Bill Owen Q&A
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:31 pm 

I just uploaded on ebay the descriptions and pics on the last 12 JG auctions tonight! They will end between 6PM and 615PM CST (City State Time) next Sunday. Okay it's really CDT (Central Daylight Time). My nom de plume is gamedesign4u...

My next step will be to sell my oldest boardgames and some miniatures stuff. But those will be in future weeks since the eBay process goes rather slowly for me. I always think I'm going to just write something quickly but I dredge up some weird memory or slant... and off I go on some flight of fancy. But in my old age, my marketing skills have ossified and I prefer to minimize what you are getting in hopes that the reality will be better than the marketing.

I did not answer a question about the introductory pricing on the Coffee Table Book (which is a lot of new stuff and enlarged pictures of the old stuff). Yes, I will start with the lowest and ramp it up weekly until it reaches a pre-determined level. Having said that, it will appear to be 'high' from the beginning since the book is a one-off art book.

Bob's buddy

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:25 pm 

Great auctions, congratulations! Unfortunately my last minute bids didn't even register!!! :lol:

$158 on the pile 'o stuff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0595989738

$90 on the TSR AD&D invitation

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:30 pm 

misterspock wrote:Great auctions, congratulations! Unfortunately my last minute bids didn't even register!!! :lol:

$158 on the pile 'o stuff

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

$90 on the TSR AD&D invitation

Hey misterspock,

I was bidding on the pile 'o stuff too!

I just lost out on the Judges Guild Bill Owen's Map Tube ONEof A KIND 1976-78

Lastly, I had no idea that this one was going to go so high:

Judges Guild ICD News & 1st Self-published game 1970-81

Best regards,

Ronald

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:53 pm 

I was stunned! Since most of this I had just passed over as not worth posting on ebay before (or just remembered the JG connection), I was thinking I would be lucky if got $300 total for the 12 lots (and some of the lots were indeed unrelated piles of stuff) ...instead $931!

Thanks to all who participated!

Just before 6PM, I was at my mom's house with my sister and spouses when I borrowed her iPad (at 91 after she got it, she asked "does the restaurant have wifi?" and I replied, "yes, but you do sound like a 19-year-old!") to check on the auctions. Just before 6PM, I was thinking, oh well, maybe $200 will be the total.

So after the auctions ended, when my family's jubilation subsided, my mom said "maybe you can sell opportunities to meet you?" (Always thinking!) But sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Then I thought maybe we should do a D&D Collectors' cruise (natural tie in with my real job) and invite various industry folks to do talks on board. Would anyone go? (Just need 5 cabins for the group rate.) Who should we invite?

Bob's buddy

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:02 pm 

The other question Bill is, where would you be going (to and from)?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:28 pm 

Bill Owen wrote:So after the auctions ended, when my family's jubilation subsided, my mom said "maybe you can sell opportunities to meet you?" (Always thinking!) But sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Then I thought maybe we should do a D&D Collectors' cruise (natural tie in with my real job) and invite various industry folks to do talks on board. Would anyone go? (Just need 5 cabins for the group rate.) Who should we invite?

Hey Bill,

Oooh depending on when it would be, I'd fly out from Hong Kong for it. :)

Best regards,
Ronald

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:21 am 

Could be anywhere but for a central USA departure point I was thinking of Houston or New Orleans... rather than L.A. or Miami.

I'm not just being modest when I realize that I have little to offer personally* to gamer cruisers (which is why I'd demur when Bob asked me to come to cons). Bob was 90% of the Guild's creativity and my only contribution was to get it into to print and provide a sales presence to the hobby shops and wholesalers. But every 'turn' (however long that might be!) another member of the old guard shuffles off and I thought it might be fun to gather together the 'party' for an ocean voyage to the rosy fingered dawn.

*My only qualification was that I had a near obsession for reworking crappy game elements from the Avalon Hill days. Sometimes just guilding the lily. But I was amazed that no one else had thought to present all the monsters in Alpha order with summary stats but all of us instead relied on a manic memory of grabbing and scouring the half dozen rulebooks, supplements, and TSR Newses.

Bob's buddy

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:52 am 

You should come out to North Texas RPG Con in June...  :)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:10 pm 

Tonight I have scheduled 10 Avalon Hill & SPI games (and one very rare item) to appear under my ebay moniker of Gamedesign4u and since they are listed under 'war board games' I thought should tell you.

I assume that no FRP collectors would be interested in these wargames but you might be amused by some of the comments, variants and play aids we made back then. If I had not been so obsessed about "improving" (?) these early primitive games, I don't know that I would have the experience, graphic skills or moxie to pursue JG.

So irregardless* I see a connection between the laboriously-made counterkeepers and handmade variants... and JG's freewheeling D&D aids.
*to quote my wild buddy Bob.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:39 am 

Found an odd bit of JG history that I was using on and off for 34 years: a notebook that Bob had written a to-do list on the cover. See:

You can see what we were puzzling about back in 1977.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:53 am 

After mere months, I've realized why I don't see to get forwarded private messages: my forwarding address (i.e. [email protected]) doesn't work.

So feel free to send private messages which should forward to the following or directly to me at my work address: [email protected].

I'm sorry that I have missed the initiative roll.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:59 pm 

Hmmm ... if a gamer's cruise be the theme ... wonder about the possibilities of a paddle-wheel steamer down the Mississippi from Chicago to New Orleans or some such. That is, if such things still exist in this modern age ... with a bunch of cutthroat gamers aboard and all ... almost appropriate to schedule around Talk Like a Pirate day ...

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 pm 

WereSteve wrote:Hmmm ... if a gamer's cruise be the theme ... wonder about the possibilities of a paddle-wheel steamer down the Mississippi from Chicago to New Orleans or some such. That is, if such things still exist in this modern age ... with a bunch of cutthroat gamers aboard and all ... almost appropriate to schedule around Talk Like a Pirate day ...

I have led 2 steamboat cruise groups (Columbia/Snake Rivers and Mississippi) and unfortunately the boats are scarcer than previously. They tend to be rather expensive compared to large ships. But with 10-12 people in at least 5 staterooms, we can get a group rate making it more acceptable.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:47 pm 

I uploaded my last eBay auctions tonight and while there's no JG/FRP stuff there's a big weird selection of odd stuff if you want to see my swan song... go to seller gamedesign4u

The main news is that I  hope to upload the final edition of the JG coffee table book shortly! I will be back here when it's on line.

Bob's buddy

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:00 am 

I especially like the rabbit.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:37 am 

Pat & I have moved to Belize and I have gotten around to uploading the long-awaited coffee table edition of the JG history originally published 3 years ago with 36 pages. With 127% more pages (each over twice as big) with lots more pictures and text and most of the original pictures larger... this is a blockbuster!

Leads off with an embarrassing correction of the first edition! INCLUDES the original, full-size versions Tegal Manor and City State maps. This is a hard-cover, premium paper, case-wrap, full-cover, double-swanky edition

If you order before 11/30/11, you MAY get an additional discount off the early-bird 20% or maybe 35% instead of 20%... here are the details:

https://www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php ... t=18697738

Enter coupon code STUDIOVIP305 at checkout and receive 35% off photo books and/or calendars. The maximum savings for this offer is $100. This coupon pertain to both new and existing photo books and/or calendars. Sorry, but this offer cannot be applied to previous orders. You can only use this code once per account, and unfortunately you can't use this coupon in combination with other coupon codes. This great offer expire on November 30, 2011 at 11:59 PM, so don't miss out! While very unlikely, we do reserve the right to change or revoke this offer at anytime, and of course we cannot offer this coupon where it is against the law to do so. Transaction must be in US Dollars.

PS DO NOT ORDER version 2.3 which is stuck on the website and missing new pics and typo corrections of version 2-4 which does not say v2.4 but rather Judges Guild's Bob & Bill, 2nd expanded edition (80 pages).

Bob's buddy

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:41 pm 

Bill Owen wrote:Pat & I have moved to Belize

8O

If Belize is good enough for a travel agent, then that confirms my positive opinion of Belize.  But watch out for the neo-drug cartels, the Guatemalan highwaymen, and the hurricanes.

Judges Guild's Bob & Bill, 2nd expanded edition (80 pages)

Using that link and the coupon, my total was $82.96.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:12 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Using that link and the coupon, my total was $82.96.

Thanks for letting me know that the coupon worked. I had noted a  coupon for 25% off thru today (with coupon code HOLIDAYNOW) but regardless figure you get the higher of the 2 and assume it's after my current $30 discount.

On the www.lulu.com home page they imply that they may have a better deal on 'Cyber Monday'.

I hope you like it!

We are 2 hours in land so no problem with hurricanes but I suppose closer to the cutpurses. Of course, we had nearly triple the crime rate in Decatur.

Bob's buddy

PreviousNext