Bill Owen Q&A
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:25 am 

a very fast start..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:49 am 

Well it definitely will be the highest $ Judges Guild auction that is for sure.
Shall be fun to watch.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:34 pm 

Met with Bob today and we have some modest ideas so stay tuned.

PS he encouraged me to write my recollections of Franklin Mall (he and two of his sons walked through the ransacked building with me) which includes 48 of my 55 years. So there are a lot of stories. A few JG stories may surface that were left out of the JG history book. If so, I will add them to my jg page: www.g-design.us/jg since it will be 99% about the building, Franklin Travel, fellow shopkeepers and living in the apartment above cafe.

Bob's buddy

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:36 pm 

Plaag wrote:Well it definitely will be the highest $ Judges Guild auction that is for sure.
Shall be fun to watch.

ShaneG.

I just looked back and saw it ended around $750...so who's the lucky map owner now? :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:08 pm 

misterspock wrote:
I just looked back and saw it ended around $750...so who's the lucky map owner now? :)

I expected more of a bloodbath at the end.  It went quickly up to $700 and sat there for most of the week until the end.  Anyone know who l***l (143) is?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:14 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:
I expected more of a bloodbath at the end.  It went quickly up to $700 and sat there for most of the week until the end.  Anyone know who l***l (143) is?

Mr X... now to phase II.

Bob's buddy

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:46 pm 

Not to talk out of school . . . that would be stratochamp.  Coming just ahead of tfm.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:42 am 

Should frame that map.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:28 am 

Bracton wrote:Not to talk out of school . . . that would be stratochamp.  Coming just ahead of tfm.

I thought tfm didnt collect D&D related items anymore?   :lol:   I was very surprised it didnt go for more than the final price.  I figured it would top out around a thousand $ for sure.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:30 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I was very surprised it didnt go for more than the final price.  I figured it would top out around a thousand $ for sure.

I agree.  I had expected $900 at the low end.  This is the oldest surviving copy of what is arguably the most important city of the classic D&D era.  The closest analogy would be to an original floorplan of Castle Greyhawk.  One would have expected it to go for much more than, for example, some of the modules of questionable quality that sell for a small fortune due solely to rarity.  :P  Another victim of the economy, perhaps?

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:30 am 

Plaag wrote:Should frame that map.

Yep; that's what's I'd plan to do.
And I'd said the same to myself on several previous occasions... oops.

Nice win, Bill, 'grats: I know you'll do the job properly. :)

Bracton wrote:I agree.  I had expected $900 at the low end.  This is the oldest surviving copy of what is arguably the most important city of the classic D&D era.  The closest analogy would be to an original floorplan of Castle Greyhawk.

You hit the nail on the head there with "copy". Respectfully, I've never seen "oldest copy" be considered in the same light as "original", even if the originals or any other older copies no longer exist: therefore, I wouldn't draw any analogy (to Greyhawk City, rather than Castle?) on that score any more than I would a proof copy of Tegel to a not-quite-so-desirable ms. original.

That said, it's undoubtedly a good buy at the price. Hopefully you didn't frighten anyone off with your $1k+ estimate off the back of the early bidding when that certainly wasn't the intention here.

Bracton wrote:One would have expected it to go for much more than, for example, some of the modules of questionable quality that sell for a small fortune due solely to rarity.  :P  Another victim of the economy, perhaps?

Wouldn't have said so, if using your own analogy, given that the price paid is actually more than a level from Castle Greyhawk's floorplan.

Published mods do tend to command a better price relative to rarity than mss., originals, proofs, etc. in this marketplace because it means fighting over limited "resources" with a known origin rather than trying to guess the worth of a one-off item which no-one can up the ante on in order to increase resale value. Might not make sense, but that's the way it seems to go and unlikely to change from past experience.

Having said that, if you're comparing with... oh, let's say ST1... I might hesitate for approximate 25 milliseconds before agreeing with your particular comparison. ;)

02c/ymmv, anyhow,
David. :)

*off to buy shares in UV glass companies*

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:51 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

I thought tfm didnt collect D&D related items anymore?   :lol:  

** expired/removed eBay auction **

well tfm is just RUBBISH at not buying D&D stuff :wink:  8O

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:57 am 

[OT]
gyg wrote:well tfm is just RUBBISH at not buying D&D stuff :wink:  8O

*g* Good spot! Yeah, tell me about it, Carl; viewtopic.php?p=148615#148615 ;)

(And still not quite sure how to reconcile that site price update since then with those copies selling for $2k+ previously, to say nothing of "+50%" being a way OTT markup IMHO for SW on certain items such as oB3s and 10th Anniversary box sets - especially when that's shredded and torn, or warping the book :)).

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:57 pm 

As suggested by Bob Jr, I have had the local blueprint shop make copies of the original map that just sold for $749... and we are making a limited edition available to JG fans as a "reprint" (144 copies). Bob Jr. and I are signing them also... and making this a little fun/d raising project.

When I made my limited edition history book, I had a store buy up dozens so don't miss it by waiting around on Uranus wondering when and whether.

You can find it here:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

*I gave Bob Jr. #1 and the buyer of the original map, Mr. X, #2 and is my tradition, I will only keep the map that I ruin by stepping on it or ripping it.

Bob's buddy

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:56 pm 

I don't remember seeing anything in the auction for the original that copies were going to be made for sale.  I hope the buyer had fore knowledge of this.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:18 pm 

I wondered this myself. Though the new item is clearly that (new) I cannot help but feel that this slightly dilutes the desirability  of the 'real deal' (see Faro's post above). That having been said, this will always be a fairly contentious subject and really comes down to diversity of opinion - 'do copies harm.... blah,blah,blah etc ad infinitum'.
Arguments on both sides of this are usually quite compelling, and I've never reallly decided one way or another, mainly because it's not something that will ever impact me personally :roll: .
I would hope though, that this new fun/d raising venture was made clear to the buyer at the time.

edited due to putting seller instead of buyer- d'oh

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:22 pm 

leadjunkie wrote:I don't remember seeing anything in the auction for the original that copies were going to be made for sale.  I hope the buyer had fore knowledge of this.

Why? The auction was for a specific copy not reprint or copyrights?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:31 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Why? The auction was for a specific copy not reprint or copyrights?

A very fair comment, of course. There can be no argument that this is absolutely the case.
But glad it wasn't my $750. 8O

PreviousNext