Tegel Manor... which version?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:32 pm 

Hi, I'm still kinda new here, introduced myself in the introductions thread in the collectors forum...

Anyway, I'm currently running a Hackmaster (basicly AD&D 1st/2nd Ed. with extras) campaign, and recently got Tegel Manor recommended, so my question to you is this. Which version of Tegel Manor should I get? How much should I pay for it, etc.

Thank you. :)

Corrected minor spelling errors :O

M. Parthes
FINDNPLAY.COM

"PC's are like snowflakes; Ephemeral things destined to vanish very shortly after their creation."

Last edited by Iluvatar on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:59 pm 

Al, Al, where are you?!

Personally I've never had one so I couldn't say - though someone regular to these boards would have to say something along the lines of....

make sure you make a shrewd choice (sorry Mike!)

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:41 pm 

gyg wrote:make sure you make a shrewd choice (sorry Mike!)

I'll keep that in mind :D

Basicly what it boils down to is if I should get one of the original Judges Guild versions or if I'm better of with the revised and expanded Gamescience reprint...

M. Parthes
FINDNPLAY.COM

"PC's are like snowflakes; Ephemeral things destined to vanish very shortly after their creation."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:04 am 

That depends a great deal on the amount of work you want to do with it. The earlier versions are more skeletal in approach, sort of like a MAD LIB in a sense, whereas the Gamescience version is more like a typical module of the AD&D era, with things basically given to you. In my opinion, the original version is superior since it encourages uniqueness and extended playability because its never the same twice, even when ran by the same person -- each "blank" is filled in as needed; the other version is rather static in comparison, but its not a band module... just different.

As far as pricing: I dunno. I got my Tegel Manor Gamescience version for $20 at Crazy Egor's, as I recall. The original version (mind you I do not have a true 1st print) cost about $80, but I've heard it being more, and of it being less.

Or, you could wait and get the 4e version from Necromancer Games... that'll likely have a lot of "handholding."

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:44 am 

serleran wrote:That depends a great deal on the amount of work you want to do with it. The earlier versions are more skeletal in approach, sort of like a MAD LIB in a sense, whereas the Gamescience version is more like a typical module of the AD&D era, with things basically given to you. In my opinion, the original version is superior since it encourages uniqueness and extended playability because its never the same twice, even when ran by the same person -- each "blank" is filled in as needed; the other version is rather static in comparison, but its not a band module... just different.

As far as pricing: I dunno. I got my Tegel Manor Gamescience version for $20 at Crazy Egor's, as I recall. The original version (mind you I do not have a true 1st print) cost about $80, but I've heard it being more, and of it being less.

Thanks, that was actually kinda helpful. I'll probably keep an eye out for the original version and see if I get lucky. I did stumble upon the Gamescience version earlier today, nobleknight has it for $13.

serleran wrote:Or, you could wait and get the 4e version from Necromancer Games...

Blasphemer!!! PDT_Armataz_01_05  No, seriously, 3rd Ed. did nothing for me, and I doubt that would change with 4th if what I've heard and read so far is true. So no, thats definatly not an option for me! :)

M. Parthes
FINDNPLAY.COM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:09 am 

hey guys

still healing here, so not quite with things.

tegel manor huh....just the topic to make me wanna post.

depends what kind of DM you are, to what version to DM.

if you are a DM who likes all the stuff in front of you, then i would recommend DMing the gamescience version, but if youre like me, who hardly has any material at all and likes to just make shit up as you go along and utilise the bare-bones as you wish, then i would suggest one of the older prints, as you hardly have anything to work with.

the advantage of the older prints, is that you can manipulate anything as you see fit quite easily. if you have a look at the gencon - tegel manor thread elsewhere, you will kinda see what i am driving at.

the guys who played in that game will also tell you what i am talking about.

so basically, there you go. its a fantastic adventure and lots and lots of fun. it will be DM'd again at GenCon this year.

good luck with it  -i would be very interested in hearing how things turn out!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:15 am 

The original has D&D monsters, while the Gamescience version had to change them due to not having the rights, but I like them both.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:24 am 

There is one thing I do not like about the GameScience mod.  The font size if about a 6.  Very small print.  Very hard to read.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:55 pm 

I think both versions are great.  If you want to get one of the original JG copies, go for the blue cover ones, since they should cost less than the other printings.  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:00 pm 

Katchoo wrote:I think both versions are great.  If you want to get one of the original JG copies, go for the blue cover ones, since they should cost less than the other printings.  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

Ah yes, those who must not have all the printings. What a small group of people you are. :)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:09 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Ah yes, those who must not have all the printings. What a small group of people you are. :)

ShaneG.

its just not the same if you havent got one of the older printings man!

thats like sacrilege!

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:10 am 

Plaag wrote:

ShaneG.

I believe we are pretty well represented in the "actually playing those damn things" demographic.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:39 am 

Melan wrote:I believe we are pretty well represented in the "actually playing those damn things" demographic.  :wink:

indeed :)

i see egor is throwing around them "100 copies" of the origins Tegels lately.... sheesh he must have had the lions share of them!

did they only sell 2 or something at the time??!!

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:06 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
indeed :)

i see egor is throwing around them "100 copies" of the origins Tegels lately.... sheesh he must have had the lions share of them!

Yeah, I bought one from Egor and have since read it.
It is loaded with detail.
And they are good details.
Nice book IMO.
I have never played in or run Tegal manor (Any version) myself, but it looks to be a really good adventure to me.

I never sweat the details as a DM, and can run a game without having any details set up for me by the adventure writer, and even by making them up as I go (More often before hand). But the Tegal remake is one with little or no need for fleshing out by the DM. Some things (Such as the village and outlying area encounters) are present that a DM might wish to flesh out more and some other things the DM might want to revise, but mostly its a ready to go advanture.

I would like to run it as a DM myself, or as a player.
I bet the Tegal game you ran at GenCon was loads of fun for all.
The Players and the DM too.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:35 am 

anny, that origins one is just the same as the gamescience version. its pretty good i agree, but a fair amount is changed from the older version.

if you get ahold of the little orange book, you will see what i mean.

the older book is really just bare-bones. mike did a pic of my DMs setup at GenCon, i dont know if the pic is still there, ask him (i need to get a pic of that off him too)...in that pic, you can see the book and the lack of details in it.

its a DMs dream, IF you play the game that way. some like the gamescience version as its all there for them. it depends what youre into.

we will be running it again at GenCon this time, though its more homebrew than actual text this time. but i would most definately, thoroughly recommend this adventure in ANY format, to anyone. i've yet to come across anyone who didnt like it.

it won over the guys at GenCon last time for sure. it was fun, because we all had a great time. rules were almost non-existant - there was some very cool roleplay and it just turned out into a great time for all. pure gaming at its best. a good adventure will allow this if everyone is on the same wavelength.

i wish gencon would hurry up....i hate waiting.

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 am 

Melan wrote:I believe we are pretty well represented in the "actually playing those damn things" demographic.  :wink:

:D Hear, Hear!

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:00 am 

killjoy32 wrote:i see egor is throwing around them "100 copies" of the origins Tegels lately.... sheesh he must have had the lions share of them!

Having bought one from him on a BIN and then seeing another relisted within hours, I am disinclined to believe Zocchi's assertion that there were only 100 printed.  I have seen this item come up on eBay with a rather high frequency in the past two years.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:13 am 

leadjunkie wrote:
Having bought one from him on a BIN and then seeing another relisted within hours, I am disinclined to believe Zocchi's assertion that there were only 100 printed.  I have seen this item come up on eBay with a rather high frequency in the past two years.

i agree. thats the sole reason i havent bothered to grab one yet.

there is no way that there are just 100 of them.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Next