Bill Owen Q&A
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:39 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:
I would disagree about copies doing harm.

They will only refer people back to the original. And since we all know who has it, it's a good thing...

I concur with this position. There is little evidence that copies of items in any form has harmed the underlying value of any collectables in the marketplace.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:06 pm 

And Mr. X and I have already corresponded and so far I can tell from email he's okay with the reprint. Plus he has a satisfaction guarantee for a full refund for any reason at all.

Thanks to all who have ordered already. The first 2 orders made it out this morning before the post office closed for the day. More will go out Monday.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:59 pm 

All this shoulda coulda talk has got me to thinking about what to do with this image. And I got a question via ebay message who I assume reads this forum also. So you're welcome to give me feedback on these iterations:

1. Original map: ...SOLD to Mr. X 11/24/09. There is no other map like it known to exist since the building will be gutted, if the workers find one in the ceiling (where we used to put tube stuff like this!) aren't likely to appreciate it.

2. Signed/numbered full-size (34x44") print edition... 21 of 144 sold to date. And with a store buying some, we could reach the half way point soon. I will arbitrarily increase the price at some point to reward the early birds who bought (it's good to be the king!) But if not all sold out, I will lay off Woody and cut off sales @30 days regardless. There's a fair amount of handling associated with this and I already work multiple jobs.

3. Cafe Press: 2010. 50% scale i.e. 22x34" unsigned and unnumbered... $50. No end for print run since its a robotic print-on-demand process. This low wattage funding helps Bob and I keep off-beat items in print and lunch money every month or two.

4. PDF of map image: 2010. Price similar to printed map. I know it could be less costly but it's a fund raising project for Bob and I of a unique item after all.

5. Finally, the map will be featured on several pages, full size in the coffee-table book (11x13" approx.) that has been talked about for about a year. This book may also be a limited edition or just a print on demand... not sure which yet.

This way, y'all can figure out which edition appeals the most and not feel bamfoozled for having to buy it twice due to lack of forewarning. I hope this posting will humanize (ogreize?) my position as hobby ogre for not anticipating all this earlier.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm 

No Name City map reprint's price increased from $25 to 29 tonight. 40 maps sold to date to individuals, 2 awarded and 14 to hobby shop.

Will stop selling on 12/27/09 or at 144th map sold, whichever comes first.

One guy's shipping tube got crushed and map mangled, so I will replace that. If your map got wrecked, let me know and I will fix it.

Anyone who is not satisfied need not have a reason, remember that there's a money-back guarantee, just me know.

PS tomorrow morning I will finish clearing out my building that housed the 1st Judges Guild office, lock the door and close on the building's sale. The 'real' City State will be abandoned, deserted and possibly gutted--that will be up to the new owners. I will be just 2 blocks away and will report on this "historic" site's next chapter.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:27 pm 

I can't seem to get my private message responses so I am posting in the clear for John:

Sorry for the delay in responding. We just moved our office so it has been Lawful Chaos here the last several days--with the coldest weather of the year. You can still find them on eBay through Christmas at:

** expired/removed eBay auction **
Name=STRK:MESELX:IT

The price is $29 per map plus about $5 for shipping. Thanks for your interest and support!

And Doug:

Yes, that's the number. Will redo and mail asap.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:26 pm 

FYI, with just 1 hour and 20 minutes left to go on the limited edition reprint of the original City State map, looks like we have sold 80! I want to thank everyone who bought one (or two!)

I had hoped to announce new nostalgia items but with my daughter home for Christmas, I have been having fun instead! Including making a flier for her business... so still engaged in the graphic arts regardless.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:32 pm 

Bill Owen wrote:SNIP

PS tomorrow morning I will finish clearing out my building that housed the 1st Judges Guild office, lock the door and close on the building's sale. The 'real' City State will be abandoned, deserted and possibly gutted--that will be up to the new owners. I will be just 2 blocks away and will report on this "historic" site's next chapter.

As planned, we closed on the sale and my last act was to change the big sign to say that we had moved. I have driven by the building just a few times since and they have papered the windows and changed the crumbling garage door into a big plywood door.

One of the last visitors to the old 'City State' was appropriately Bob Jr and his sons. With all the map signing that we have been doing together, I have gotten to see many of his kids.

While I miss the old building and disappointed about what it sold for, it was less of a loss than losing Bob Sr.

Bob's buddy

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:49 am 

Bill Owen wrote:As planned, we closed on the sale and my last act was to change the big sign to say that we had moved. I have driven by the building just a few times since and they have papered the windows and changed the crumbling garage door into a big plywood door.

One of the last visitors to the old 'City State' was appropriately Bob Jr and his sons. With all the map signing that we have been doing together, I have gotten to see many of his kids.

While I miss the old building and disappointed about what it sold for, it was less of a loss than losing Bob Sr.

Wow big part of your life changeing, good luck with the new digs:)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:45 am 

Bill Owen wrote:As planned, we closed on the sale and my last act was to change the big sign to say that we had moved. I have driven by the building just a few times since and they have papered the windows and changed the crumbling garage door into a big plywood door.

Sad to hear of another piece of Judges Guild being gone.  Memories though are what count, not the actual building itself.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:42 am 

Plaag wrote:
Sad to hear of another piece of Judges Guild being gone.  Memories though are what count, not the actual building itself.

ShaneG.

And just learned that the building was gutted. I took it like a body blow. I had still held out hope that they might gussy it up again. Now it will be as you say, a memory. And maybe something wonderful and very different.

The good news is that I have a new role to play... no longer a landlord. I can focus on other things.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:34 pm 

Bill Owen wrote:FYI, with just 1 hour and 20 minutes left to go on the limited edition reprint of the original City State map, looks like we have sold 80! I want to thank everyone who bought one (or two!)

Noble Knight is offering this now - are they selling the remainder of the print run, or are they re-selling?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:14 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:
Noble Knight is offering this now - are they selling the remainder of the print run, or are they re-selling?

They bought several copies to resell mid-way through the limited period.

Near the end, in a senior moment, I accidentally ran off more than I needed got Bob to come in and sign'em too and then discovered that I was overstocked.

But fortunately, I had 2 inquiries asking if they were too late and figured that it was providential and filled one order to France and am now waiting in the weeds to see if the other person or someone else pops up.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:13 am 

Yes, thank you very much, merci beaucoup Bill !

:D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:37 pm 

You're welcome!

Bob's buddy

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:33 pm 

viewtopic.php?p=151894#151894

Tegal Manor question. Don't know if you have time to browse the forum but I know Brant wanted to ask you about this.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:40 pm 

I responded at the other thread but just in case I screwed it up, here it is again...

Hi Brant,
I don't remember this but then I was around for the first version(s) of Tegel only. After 1978, I wouldn't be surprised if they did some creative recombining to put the leftovers of an earlier print run with later. I'm sorry that I don't have any recollection of this.

OTOH I do see Mark Holmer tonight so I'll see if he remembers! He was my fellow wizard during Bob's Tolkien campaign and later Bob's manager.
Bill

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:23 am 

Bill Owen wrote:I responded at the other thread but just in case I screwed it up, here it is again...

Hi Brant,
I don't remember this but then I was around for the first version(s) of Tegel only. After 1978, I wouldn't be surprised if they did some creative recombining to put the leftovers of an earlier print run with later. I'm sorry that I don't have any recollection of this.

OTOH I do see Mark Holmer tonight so I'll see if he remembers! He was my fellow wizard during Bob's Tolkien campaign and later Bob's manager.
Bill

I finally remembered to report that Mark doesn't remember any thing re Tegel... BUT he does have something else that will OF INTEREST to you'all. Please remain in suspense mode!

PS I posted the following elsewhere and thought it might be of interest:

One time I drove 150 miles to Astoria to pick up 5,000 Judges Guild Journals (too cheap to pay shipping... that's what the limousine was for) and they had all the pages scrambled! Normally, I'd negotiate a lower price and take'em (i.e early Campaign Hex System book). This time I said I just can't accept them, so they said go to lunch. Before I got back, they were done!

It's not that modern technology can't be even faster at times, it's just there are so MANY things that can go wrong compared to the mature technology of 1978... reordered the negatives, reburnt plates and fired up the web press in about 45 minutes.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 pm 

For those who wanted to buy my history of JG from LULU, they have a free shipping coupon good towards $3.99 shipping cost (i.e. free for the US & reduced for international mail). Must enter following code: FREEMAIL305 and order by 5/1/10.

The site is www.lulu.com/gamedesign

PS I am still planning on producing a larger, hard-cover edition that will include extra pages particularly the 2 original maps (Tegel & City State) in full-scale but will take 4-8 pages to present them.

Bob's buddy

PreviousNext