Compendium (Now seeking help)
Author

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:15 pm 

I just noticed the compendium link on the front page.  Am I last to the party?  How long has that link been hiding there?

The real question... Plaag, is that just a tease, or are you ready to start building that thing?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:50 pm 

Its been there for some time as a sort of test to see how it'd look.  Didn't tell anyone, so you are not last to the party.  When the time is right, I hope to see if it is something good to go.  But I'll be sure to announce things should I get the OK and am ready.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:25 am 

Well I'm pleased to announce Bob has given permission to create the Judges Guild Compendium.  The Compendium can currently be found linked to the word 'Compendium' on the Booty List main page: http://www.acaeum.com/jg/ or more easily here: http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Compendium/Jud ... mMain.html
This Compendium will be a list of the people, places, etc from the various Judges Guild related products with small blurbs about each. It would be very bare bones, and provide an encyclopedic guide rather than a true game-level guide.
So how can you help: Any amount of information you can provide will be appreciated, just look in your various Judges Guild materials and jot down a list of names, page numbers and/or any related information pertaining to those names.  Do not post any material to forums, rather send them to JudgesGuild(at)Acaeum.com with Compendium someplace in the title preferably.  Alternatively if you have any Web Based design experience I may need some help with that.

Thanks for your time,
ShaneG.
JudgesGuild(at)Acaeum.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:40 am 

Plaag wrote:Well I'm pleased to announce Bob has given permission to create the Judges Guild Compendium.  The Compendium can currently be found linked to the word 'Compendium' on the Booty List main page: http://www.acaeum.com/jg/ or more easily here: http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Compendium/Jud ... mMain.html
This Compendium will be a list of the people, places, etc from the various Judges Guild related products with small blurbs about each. It would be very bare bones, and provide an encyclopedic guide rather than a true game-level guide.
So how can you help: Any amount of information you can provide will be appreciated, just look in your various Judges Guild materials and jot down a list of names, page numbers and/or any related information pertaining to those names.  Do not post any material to forums, rather send them to JudgesGuild(at)Acaeum.com with Compendium someplace in the title preferably.  Alternatively if you have any Web Based design experience I may need some help with that.

Thanks for your time,
ShaneG.
JudgesGuild(at)Acaeum.com

That's a wonderful project. I'll help out any way I can. Is it for the older material only or are you including the recently published/reprinted stuff as well?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:06 am 

JZavoda wrote:
That's a wonderful project. I'll help out any way I can. Is it for the older material only or are you including the recently published/reprinted stuff as well?

Everything, but things will be delegated as to the source, so if there are two versions of some person for example, they will be listed as version JG, Nec, AGP, etc.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:11 am 

Plaag wrote:
Everything, but things will be delegated as to the source, so if there are two versions of some person for example, they will be listed as version JG, Nec, AGP, etc.

ShaneG.

When I did the Greyhawk index one of the things that helped was to make a note as I went along as to what type of thing was being listed, person, place or thing, and to make it as specific as possible. I normally used three letters such as NPC for people, MON for monster, KNG for kingdom and so on.  There is also the question of how to list characters with more than one name. Do they have family names, are they the Smith's, for example or would you list John Smith under J or under S. Easy to say with the names that we use, but difficult with fantasy names.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:08 am 

Yeah have been pondering how the names will go, and may stick with NPS being the name as written, while places with 'of' or 'of the' like Isle of Taka becoming Taka, Isle of or City State of the Invincible Overlord becoming Invincible Overlord, City State of the.
Nothing is set in stone though, so open to ideas.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:50 am 

Plaag wrote:Yeah have been pondering how the names will go, and may stick with NPS being the name as written, while places with 'of' or 'of the' like Isle of Taka becoming Taka, Isle of or City State of the Invincible Overlord becoming Invincible Overlord, City State of the.
Nothing is set in stone though, so open to ideas.

ShaneG.

you might want to have multiple listings of some names and categorize types of places, such as having all the cities tagged CTY and all the forests or woods tagged WD, same with bodies of water, towns, villages, manors, castles, etc... tagged specificly so they can be searched for as a specific type of listing. Of course the type of indexing I worked on in the past was one monster document but now a search engine could find and retrieve seperate keyword listings.  

The thing is that you save a vast amount of time by gathering and organizing the data by a specific method the first time around rather than going back over the same source material again, and again, and again.

But you can just harvest nouns the first time. There are problems when further information is only refrenced by pronoun, such as having a woman's name mention on one page and then having her refered to simply as 'she' or 'her' for the next half-dozen pages.

I'm starting on the new Wilderlands boxed set and I can send you a few pages of rough data when I've typed it up if you'd like.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:12 pm 

Sign me up.  Make a few entries demonstrating a format you would like to use for people, places & monsters, so that I can emulate your format.  If you have no objection I would like to start with Shield Maidens of Sea Rune.

The previous suggestions for organization are good.  The more that can be determined in advance on organizational method and format, the better.  It will require less work for you to integrate it.

I would also suggest that anyone doing write-ups underline words that may have an entry of their own.  This will flag Shane to insert a hyperlink.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:49 pm 

Under the 'T' list can be found some entires regarding people and places, if its a monster may just include a physical description and perhaps location (not hex #, but like is found near the mouth of River Modron).

Oh and good point about underlining words that could be entries, you'll see that in some of my examples.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:11 am 

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Compendium/JGC ... slore.html

While not every entry is in the Lettered lists, just wanted to show something fairly complete and get input (what may need to be added, changed, etc.)

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:26 am 

Plaag wrote:http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Compendium/JGC ... slore.html

While not every entry is in the Lettered lists, just wanted to show something fairly complete and get input (what may need to be added, changed, etc.)

ShaneG.

It looks good so far. Something like this is going to get fairly massive. You may want to work on basic information formats such afor specific types of entries such as

Characters

name:
title/rank/alias:
race:
level:
description from text:
etc...

Cities/towns/Villages

name:
Population:
etc...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:34 pm 

Bump.  Can you give us a project status Plaag??

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:02 am 

Geoff Dale wrote:Bump.  Can you give us a project status Plaag??

Kind of on hold..RL taking up my time.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:02 pm 

If you haven't been checking the updates, I've slowly been working on this again.  Would still love help of course.  Only Mines of Custalcon has been added fully though there is still a couple of pictures that need to be put up.  Just need to figure out what size I want them at and placement.
Right now I'm working on Spies of Lightelf.

ShaneG.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:28 pm 

Plaag wrote:If you haven't been checking the updates, I've slowly been working on this again.  Would still love help of course.  Only Mines of Custalcon has been added fully though there is still a couple of pictures that need to be put up.  Just need to figure out what size I want them at and placement.
Right now I'm working on Spies of Lightelf.

ShaneG.

Any chance of a Wiki instead?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:52 pm 

A couple things about a wiki version: I've been given permissions doing it the way it is on the site (By both Bob Bledsaw 1st and Marc - for the Traveller stuff if I choose to do so).  And I want there to be control on what is posted which I feel wiki won't provide.  Course I've had no time to do anything with it in ages.

ShaneG.