AGP Announcements and Updates
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:35 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:good luck with your ventures, but this left me one very unhappy chappy. luckily i have had so much happen in the last 9 months, that its left me not that bothered about things.

Al, I'm sorry I've disappointed you... I'm sorry I've disappointed all my subsrcibers. You guys are the ones who showd the most faith in me and my efforts, and have had little to see for it so far.

I hope to remedy that.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:40 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:On the flip side, James, I have paid full whack for each and every PDF that you've put out through RPGNow. Maybe tying the physical copy business to the PDF business directly is not a good idea.

Well, that part is only for the existing, remaining subscribers... and as I am not taking on new subscribers (not now, not ever), that's not really an issue. It's really just a way to help make up for all the delays to those who have already paid for product that has not been delivered...

Physical copies - Have you thought about speaking directly to the likes of Aaron Leader and asking if they'll take a bulk lot of 50 copies at a discounted price without having to go through the distribution chain?

I've considered that, and even have a standing offer to retailers for a decent direct rate, but the problem is that I cannot offer credit on such large purchases... especially in the current economic situation. And few retailers pay cash on the barrelhead for small publisher products...

Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:58 pm 

Phaedran wrote:Can you please clarify which print products actually made it to subscribers. I could be wrong but I don't remember getting the Rhadamanthia Continental Map in the mail and I haven't bothered to get my subscriber copy of Monsters & Treasure of the Wilderlands 1 yet.

Thus far, only AGJ #1 and the Southern Reaches Map have been sent to subscribers as an "official" subscription installment.

There are three other print products available, which subscribers can have shipped to them as part of their subscription page credit. At no additional shipping charge...

XXXI (48 pages)
2008 Wilderlands Jam (48 pages)
Monsters & Treasures of the Wilderlands 1 (32 pages)

When the next "official" installment ships, subscribers will receive two of the Rhadamanthia Continental Maps and two of the Western Karak Maps at no charge, as freebies. The next "official" installment will likely be the Western Karak Guidebook Region 1: Valley of the Immortals. Following that, hopefully the long-awaited Wilderlands of High Adventure Guidebook 18: The Southern Reaches.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:16 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'd be interested to know how many physical copies are sold vs. how many PDFs are sold through the online PDF outlet.

Well, in the case of M&TW1, about a 10 to 1 ratio... favoring PDF sales, of course. The ratio is much lower for the PDF of AGJ #1... but then, I sold far more physical copies of AGJ #1, which was available in print before the PDF was released, so more people bought the print version.

This is why going forward, PDFs of print-release products will be released no sooner than a month after the print product releases.

So yes, to further muddy the waters, we have going forward three forms of publications:

1) Print products that later will see PDF releases;

2) PDF products that will later definitely be combined in Print form (i.e., the "100" series products and the Valley of the Dead Queens product)

3) PDF products that will likely never be seen in physical Print, or perhaps at best incorporated into a larger compilation in some minor fashion (such as the Martial Artist class or the Barbarian class).

The main reason for this is the current state of flux in publishing. I need to still serve both the Print and PDF fan base, and both have very different needs and purchasing habits. Print buyers want a full book with everything, all at once; PDF buyers generally like small bits that they can buy as they go, and buy the parts they want as they go.

If I try to satisfy one market at the cost of the other, I fail totally, regardless of which market I choose, as neither market is big enough to continue to support my labors completely. And so the ugly, indelicate balancing act continues...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:22 pm 

leadjunkie wrote:Perhaps the poor sales of the printed Monsters & Treasures of the Wilderlands 1 has less to do with the fact that it is printed that it has to do with the content.

Unfortunately, I find AGP taking a direction that I am less and less interested in.  The first few products were right up my alley.  Later releases have more or less moved away from my interest.

Perhaps, though it has sold quite well as a PDF. On a lot of the recent products, I've leant more toward supporting C&C element than the Wilderlands element, as you mention, rather to the detriment of the fans who are mostly in it for the Wilderlands content.

The print releases that are coming up are all Wilderlands fluff heavy, with minimal crunch. I think you will be pleased with them...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:54 am 

Sorry to hear about the setbacks, James.   Just wanted to give you a voice of support.   I love your (printed) maps and Wilderlands material, but have no grudge against the PDFs.   Whatever you do, hang in there!

Shanghai fun & friends!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:38 pm 

To celebrate the birthday of Bob Bledsaw, the late founder of Judges Guild, Adventure Games Publishing is holding a Buy One Get One Free sale on print products now through May 23rd.

That's right, Buy One Get One FREE!

And that's not all! Pay for 10 books, get 10 books FREE; pay for 100 books, get 100 books FREE!

Here's how it works:

Between now and May 23rd, order a copy of any one of the following books and get a second book of equal or lesser value of your choice for FREE! Plus, everyone who orders gets a FREE copy of the Wilderlands of High Adventure Campaign Map 18: Southern Reaches for each book ordered!

Adventure Games Journal #1 ($12*)
2008 Wilderlands Jam [2008 Gen Con Special] ($12*)
Monsters & Treasures of the Wilderlands 1 ($10.95**)
XXXI [2007 Gen Con Special] ($10*)

*Once these products are sold out, they will NEVER be reprinted!
**Quantities are very limited on the M&TW1; no rain checks will be offered!

Quantities are limited, so the offer is only good while supplies last!

Shipping on two books is $4 to the US and Canada, $8 to Europe and Australia. Yes, I'm even eating some of the shipping costs!

If you just want to order two books and wish to pay via PayPal, simply use the proper US/CAN or EU/AUS PayPal button on the AGP website for the more expensive book, and include the book you want to get FREE in your note. Otherwise if you want to pay by money order or if you want to order more than two books, e-mail [email protected] with your complete order and you will be sent a total with shipping costs and other details.

***This offer is also good for AGJ Subscribers! Subscribers can use their page credit to purchase one book and get the other of lesser or equal value FREE, plus pay NO shipping! E-mail me at the Super Secret Subscriber E-mail address with your order!***

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:01 pm 

I have a question.
How many different MAPS are there now, and how many can be purchased as physical copies?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:23 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I have a question.
How many different MAPS are there now, and how many can be purchased as physical copies?

There are now three maps, only one of which is offered for sale as a print item at this time.

WoHA Campaign Region Map 18: Southern Reaches (PDF and PRint)

WoHF/WoHA Rhadamanthia Continental Map (PDF only)

WoHF/WoHA Campaign District Map 9: Western Karak (PDF only)

Rhadamanthia and Western Karak maps will be available for sale when the Valley of the Immortals book goes out to the subscribers.

I should note that there are a few copies of the Rhadamanthia map out there, as they were sent out as special premiums and a few were available for sale at Gen Con.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:40 pm 

Thanks.
I was aware of all but the new map, and was hoping they were available in print.

Can the PDF maps be printed on our printers and if so how large could they be?
Forgive me if that is a stupid question.
I had read that some PDFs have a software lock which renders them useless for printing.

...Rhadamanthia and Western Karak maps will be available for sale when the Valley of the Immortals book goes out to the subscribers...

As a non-subscriber should I assume I am outa luck for obtaining a copy of that book?

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:46 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Can the PDF maps be printed on our printers and if so how large could they be?

As a non-subscriber should I assume I am outa luck for obtaining a copy of that book?

The maps should print out fine. The Rhadamanthia and Karak maps are designed to print out on an 11" x 17" sheet, so you should be able to set it up to print on two pages.

As for Valley of the Immortals, it will be available to buy by anyone; it is simply the next Subscription Product, and autoships to the remaining subscribers. It will be available for sale when the autoships have gone out.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:28 am 

Adventure Games Publishing presents the first in a series of new monsters for the Castles & Crusades Castle Keeper to populate his dungeons and wilderness. Each installment of the Monstrous Menaces series presents three new monsters for a mere dollar, eminently affordable in today's economy.

The first installment, Monstrous Menaces #1: Gharlidh, Grulnosc, and Rocktopus, presents the Castle Keeper with a 4 HD Monstrous Humanoid, a 6 HD Aberration, and a 1 to 16 HD Magical Beast. Each entry includes complete listings for the monster's description, organization, ecology, treasure, range, and special abilities.

Gharlidh
Gharlidhs are a horrific subterranean humanoid race purportedly bred by an evil underground overlord. They feature characteristics of humans, goblins, and orcs, but only vaguely, for most of their five to seven-foot tall body is covered by bony growth from the top of their thick skull to tips of their clawed toes. Their head is misshapen, as they have neither eyes nor nose, and so the skull slopes unnaturally; their ears however are huge, hairy, and pointed. Their mouth is huge, and filled with many sharp fangs.

Grulnosc
Grulnoscs look much like a giant snail with an extremely thick, stone-like shell, save that it stands six to eight feet tall at the top of its shell. Upon closer examination, however, the slimy flesh of the creature is revealed to be utterly different in nature from that of normal snails, or any other known living creature, and the shell is of solid rock, latticed with metals and perhaps even gems; the seven eye stalks with very human-like eyes that it projects from its "head" also indicate to those steeped in animal lore that this is not a natural creature, or even a giant-sized version of such.

Rocktopus
At some dark point in the history of the world, oceanic octopi were magically mutated such that they took to life on dry land, albeit preferably in wet subterranean locations, though these creatures can survive quite well aboveground in tropical locations such as rain forests, jungles, swamps, and marshes; anywhere, really, provided there is a large and deep pool of water for spawning. Full-grown rocktopi are nine to 16 feet long (one foot per hit die), with eight long tentacles of many suckers, a large bulbous body, two large eyes, and a razor-sharp beak.

Monstrous Menaces #1: Gharlidh, Grulnosc, and Rocktopus
By James Mishler
AGP06001, 8-page PDF, $1.00 MSRP

Buy it now on DriveThruRPG

Note: if you are an Adventure Games Journal Subscriber, you should have a Complementary Coupon in your e-mail already (or shortly). If, as happens, your coupon got caught by anti-Spam systems, let me know and I'll send you another coupon directly.

Also, you should have another e-mail with a coupon for a complimentary copy of the PDF of Adventure Games Journal #1... sigh. That was an accident, but please do enjoy!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:05 am 

James,

I got your shipment from the AGP order I placed.
Thanks!

I like the hard copies of your products even though that (Apparently) puts me in the minority. :?
In the future, I may purchase some PDFs (Maps perhaps) or I may not, but I would be happy to purchase more hard copy materials.

BTW: We (My grandkids and I for example) are hungry for all those other are maps just in case no one has told you that yet. :)  :!:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:04 pm 

Those names put me to thinking we need stats for a Gunderloy. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:56 am 

Adventure Games Publishing presents the second in a series of new monsters for the Castles & Crusades Castle Keeper to populate his dungeons and wilderness. Each installment of the Monstrous Menaces series presents three new monsters for a mere dollar, eminently affordable in today's economy.

The second installment, Monstrous Menaces #2: Blade Dancer, Goblin, and Tharghûl, presents the Castle Keeper with a 5 HD Construct, a 1 HD Humanoid, and an 8 HD Unique Undead. Each entry includes complete listings for the monster's description, organization, ecology, treasure, range, and special abilities.

Blade Dancer
Blade dancers are animated humanoid collections of scores of razor-sharp blades, from small 4" knives to great two-handed swords. They whirl about swiftly like dervishes upon the points of their long-sword legs, with four long arms made of broad swords; their "heads" are constructed of many small blades, with pommel stones for "eyes" and a wide mouth made of many knives. For all that they are made of un-living metal the blade dancer often has a menacing, cruel look upon its "face."

Goblin
Goblins are small, gnarled humanoids; in shadows they much resemble thin dwarves, though compared to dwarves they are stooped, their arms and legs are slightly too long for their body, and their head is slightly too large, with overly-large wide pointed ears. In the light the difference is obvious, as goblins have greenish-grey warty skin, and too much black scraggly hair in all the wrong places (and usually little or none on their heads). Goblins have a sickly-sweet smell, like that of a corpse ripened in the sun, and their breath is a stench like rotting onions; most goblin warrens smell not unlike a charnel house in midsummer.

Goblin eyes are round and bulging, and mostly black with large iris and cornea; the white of the orb is invariably shot thick with red blood vessels. Like the eyes of a cat, goblin eyes reflect light in the darkness, a deep, blood-red glitter. They have a long carrot-shaped nose that sits atop a wide, frog-like lipless mouth. Goblin teeth are haphazard at best, with many gaps and broken bits; over time as old teeth are lost new ones grow in, though they grow in uneven and often painfully, such that goblin's gums are ever bleeding and raw. Goblins either have either no chin or far too much of one, with hair as usual only growing in spots rather than in a full-fledged beard.

Note: Monstrous Menaces 2 provides a much-expanded entry for the common goblin race, including full details on goblin vision, language, organization, ecology, culture, religion, gender and family relations, coming of age, cleanliness, weapons, armor, treasure, range, combat, and special abilities.

Tharghûl
Tharghûls are the kings of the ghouls and ghasts, the lords of the graveyard and charnel house, despots of sewers and desecrated temples. Where vampires rule, tharghûls tread lightly; where tharghûls dominate, vampires fear to tread.

A tharghûl in its natural form appears to be a walking corpse; some are thin and emaciated, while others are fat and bloated. Skin is usually like that of a corpse, green and pock-marked, often inhabited by worms, and in places sloughing off. The face is a nightmare, with lips long rotted away, long hound-like teeth and fangs, a sunken nose, and bloated, bulging eyes. Hair is usually white, long, and matted with blood or absent. Hands are clawed, with long sharp nails. A tharghûl usually wears clothing as was appropriate to its station, or to its new more powerful position; the clothing often jars grossly with the rotted, stinking body, as it is new and fashionable, though soaked through with blood and covered with gore.

Monstrous Menaces #2: Blade Dancer, Goblin, and Tharghûl
By James Mishler
AGP06002, 12-page PDF, $1.00 MSRP

Click here to buy Monstrous Menaces #2 at DriveThruRPG

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:34 pm 

Adventure Games Publishing presents the first in a series of cultural sourcebooks for the Wilderlands of High Adventure. Each installment of the Wilderlands of High Adventure Player's Guides includes a fully-detailed culture for players and judges to fully flesh out their Castles & Crusades adventures in the Wilderlands.

The first installment, Wilderlands of High Adventure Player's Guide #1: Tharbrian Horse-Lords details the culture and society of the northern horsemen of the Wilderlands. Tharbrians are renown throughout Viridistan, the Roglaras, and beyond as atavistic and savage horse nomads. They roam the north-western plains of the Wilderlands with impunity, recognizing no lord or master. They have brought down empires and extirpated whole civilizations. Herein you shall discover the secrets and truths about Tharbrian history and society, and details on their abilities and culture.

This 22-page book includes complete details on:

History
Environment/Range
Appearance
Personality
Ethnic/Racial Affinities
Culture
Laws and Traditions
Religion
Social Structure
Organization
Gender and Family Relations
Animals
Diet
Technology
Clothing
Armor
Weapons
Combat
Treasure
Language
Names
Racial Traits and Abilities
Glossary

Wilderlands of High Adventure Player's Guide #1: Tharbrian Horse-Lords
Official Gaming Aid Designed and Approved For Use with Castles & Crusades
By James Mishler
AGP05501, 22-page PDF, $5 MSRP

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:25 pm 

Adventure Games Publishing presents the third in a series of new monsters for the Castles & Crusades Castle Keeper to populate his dungeons and wilderness. Each installment of the Monstrous Menaces series presents three new monsters for a mere dollar, eminently affordable in today's economy.

The third installment, Monstrous Menaces #3: Akhlat, Oogloog, and Woodwose, presents the Castle Keeper with a 4 HD Aberration, a 5 HD Ooze, and a 7 to 9 HD Monstrous Humanoid. Each entry includes complete listings for the monster's description, organization, ecology, treasure, range, and special abilities.

Akhlat
An akhlat is a chimerical creature, possessing the head of a man, the feathered body and wings of a vulture, the legs and feet of a monkey, the arms and claws of a tiger, and the tail of an ass. The human head is overly large for the body, and bald; its eyes are black and beady like those of a vulture, its nose is large and long and blackened with warts, and its mouth is filled with tiger-like teeth and the forked tongue of a serpent. Its flesh is as hard as bronze, its teeth and claws like steel, and its breath is noxious like swamp-gas.

Oogloog
Oogloog are giant alien amoeba-like beings with a cruel, inhuman intellect. On a humanoid scale, their Intelligence would be placed in the High to Genius categories; however, their form of sentience is significantly different from that of other organisms.

Oogloog naturally take the form of a giant amoeba-like structure, essentially a bag of slimy acid filled with small globules of foreign materials (i.e. food). They have great control over their shape, however, and can take on the form of a bipedal humanoid, complete with head, two arms, hands, fingers, two legs, feet, and toes. Some possess a most cruel sense of humor, and enjoy preserving various body parts of victims, such as eyes and teeth, and using those to affect possession of such body parts (though having "eyes" and "teeth" in this way provides them no extra abilities to see or bite).

Woodwose
Also known as almas, bigfoot, sasquatch, wild men, yeren, or yeti, woodwoses are seven to nine foot tall humanoids covered with thick brown, brownish-red, black, or white fur. The hair covers it everywhere except on the palms of its hands and feet, which are thick and calloused. They look mostly human, with an apish cast to face and build, and with very apish teeth but very human eyes. Woodwoses never wear clothing or jewelry.

Some exhibit elvish blood or human blood, others orcish, ogre, or even hill giant blood, or even a mix of two or three other blood lines; woodwoses are able to breed with all five races, though one in eight of such crossbreeds are sterile, and one in eight of those with other blood go insane upon reaching puberty.

Monstrous Menaces #3: Akhlat, Oogloog, and Woodwose
By James Mishler
AGP06003, 9-page PDF, $1.00 MSRP

Click here to buy it now on DriveThruRPG

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:55 am 

Adventure Games Journal #2 is already underway and a good portion is complete! I am not working on it at the moment, but it will have my full attention beginning the Monday following my wedding (July 10th, a week from today).

I should note before anyone asks, it will almost certainly not be ready in time for Gen Con, unfortunately.

Scheduled contents include:

Ravaged Ruins of the Roglaras: the long-awaited "lost ruins" of the lands of the Invincible Overlord and surrounding areas!

Temple of the Dancing Snake: a description of the temple, faith, priests, and followers of the infamous Temple of the Dancing Snake of Tarantis, including maps of six upper levels and five dungeon levels!

In Character: The Assassins' Guild of the City State

Poisons of the Wilderlands: All about the different poisons of the Wilderlands, from the various natural poisons of native serpents and scorpions to the magical potions brewed by alchemists. Includes a new system for poison damage.

Player's Guide — ???: A complete player's guide for one of the cultures of the Wilderlands! Click here to put in your two copper's worth on which culture should be featured in the first issue!

Wilderness Hex Series: The first installment in the Wilderness Hex Series premieres in this issue of Adventure Games Journal! The featured hex is Hex 11: 2315, deep in the heart of Oricha along the edge of Thalaea Bay. Here resides since ancient times the Zarkonaiad Fasaria, who survived unscathed the Founders Empire, the War of the Pious and Philosophers, and the Dragon Empire. Weakened by millennia-wrought ennui, she seeks heroes to protect her from the depredations and incursions of the followers of Armadad Bog.

Monsters & Treasure of the Wilderlands: All-new monsters and treasures, intricately interlaced with the Wilderlands, for the Judge to enhance her campaign.

Hanging Out in the City State: The School of Bards of the City State of the Invincible Overlord.

Lost Gods of the Wilderlands: Zarkon, Lord of Long Rivers and Father of the Zarkonaiads.

Plus the Bully Pulpit, Rumors Around the Wilderlands, and More!

For subscribers, we'll also include two copies each of the Rhadamanthia Continental Map and Rhadamanthia District Map 9: Western Karak, plus maybe (maybe) some other goodies!

PreviousNext