Bill Owen Q&A
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:07 pm 

Lulu has a 10% discount on my JG book... I don't know if it's just for the printed version or also the PDF etc. Here's the url:

http://www.lulu.com/product/5215451?cid ... MERREAD305

...and it says eligible also for free shipping!

Here's their boilerplate: Use coupon code SUMMERREAD305 at checkout and receive 10% off Judges Guild's Bob & Bill, A Cautionary Tale. Maximum savings with this promotion is $10. You can only use the code once per account, and you can't use this coupon in combination with other coupon codes. Sorry, self-purchases (buying books that you've published) aren't eligible. This great offer ends on June 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM so try not to procrastinate! While very unlikely we do reserve the right to change or revoke this offer at anytime, and of course we cannot offer this coupon where it is against the law to do so.

No progress on the big coffee table version yet. I am in the throes of putting together tour documents for summer season so with 92 out the door Sunday to Alaska, I'm now burrowing into preparing 21 sets of personalized documents for Ireland.

Next 17 people on http://www.tourofbattle.com which only a wargame could love... but we also have a daughter of a wwii vet, retired guys, vets, a 3-generation unit including triplets and Al Nofi!

Bob's buddy

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 pm 

Bill Owen wrote:Lulu has a 10% discount on my JG book... I don't know if it's just for the printed version or also the PDF etc. Here's the url:

http://www.lulu.com/product/5215451?cid ... MERREAD305

...and it says eligible also for free shipping!

Here's their boilerplate: Use coupon code SUMMERREAD305 at checkout and receive 10% off Judges Guild's Bob & Bill, A Cautionary Tale. Maximum savings with this promotion is $10. You can only use the code once per account, and you can't use this coupon in combination with other coupon codes. Sorry, self-purchases (buying books that you've published) aren't eligible. This great offer ends on June 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM so try not to procrastinate! While very unlikely we do reserve the right to change or revoke this offer at anytime, and of course we cannot offer this coupon where it is against the law to do so.

No progress on the big coffee table version yet. I am in the throes of putting together tour documents for summer season so with 92 out the door Sunday to Alaska, I'm now burrowing into preparing 21 sets of personalized documents for Ireland.

Next 17 people on http://www.tourofbattle.com which only a wargame could love... but we also have a daughter of a wwii vet, retired guys, vets, a 3-generation unit including triplets and Al Nofi!

Well my Dad always said that the only way to visit Europe was with a Thompson (which some officer appropriated from him) and 3rd army.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:36 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Well my Dad always said that the only way to visit Europe was with a Thompson (which some officer appropriated from him) and 3rd army.

You know it's ironic how some things happen... several years after leaving JG and going back to travel, I arranged a custom group tour for a local guy who was sponsoring a reunion for his unit of 802nd tank destroyers to go back to the town they liberated in France: Pleurtuit. So he got about 40 men and their wives together and then there was some sort of terrorist attack. The brats of these guys who had fought their way across France in thinly armored vehicles talked a lot of them out of going. The little town still turned out to honor the party of Americans who did come.

When he was with the Rag Tag Circus (83rd Infantry Division), an officer commandeered his red chevy convertible he was driving to Germany.

*I helped him publish his book about his first 3rd of list life 1914-1945:
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/f ... per/373060   ...at age 96, he's pretty amazing!

Bob's buddy

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:29 am 

Bill Owen wrote:This great offer ends on June 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM so try not to procrastinate!

Awesome....except, why do companies do this?

It seems so obvious that they should run a special that lasts before and after the start of a month.

Why make an offer that expires before everyone gets paid?

So, a special deal that starts on the 24th and ends on the 7th...so obvious there must be a federal regulation against it.  Why?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:48 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Why make an offer that expires before everyone gets paid?

huh?

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:54 pm 

If you were wanting to get one of the Bob memorabilia items, maps or other stuff at the Cafe Press site we started together, CP is running a sale through our "observed" Independence Day... Monday.

Save 20% off your total order, excluding shipping charges, gift wrap charges and applicable sales tax. Excludes Gift Certificates, Flip Minos, SIGG bottles, CafePress Groups purchases and bulk orders. Promotion starts on July 2, at 12:00 a.m. (PST) and ends on July 5, 2010, at 11:59 p.m. (PST). All orders must be from the CafePress Marketplace. Offer cannot be combined with any other coupons or promotions and may change, be modified or cancelled at anytime without notice.

Go to
http://www.cafepress.com/judgesguild

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:03 pm 

There's a 40% off discount at Cafe Press so you can get a reprint of the ORIGINAL Tegel Manor or Wilderlands world map etc. for big discount at Bob and my site:
http://www.cafepress.com/judgesguild

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:15 pm 

Not knowing whether you will see this announcement at the other history section, here it is again...

As I am paring down my lifestyle drastically, it has occurred to me to sell all this stuff in my JG file because they are unique items, some with Bob's signature.

You can see them on ebay shortly (appearing magically at 1 minute intervals starting at 7PM CCS, Central City State time tonight).

I wrote up a 4 page explanation to go with the 3 little notebook pages. They have jogged my memory in astounding ways. One that I think is amazing now is that we did not go to TSR to ask for permission in the Spring as I have thought for years now. We actually waited until 33 days before Gen Con!

Since you guys have studied a lot of details associated with JG, I thought that you would get a kick out of the incredibly risky timing of this. Bob and I had already done a lot of work by then; what if they had said "no"?!

Bob's buddy

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:47 pm 

Sorry if I missed this from a previous post, but what's your ebay seller name?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:01 pm 

misterspock wrote:Sorry if I missed this from a previous post, but what's your ebay seller name?

The last time that I checked, he was gamedesign4u

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:08 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:The last time that I checked, he was gamedesign4u

Thanks. I remember now, he had sold that original map

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:08 pm 

Yes, duh, I forgot to put my ebay moniker...

eBay listings

PS and I messed up the start time so they all just arrived.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:17 pm 

There are 8 items tonight. And I will be posting 4 lots of miniatures next weekend. Only one lot will be fantasy oriented--I thought they were all gone but this is more from our original 1974-1976 Middle Earth campaign. The other 3 lots are historical but the ones that the JG staff had lots of fun with and there's lots in each lot!

1. WWII HO scale minitanks from 1970 including some from Michael Reese, the R of of GRT (Tractics) fame. We got a few games in at our 'city state' location on Franklin Street.

2. WWII Microarmor from 1970 that got a lot of playing at the first JG location on 16th Street.

3. American Civil War 25mm miniatures from Heritage that Bob and I bought as our last JG act. The goal was to playtest my 1970 ruleset so he could publish it. Dang it. I got'em camera-ready 3 times and just couldn't pull the trigger... so after 31 years of trying I'm quitting this project.

If you buy something in this week's auction, I can hold it over for the miniatures you bid on.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:58 pm 

Hi, Bill--

I don't know if you have responded to this question in the past but, my short/long term memory is ZERO! so please be patient with me. :lol:

I was wondering what the "status" of JG is, at present. Every site I go to seems very convolutingly enigmatic!
Is there new material being generated for the JG world?
Is it all pdf/pod through the site(s)?
Are they ever going to get back into stores/shops again?
How does one go about creating an adventure as a JG product?

Thanks for being patient. :lol:

"Here's to swimmin with bowl-legged wimin"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:53 am 

Thork N Hammer, Esquire wrote:Hi, Bill--

I don't know if you have responded to this question in the past but, my short/long term memory is ZERO! so please be patient with me. :lol:

I was wondering what the "status" of JG is, at present. Every site I go to seems very convolutingly enigmatic!
Is there new material being generated for the JG world?
Is it all pdf/pod through the site(s)?
Are they ever going to get back into stores/shops again?
How does one go about creating an adventure as a JG product?

Thanks for being patient. :lol:

Not sure that it's been asked! I can't say exactly because I keep up only loosely with Bob Jr. I think he works on PDF's (he posted one in the fall where he finished the project that his dad had gotten part way on)...
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_i ... 228&free=2

I think that he may be working on licensing. But you can reach him at [email protected] and ask!

Bob's buddy

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:22 am 

Bill Owen wrote:our original 1974-1976 Middle Earth campaign.

Did this lead to the "Un-named City in Middle-earth"? If so, where in Tolkien's world is it located?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:27 am 

sauromatian wrote:
Did this lead to the "Un-named City in Middle-earth"? If so, where in Tolkien's world is it located?

I was never aware of where or if it was located in Bob's mind there or if he had it noted on our original SPI hex maps of Tolkien's world redrawn. Marc Summerlott might know! I will try to ask him.

It's very possible that Bob never placed anywhere but in the Wilderlands which was a different world (so far as I knew; we were teleporting all around the universe and I didn't map any star charts!)

The maudlin fact is that I never played in Bob's game after we started JG.* So it was really a product and not a 'place that I visited'. Then I judged a game in 'medieval' Wales after leaving JG for a year or so and when that ended that was my last connection with fantasy games (other than boardgames--like Barbarian Kings from SPI which Bob and I enjoyed playing a lot).

*So the moral is that when you get into an industry, it takes special persons like Bob or Marc to be able to back and forth between work and hobby that are identical. Or maybe it was just me, I really needed a new hobby from gaming at the time I was in JG.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:05 am 

For those who want a reprint of the original 1975 Tegel Manor color house plan or Wilderlands etc., I think cafe press has a 40% offer. The reason I say "I think" is that the offer email* says "marketplace" and I don't know if the JG site counts.

But if you try and find that the discount keyword of POSTER indeed doesn't work, please respond with an email. Thanks!

*Save 40% off posters, excluding shipping charges, gift wrap charges and applicable sales tax. Excludes CafePress Groups purchases and bulk orders. Coupon code POSTER must be entered at check out. Promotion starts on January 21, 2011 at 12:00 a.m. (PST) and ends on January 23, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. (PST). All orders must be from the CafePress Marketplace. Offer valid online only, cannot be combined with any other coupons or promotions and may change, be modified or cancelled at anytime without notice. This promotion cannot be applied to past orders.

Bob's buddy

PreviousNext