Robert Bledsaw, Founder of Judges Guild, Has Died
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:58 pm 

Plaag wrote:I must say I think I understand some of you grognards now, as the game was a great time for all.  It was just so much fun.

Hey now just hold on there!  I object to that language.  Some of us who are playing OD&D are not frumpy old grognards.  Some of us are enlightened young uns.  Let's get that straight.  :)

On that note thank the gods for guys like Bob who left us this rich legacy of old gaming material that is still relevant today.  I'm very sorry he's gone and my condolences to those who knew him best.

That game does sounds like it was kick-ass.  I don't actually own the original City State and now I have to go chase one down just to see what you guys did.  But it's because of sites like this that late comers like myself know what to look for and can enjoy Bob's legacy too.  Shops like AGP are furthering that interest with their new products based on love and experience of the past works.  Thanks Guys!   It will be as fitting a tribute to Bob as any if more people start cracking open their white boxes (and brown ones too!) and then start chasing down JG material new and old to play the game.  I'm sure he will like that.   :wink:

Cheers!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:57 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:
Indeed, as others have been inspired to put together various GaryCons in honor of Gary, I think a "BobCon" or maybe a "Wilderlands Faire" or "Guildmember Conclave" would be in order to honor Bob and celebrate his works.

Many things to consider when thinking of this. Likely the best thing to do is to hold it as a "sub-Con" at Gen Con or Origins, or perhaps as a bookend con to either of those (i.e., the day or two before or after Gen Con in Indianapolis), to enable more people to make it to the event. A special event, a con in and of itself in Decatur (perhaps in May, the month of Bob's birthday) might work.

I dunno. Certainly nothing major will happen this year; no time, and many things are up in the air with Gen Con especially. If nothing else, though, a memorial game at Gen Con and LGGC for certain...

I wish we had more room at Al's Tegel Manor game; a good time was had by us all last year. Hopefully it will become an annual event. Also the idea of having a specific JG event at an existing con is a great idea. I will definitely begin planning something for the Dallas/FW area should anyone want to particpate; both Lazy Dragon Con in McKinney (July 18-20) and Fencon in Addison (October 3-5) have open gaming areas (at least that's what their schedules say); don't know what G-Kon in Arlington will be like this year, I think they are pretty much all cards and electronic gaming, but they also have open areas (I think). If enough area people want to meet at any of these (say, at least five of us) I'll DM something JG related.  

Let's get some old school JG stuff planned for other cons!  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:12 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I will definitely begin planning something for the Dallas/FW area should anyone want to particpate; both Lazy Dragon Con in McKinney (July 18-20) and Fencon in Addison (October 3-5) have open gaming areas (at least that's what their schedules say). If enough area people want to meet at any of these (say, at least five of us) I'll DM something JG related.  

Let's get some old school JG stuff planned for other cons!  

Mike B.

Count me in Mike.  Being in the D/FW area, I'd like to meet you even if one of the Cons does not work out.

Marshall

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:15 pm 

serleran wrote:For those of us unable to attend, thank you for the write up. Vicarious experiences can be worthwhile, after all.

I second Serleran's observation.  I appreciate the small glimpse you have afford us.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:18 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:
Indeed, as others have been inspired to put together various GaryCons in honor of Gary, I think a "BobCon" or maybe a "Wilderlands Faire" or "Guildmember Conclave" would be in order to honor Bob and celebrate his works.

Many things to consider when thinking of this. Likely the best thing to do is to hold it as a "sub-Con" at Gen Con or Origins, or perhaps as a bookend con to either of those (i.e., the day or two before or after Gen Con in Indianapolis), to enable more people to make it to the event. A special event, a con in and of itself in Decatur (perhaps in May, the month of Bob's birthday) might work.

I dunno. Certainly nothing major will happen this year; no time, and many things are up in the air with Gen Con especially. If nothing else, though, a memorial game at Gen Con and LGGC for certain...

James - if there is some way I can help at my remote distance, please let me know.  I can work the phone, perhaps arrange for discounted printing, provide a little seed money... just give the word.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:15 am 

jamesmishler wrote:If we wanted to do something more formal, maybe we could figure out a way to put together a small scholarship for engineering students at Millikin University where he attended. $500 smackers to help pay for books might be something we can put together. After all, it was Bob's engineering training that enabled him to make those awesome maps.

I agree.  It would be very nice for us gamers to do something like this for Bob.  I know that between this board and the Necromancer Games board there should be a number of folks willing to contribute.  We might want to start a thread dedicated to this topic.  I really want to see the gaming community pull together with something nice for Bob in his honor.  Somthing his family could be proud of.

John

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:35 am 

Once the family has had enough time to grieve we shall work with them on a Robert E. Bledsaw Memorial Scholarship. I definitely want to make sure this works with the family.

Same for any sort of major events honoring Bob. By all means, please run memorial games at local conventions, shops, in your home, and so forth. Once the family is "up and running' again we'll get things coordinated for a bigger push at Gen Con, Origins, or major regional conventions (or maybe even its own event).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:59 am 

jamesmishler wrote:Once the family has had enough time to grieve we shall work with them on a Robert E. Bledsaw Memorial Scholarship. I definitely want to make sure this works with the family.

Same for any sort of major events honoring Bob. By all means, please run memorial games at local conventions, shops, in your home, and so forth. Once the family is "up and running' again we'll get things coordinated for a bigger push at Gen Con, Origins, or major regional conventions (or maybe even its own event).

James;

Al and I have a few ideas for the Gencon Tegel Manor game; something along the lines of selling t-shirts to all the participants and kicking back part of the sales to the fund.  Just let us know when you get something definite planned and hopefully by then we can make a donation.

What is the procedure/status if someone wanted to use the JG logo to promote an event relating to a Bob memorial game?  Who do we need to talk to if, say, we wanted to make a handout sheet promoting the game and wanted to included the logo?  Or as long as it's not for profit (i.e., just a fun game with a group) does there even need to be any consideration?

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:17 pm 

Badmike wrote:
James;

Al and I have a few ideas for the Gencon Tegel Manor game...

Sounds like a good plan!

What is the procedure/status if someone wanted to use the JG logo to promote an event relating to a Bob memorial game?  Who do we need to talk to if, say, we wanted to make a handout sheet promoting the game and wanted to included the logo?  Or as long as it's not for profit (i.e., just a fun game with a group) does there even need to be any consideration?

The logo is trademarked, and with trademarked materials one always needs permission (even simply with copyrighted materials and/or not-for-profit it is best to get permission). From our brief discussions on the subject to date, Bob Junior will be the day-to-day handler of all Judges Guild details (his two brothers were never really involved with the Guild).

I can easily see working out with Bob the ability for groups to use the logo for promotion on handouts at conventions; a blanket kind of thing where no oversight would be needed. For placing advertisements in books or online, though, there would probably need to be at least a form letter of written permission.

I will speak with Bob Junior in the next week and see how things are going. The family will need a couple weeks to recover; remember, Bob was living with them from the time he was diagnosed, with all that entails. So they need time to rest and recouperate.

Believe me, I am as eager to get things going as anyone. But we need to respect Bob's family's needs, too.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:26 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:
The logo is trademarked, and with trademarked materials one always needs permission (even simply with copyrighted materials and/or not-for-profit it is best to get permission). From our brief discussions on the subject to date, Bob Junior will be the day-to-day handler of all Judges Guild details (his two brothers were never really involved with the Guild).

I can easily see working out with Bob the ability for groups to use the logo for promotion on handouts at conventions; a blanket kind of thing where no oversight would be needed. For placing advertisements in books or online, though, there would probably need to be at least a form letter of written permission.

I will speak with Bob Junior in the next week and see how things are going. The family will need a couple weeks to recover; remember, Bob was living with them from the time he was diagnosed, with all that entails. So they need time to rest and recouperate.

Believe me, I am as eager to get things going as anyone. But we need to respect Bob's family's needs, too.

Gotcha James, that's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.  I assume they would not want the logo placed willy-nilly everywhere, or sold on shirts, etc.  This was more along the lines of "Hey, we have a old school game at Convention X using JG materials" and having the logo at the top.  But Im sure more info will come out as time goes on.  We'll keep checking back here on the forum as time goes on.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:37 pm 

Badmike,

There is plenty of JG apparel to be found on their Cafe Press site any of which you could use to promote a Wilderlands game, without much trouble.

http://www.cafepress.com/judgesguild/310221

John

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:56 pm 

shadowfx wrote:Badmike,

There is plenty of JG apparel to be found on their Cafe Press site any of which you could use to promote a Wilderlands game, without much trouble.

http://www.cafepress.com/judgesguild/310221

John

Just not the thong please :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:59 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Just not the thong please :)

ShaneG.

Holy crap, I am SO wearing the thong and gimme cap to the Tegel Manor game!!!!! WHAAAHOOOOOO!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:10 am 

Badmike wrote:
Holy crap, I am SO wearing the thong and gimme cap to the Tegel Manor game!!!!! WHAAAHOOOOOO!

Mike B.

God, that thong takes me back.

It was practically the first thing I posted about on the Acaeum...within the first week or so, at least.
 8O

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:15 am 

James

i will be PMing you about this too, but this is what i have planned.

the game i DM at GenCon will be in honour of Bob Bledsaw and E.Gary Gygax.

the adventure will be based around Tegel Manor, modified by me, to be happening some years after the original adventure (which was played at GenCon last year).

i will be making several copies of the adventure. 1 will be the unique DMs copy, to be kept by myself, 1 copy for my daughter, 6 player copies and 1 copy which i will give to you, which can be used in whatever form you wish, to do with something done in rememberance.

so for instance, if you ever go along to a con and it has something related to Bob, you could possibly DM this adventure and then it will have some cool relevance that way.

hope this will be ok?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:47 pm 

james

thanks for the chat dude. hope i didnt interrupt you in your business and i apologise for it being rather longer than 5 minutes  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

i cannot wait for GenCon man....very very very evil snigger  :twisted:

best

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Previous