but it doesn't show up on my main Lulu's page yet (http://www.lulu.com/gamedesign). Maybe tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's the pdf product's page that shows the right price:
http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/judge ... 9/18733734
They have another sale through 12/14/11 with coupon code of COUNTDOWN to save 25% ...and I don't know if it applies ALSO to pdf's or just print edition. If you can figure it out, then please let us know here.

I will keep the discounted pricing on both items for a time and then increase them. Which will sort of put a period on my "post-JG" publishing career! Thanks to all who encouraged this process, it's been fun!

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:27 pm 

The PDF is not on the site right now because Lulu said it was too crampacked full of pictures etc. I will try to upload again and tilt my head just right this time.

If you do not have the printed giant 80-page 11x13" hardback version that updates my original JG history, Lulu has a 30% off deal (maximum $50 savings) with coupon code SHELFSTOCK305 through 1/31/12:
www.lulu.com/gamedesign

Finally, I found some old stuff when unpacking down here: a (blank) box bottom* from a D&D white 3-boxed set. I can't see why anyone would want this but the guy who bought the box top alone some months (years?) ago. So if you are that guy, please contact me and I will drop it in the mailbox at the top of a Mayan temple.

*It was being used to store screws, bolts and such!

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:32 pm 

Another big of news: I "ran" into Tony "Book 2 to Bogota" Floren (who made it into the 2nd version) the other day on Facebook. In Bob's campaign, he was The Patriarch and I hadn't heard from him from the time he wrote me from college asking me to tend his estates in the game!

He's a big traveler and has worked in the travel industry (also like me) but software (which I've gotten into now) and so we share some interests still. Like planning battlefield tours. He says that he has played some D&D and wargames along the way.

Right before that I heard from Craig "Beorn" Fogle who played (and still is) a giant bear of a man. He found me on Facebook after not realizing I had moved to Belize saying -- I've wanted to retire to Belize! So funny how people will loop in, out and back into your life like big honkin' comets!

Bob's buddy

PreviousNext