Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:52 am 

leadjunkie wrote:I was watching it all week and forgot to bid.  Good for you LucyJoyce.  I was expecting a crushing bid from you know who.

I haven't seen Lofenloc bid on anything in awhile...    :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:57 pm 

Well I was watching the 'Revised City State of the Invincible Overlord' auction that was up here in the UK, but after my initial dabble, it finished at £32.50! Way out of my league for something I just wanted to have a read through... 8O
Shame, as I was also going to go for the 'Wraith Overlord', to make a set, which then ended up for £3!   :roll:
Oh well, another day...

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:52 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0461890390

I already had two copies of Booklet I (Yellow version) and one copy of Tegel Manor (Orange Booklet L).

But I have been looking for a copy of Thunderhold Booklet J for a long time now.

Sure none of the three are in minty condition and there were no maps either but I still think the final price was quite reasonable honestly.   8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:00 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

I already had two copies of Booklet I (Yellow version) and one copy of Tegel Manor (Orange Booklet L).
But I have been looking for a copy of Thunderhold Booklet J for a long time now.

Sure none of the three are in minty condition and there were no maps either but I still think the final price was quite reasonable honestly.   8)

i have a booklet J somewhere - might have 2 actually. when i get a chance i will see if i can find one...not an easy task these days though

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:32 am 

Closed out our storage space this weekend.  What a hassle, but that's a fair bit of money back in our pockets.

I have long been waiting to get to the back reaches of the storage space.  We moved in a rush and the last stages were chaotic.  

In the back of the space there were a few boxes marked "Crap" in my handwriting.   I knew that "Crap" meant it was my stuff, packed in a hurry.

Inside of those boxes was mainly game-related material, and.... Temple Book One and Castle Book One.  :twisted:

Long have they lain in that horde.  Since these two publications were stored there I have become a collector, joined this site and collected everything else now looming on my shelves.  But I have held off purchasing these two because I knew they had to be there.  I have left the spots open on my collection list and waited for this uniquely collector-ish moment.

Such joy over some rusted staples and a picture of a dude wearing a horned skull.  But, if you are reading this.....you know what I mean.   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:13 pm 

:D

Ah the joys of rediscovery.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:01 am 

Add to that:

The First Fantasy Campaign (3rd Print)

I had given up on finding that one.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:21 pm 

Underused thread...

No Gamescience sticker or other distinguishing feature visible unfortunately. Did anyone ask?
(and no, I didn't check the feedback rating for the winner ;))

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:18 am 

I thought that it was photocopies. I was wrong? :(

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:44 am 

you were not wrong, it is a photocopy. i'm sure it was sold by zocchi bitd, he did that with a number of things; but it's still just a photocopy.

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:08 pm 

lokiwookie wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:I thought that it was photocopies.

Yes, but it's a genuine, authorized copy, as is perfectly acceptable for PotVQs and OD&D supplements. Only a very small number were stated to have been made but they'd need a good provenance (e.g. Tadashi) for further investigation/comparison/etc.
Maybe some of the others to follow but so much for the radar here... :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:36 pm 

JG authorized several items to be photocopied and sold by Zocchi (Inferno was one) during the late 80s and early 90s, but even so I'd consider them something I wouldn't want to collect.  Authorized or not they are still merely photocopies, and very lousy ones at that (by the ones I've seen, at least).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:58 pm 

Hmmm thanks!
** no Géraud, you do not collect photocopies, no no no!**

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 am 

faro wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:
lokiwookie wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:I thought that it was photocopies.

Yes, but it's a genuine, authorized copy, as is perfectly acceptable for PotVQs and OD&D supplements. Only a very small number were stated to have been made but they'd need a good provenance (e.g. Tadashi) for further investigation/comparison/etc.

Genuine authorized copy? That sound like military intelligence or jumbo shrimp. We've probably been down this road before David, but to me the only PVQ with any value is the First print, with the Black Folder. Ultimately that is what one is buying (in my opinion). In mentioning OD&D supplements, I can only assume that you mean Inverness, Tamoachan Tsojconth etc. Well same thing. Who would buy the interior pages without the cardstock exterior? No one, that's where the value exists and the (relative) proof of authenticity.

I'm not suggesting that I was privy to the 10-secong meeting where Capt. Lou sashayed over to Bob Bledsaw, asked him if he could run off some copies of out of print modules and before Lou could even finish trying to sell him a 100-sided die, Bob waived him back to his booth with a "Sure, run off whatever you want Lou, I trust you." If as Badmike suggested, the number of photocopies was "limited", I think it was limited by the fact that Lou probably made three initial photocopies and wouldn't make more until he had actually sold one at his booth. Overhead and all.

Now Lou is a giant in the history of our hobby (especially for us collectors) and I'm not trying to make fun of him (just his Zocchihedrons). I'm also not trying to give a hard time to the person that spent $13 on the Inferno photocopy (they probably just want a cheap play copy). And I respect very much the diligence and attention that faro has brought to the examination of the items that we collect. I merely respectfully disagree that this product should be considered "collectable" in any way, or even a product worth cataloging. To me it's just an old photocopy, and a poor one at that.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:31 am 

stratochamp wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:
faro wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:Yes, but it's a genuine, authorized copy, as is perfectly acceptable for PotVQs and OD&D supplements. Only a very small number were stated to have been made but they'd need a good provenance (e.g. Tadashi) for further investigation/comparison/etc.

Genuine authorized copy? That sound like military intelligence or jumbo shrimp. We've probably been down this road before David, but to me the only PVQ with any value is the First print, with the Black Folder. Ultimately that is what one is buying (in my opinion). In mentioning OD&D supplements, I can only assume that you mean Inverness, Tamoachan Tsojconth etc. Well same thing. Who would buy the interior pages without the cardstock exterior? No one, that's where the value exists and the (relative) proof of authenticity.

I'm not suggesting that I was privy to the 10-secong meeting where Capt. Lou sashayed over to Bob Bledsaw, asked him if he could run off some copies of out of print modules and before Lou could even finish trying to sell him a 100-sided die, Bob waived him back to his booth with a "Sure, run off whatever you want Lou, I trust you." If as Badmike suggested, the number of photocopies was "limited", I think it was limited by the fact that Lou probably made three initial photocopies and wouldn't make more until he had actually sold one at his booth. Overhead and all.

Now Lou is a giant in the history of our hobby (especially for us collectors) and I'm not trying to make fun of him (just his Zocchihedrons). I'm also not trying to give a hard time to the person that spent $13 on the Inferno photocopy (they probably just want a cheap play copy). And I respect very much the diligence and attention that faro has brought to the examination of the items that we collect. I merely respectfully disagree that this product should be considered "collectable" in any way, or even a product worth cataloging. To me it's just an old photocopy, and a poor one at that.

Bill your humor is under-rated, I laughed all through this!  I owned a few of these in the early 90s, and as if the fact they are just photocopies isn't bad enough, they are REALLY BAD PHOTOCOPIES.  Kind of like someone took a bunch of legal sheets, used a mimeograph machine from 1979 to make two sided side by side copies, and after he was done folded the entire mess into an unruly pile without bothering to line up the edges and used an industrial grade stapler to slam a few staples in to hold it together.  They are really a mess. In the early 90s I worked at a Savings and Loan and had access to a machine and materials that made my own photocopies (for private use, of course) look like Leonardo Da Vinci sketches in comparison.  I will say you used to run into these a lot in the "old days", haven't seen much of them in the last decade or so as I think most people probably threw them out at a certain point (I'm pretty sure that's where mine went).

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:54 pm 

Badmike wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat: they are REALLY BAD PHOTOCOPIES.

This can be deliberate in the research & information business. By producing a rough-looking copy, researchers are in effect assuring the copyright holder that copies are made for legitimate purposes will not replace the original, & so should be regarded as fair use. Zocci may have had that in mind, as a way to avoid offending collectors.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:18 am 

stratochamp wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:
faro wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:Yes, but it's a genuine, authorized copy, as is perfectly acceptable for PotVQs and OD&D supplements. Only a very small number were stated to have been made but they'd need a good provenance (e.g. Tadashi) for further investigation/comparison/etc.

Genuine authorized copy? That sound like military intelligence or jumbo shrimp.

It's an authorised copy and a genuine copy thereof, hence a genuine, authorised copy. Not a jumbo shrimp. You'll have to forgive my missing comma and British spelling. :)
Whatever the precise backstory is behind those JG reprints, no-one has yet confirmed or denied the existence of a "reprinted by Gamescience with permission of Judges Guild" line added to the text that Louis thought might have been inserted.

stratochamp wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:We've probably been down this road before David, but to me the only PVQ with any value is the First print, with the Black Folder. Ultimately that is what one is buying (in my opinion).

(OT) My money was on the black folder, too, but one of the individuals most vociferous about that not being the first print went by the name of Pete Kerestan. At various times he proposed the yellow loose leaf copy as having priority, or (created at a crazy-early date) a white leaf copy. The arguments and counter-arguments were discussed and if an "unexplainable" copy ever turns up, the threads are still there.
None of this will stop people paying $500+ for genuinely rare, authorised PotVQ photocopies, anyhow...

What is it with people getting sniffy about the actual method used to create copies, rather than the actual item/content? Next we'll be saying that RPG fanzines aren't worth keeping/collecting simply because the majority of them were produced using photocopying. :)

stratochamp wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:In mentioning OD&D supplements, I can only assume that you mean Inverness, Tamoachan Tsojconth etc. Well same thing. Who would buy the interior pages without the cardstock exterior? No one, that's where the value exists and the (relative) proof of authenticity.

I did actually mean supplements. And, in that case, the "whites" prove the printing sequence for the presence/absence of the prices, too. And it doesn't matter if they're photocopied; the ones that turn up with good provenance are still genuine, authorised copies, originally sold by the copyright owner, OK? ;)

Cheers,
d.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:11 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat:
Badmike wrote in Another one that got away  ... or an opportunity to gloat: they are REALLY BAD PHOTOCOPIES.

This can be deliberate in the research & information business. By producing a rough-looking copy, researchers are in effect assuring the copyright holder that copies are made for legitimate purposes will not replace the original, & so should be regarded as fair use. Zocci may have had that in mind, as a way to avoid offending collectors.

This could be an explanation.  Also, I seem to remember copies having the "Reprinted by Gamescience" line, and a few I came across had this stamped across the cover (actually surprised the Inferno on Ebay didnt have this stamped on the front).

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext