Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:38 pm 

Badmike wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:This could be an explanation.  Also, I seem to remember copies having the "Reprinted by Gamescience" line, and a few I came across had this stamped across the cover (actually surprised the Inferno on Ebay didnt have this stamped on the front).

Mike B.

I stopped by his booth over at Origins and he still had one or two of the photocopies for sale. I believe it did have the "Reprinted by Gamescience" line. Still extremely rough photocopy though, but should be OK for a playing copy.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:23 am 

faro wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:
stratochamp wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:
Genuine authorized copy? That sound like military intelligence or jumbo shrimp.

It's an authorised copy and a genuine copy thereof, hence a genuine, authorised copy. Not a jumbo shrimp. You'll have to forgive my missing comma and British spelling. :)
Whatever the precise backstory is behind those JG reprints, no-one has yet confirmed or denied the existence of a "reprinted by Gamescience with permission of Judges Guild" line added to the text that Louis thought might have been inserted.

stratochamp wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:We've probably been down this road before David, but to me the only PVQ with any value is the First print, with the Black Folder. Ultimately that is what one is buying (in my opinion).

(OT) My money was on the black folder, too, but one of the individuals most vociferous about that not being the first print went by the name of Pete Kerestan. At various times he proposed the yellow loose leaf copy as having priority, or (created at a crazy-early date) a white leaf copy. The arguments and counter-arguments were discussed and if an "unexplainable" copy ever turns up, the threads are still there.
None of this will stop people paying $500+ for genuinely rare, authorised PotVQ photocopies, anyhow...

What is it with people getting sniffy about the actual method used to create copies, rather than the actual item/content? Next we'll be saying that RPG fanzines aren't worth keeping/collecting simply because the majority of them were produced using photocopying. :)

stratochamp wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:In mentioning OD&D supplements, I can only assume that you mean Inverness, Tamoachan Tsojconth etc. Well same thing. Who would buy the interior pages without the cardstock exterior? No one, that's where the value exists and the (relative) proof of authenticity.

I did actually mean supplements. And, in that case, the "whites" prove the printing sequence for the presence/absence of the prices, too. And it doesn't matter if they're photocopied; the ones that turn up with good provenance are still genuine, authorised copies, originally sold by the copyright owner, OK? ;)

Cheers,
d.

Dear David,

You responded to my (largely) tongue-in-cheek post with a serious rebuttal. I respect your decision while (again) disagreeing with the contents of your post. I will treat your post seriously with my forthcoming reply, where I hope to elucidate what I collect and why. We'll see at the end were I end up, because I intend to use this as an opportunity to explore a broader theme, rather than take easy shots at you from across the pond. And if you're wondering why I sent this silly preamble post, well, now I have to actually follow through and type up the bloody thing...

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:22 pm 

GreyM wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:
Badmike wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:This could be an explanation.  Also, I seem to remember copies having the "Reprinted by Gamescience" line, and a few I came across had this stamped across the cover (actually surprised the Inferno on Ebay didnt have this stamped on the front).

Mike B.

I stopped by his booth over at Origins and he still had one or two of the photocopies for sale. I believe it did have the "Reprinted by Gamescience" line. Still extremely rough photocopy though, but should be OK for a playing copy.

I bet he was asking $65.00 for it...

::snicker::

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:18 am 

We (ThunderDave and I) stopped by the Gamescience booth at Gencon.  He had photocopies of a few of the JG products and was asking $15-$20 each.

Noble Knight also carries the the Gamescience reprints:  Noble Knight Games Role Playing Games - Judges Guild Reprints (Lou Zocchi)

He was also selling genuine reprint, authorized photocopies of Ringbearer for $20.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:39 pm 

Mr Zocchi was so upset that I asked if the Ringbearer copies were freebies/promos, that he shooed us away after collecting $10 from me for Bifrost volume 1... good times :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:48 pm 

We did get a nice rant about Dave Casciano (Infernax, Book of Dragons, Thieves Quarter, etc) too which was also a great GenCon moment.

Previous