AGP Announcements and Updates
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:45 am 

Speaking of PRINTED copies vs PDFs.

I am also not very interested in PDFs of most anything, though PDF Maps in general would be useful since printing a players copy that can be drawn on would be nice.
Such as the Southern Reaches Players map.

I would be willing to purchase copies of most printed materials, including the Monsters & Treasure of the Wilderlands Book that just came from the printers.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:43 pm 

I have to agree with Killjoy. I'm not a PDF guy and never will be. I downloaded the first few that were offered to subscribers but soon lost interest after the many delays and excuses concerning the print products. I expected a lot more in 2 years for my hefty subscription price.

Can you please clarify which print products actually made it to subscribers. I could be wrong but I don't remember getting the Rhadamanthia Continental Map in the mail and I haven't bothered to get my subscriber copy of Monsters & Treasure of the Wilderlands 1 yet.

Thanks,
Phaedran

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:24 pm 

I'd be interested to know how many physical copies are sold vs. how many PDFs are sold through the online PDF outlet.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:57 pm 

Phaedran wrote:I have to agree with Killjoy. I'm not a PDF guy and never will be. I downloaded the first few that were offered to subscribers but soon lost interest after the many delays and excuses concerning the print products. I expected a lot more in 2 years for my hefty subscription price.

Can you please clarify which print products actually made it to subscribers. I could be wrong but I don't remember getting the Rhadamanthia Continental Map in the mail and I haven't bothered to get my subscriber copy of Monsters & Treasure of the Wilderlands 1 yet.

Thanks,
Phaedran

i only ever received the very first package. whatever was in that....its boxed away just now with moving, so i will have to check its contents....

not good then!

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:56 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I would be willing to purchase copies of most printed materials, including the Monsters & Treasure of the Wilderlands Book that just came from the printers.

*nods*

I also do not like PDFs, so I have not bought any AGP PDFs.  I did not realize that AGP had released so many PDF-only products; I may purchase them in the future.

I am still willing to buy AGP print products.  My excuse for not buying AGP products at the moment is that I am in financial and geographical transition.

As for "excuses and delays", well, that's part of life.  Thank you for explaining the state of AGP.  If things are made good with unhappy subscribers, then all is well.  A certain reorganized pppublisher has shown that the past can be forgiven if promises are kept.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:22 am 

jamesmishler wrote:Unfortunately, the sales of the print version of Monsters & Treasures of the Wilderlands 1 have been terrible. No, not terrible… monstrously terrible. I have, to date, sold 12 copies… and that includes those copies bought by subscribers using their page credit! Twelve… yes, merely twelve copies.

Perhaps the poor sales of the printed Monsters & Treasures of the Wilderlands 1 has less to do with the fact that it is printed that it has to do with the content.  Since you did not give numbers for the PDF sales, my comment may be baseless.  My primary reason for supporting AGP has been its role as the torch bearer for the Wilderlands.  Frankly, I found the Wilderlands portion of the title to be an after thought.  With a few minor changes it could easily have been called Monsters & Treasures of the <insert your setting here> 1.

Unlike many posters, I find PDF useful.  Oddly perhaps, I like the format for items that I am unsure I will like/use and I like the format for items I am sure that I will use a lot.  The former because they are cheaper and don't take up space, the latter because I want to preserve the original, it is search-able and I can cut and paste for my own uses.

Unfortunately, I find AGP taking a direction that I am less and less interested in.  The first few products were right up my alley.  Later releases have more or less moved away from my interest.  The announced items that I looked forward to the most have languished; Campaign Installment #1: Player's Guide to the Southern Reaches, Judge's Southern Reaches Gazetteer, Guide to the Mystic Wilderlands and Valley of the Dead Queens.

While I appreciate the free PDFs that you have provided to subscribers, most have not interested me.  I am seriously rethinking the status of my subscription.  I understand that you must do what you think best, but so must I.  Good luck.  I hope that your creative bent and my gaming desires will cross in your future publications.  I'll wait and see.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:35 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:good luck with your ventures, but this left me one very unhappy chappy. luckily i have had so much happen in the last 9 months, that its left me not that bothered about things.

Al, I'm sorry I've disappointed you... I'm sorry I've disappointed all my subsrcibers. You guys are the ones who showd the most faith in me and my efforts, and have had little to see for it so far.

I hope to remedy that.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:40 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:On the flip side, James, I have paid full whack for each and every PDF that you've put out through RPGNow. Maybe tying the physical copy business to the PDF business directly is not a good idea.

Well, that part is only for the existing, remaining subscribers... and as I am not taking on new subscribers (not now, not ever), that's not really an issue. It's really just a way to help make up for all the delays to those who have already paid for product that has not been delivered...

Physical copies - Have you thought about speaking directly to the likes of Aaron Leader and asking if they'll take a bulk lot of 50 copies at a discounted price without having to go through the distribution chain?

I've considered that, and even have a standing offer to retailers for a decent direct rate, but the problem is that I cannot offer credit on such large purchases... especially in the current economic situation. And few retailers pay cash on the barrelhead for small publisher products...

Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:58 pm 

Phaedran wrote:Can you please clarify which print products actually made it to subscribers. I could be wrong but I don't remember getting the Rhadamanthia Continental Map in the mail and I haven't bothered to get my subscriber copy of Monsters & Treasure of the Wilderlands 1 yet.

Thus far, only AGJ #1 and the Southern Reaches Map have been sent to subscribers as an "official" subscription installment.

There are three other print products available, which subscribers can have shipped to them as part of their subscription page credit. At no additional shipping charge...

XXXI (48 pages)
2008 Wilderlands Jam (48 pages)
Monsters & Treasures of the Wilderlands 1 (32 pages)

When the next "official" installment ships, subscribers will receive two of the Rhadamanthia Continental Maps and two of the Western Karak Maps at no charge, as freebies. The next "official" installment will likely be the Western Karak Guidebook Region 1: Valley of the Immortals. Following that, hopefully the long-awaited Wilderlands of High Adventure Guidebook 18: The Southern Reaches.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:16 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I'd be interested to know how many physical copies are sold vs. how many PDFs are sold through the online PDF outlet.

Well, in the case of M&TW1, about a 10 to 1 ratio... favoring PDF sales, of course. The ratio is much lower for the PDF of AGJ #1... but then, I sold far more physical copies of AGJ #1, which was available in print before the PDF was released, so more people bought the print version.

This is why going forward, PDFs of print-release products will be released no sooner than a month after the print product releases.

So yes, to further muddy the waters, we have going forward three forms of publications:

1) Print products that later will see PDF releases;

2) PDF products that will later definitely be combined in Print form (i.e., the "100" series products and the Valley of the Dead Queens product)

3) PDF products that will likely never be seen in physical Print, or perhaps at best incorporated into a larger compilation in some minor fashion (such as the Martial Artist class or the Barbarian class).

The main reason for this is the current state of flux in publishing. I need to still serve both the Print and PDF fan base, and both have very different needs and purchasing habits. Print buyers want a full book with everything, all at once; PDF buyers generally like small bits that they can buy as they go, and buy the parts they want as they go.

If I try to satisfy one market at the cost of the other, I fail totally, regardless of which market I choose, as neither market is big enough to continue to support my labors completely. And so the ugly, indelicate balancing act continues...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:22 pm 

leadjunkie wrote:Perhaps the poor sales of the printed Monsters & Treasures of the Wilderlands 1 has less to do with the fact that it is printed that it has to do with the content.

Unfortunately, I find AGP taking a direction that I am less and less interested in.  The first few products were right up my alley.  Later releases have more or less moved away from my interest.

Perhaps, though it has sold quite well as a PDF. On a lot of the recent products, I've leant more toward supporting C&C element than the Wilderlands element, as you mention, rather to the detriment of the fans who are mostly in it for the Wilderlands content.

The print releases that are coming up are all Wilderlands fluff heavy, with minimal crunch. I think you will be pleased with them...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:54 am 

Sorry to hear about the setbacks, James.   Just wanted to give you a voice of support.   I love your (printed) maps and Wilderlands material, but have no grudge against the PDFs.   Whatever you do, hang in there!

Shanghai fun & friends!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:38 pm 

To celebrate the birthday of Bob Bledsaw, the late founder of Judges Guild, Adventure Games Publishing is holding a Buy One Get One Free sale on print products now through May 23rd.

That's right, Buy One Get One FREE!

And that's not all! Pay for 10 books, get 10 books FREE; pay for 100 books, get 100 books FREE!

Here's how it works:

Between now and May 23rd, order a copy of any one of the following books and get a second book of equal or lesser value of your choice for FREE! Plus, everyone who orders gets a FREE copy of the Wilderlands of High Adventure Campaign Map 18: Southern Reaches for each book ordered!

Adventure Games Journal #1 ($12*)
2008 Wilderlands Jam [2008 Gen Con Special] ($12*)
Monsters & Treasures of the Wilderlands 1 ($10.95**)
XXXI [2007 Gen Con Special] ($10*)

*Once these products are sold out, they will NEVER be reprinted!
**Quantities are very limited on the M&TW1; no rain checks will be offered!

Quantities are limited, so the offer is only good while supplies last!

Shipping on two books is $4 to the US and Canada, $8 to Europe and Australia. Yes, I'm even eating some of the shipping costs!

If you just want to order two books and wish to pay via PayPal, simply use the proper US/CAN or EU/AUS PayPal button on the AGP website for the more expensive book, and include the book you want to get FREE in your note. Otherwise if you want to pay by money order or if you want to order more than two books, e-mail [email protected] with your complete order and you will be sent a total with shipping costs and other details.

***This offer is also good for AGJ Subscribers! Subscribers can use their page credit to purchase one book and get the other of lesser or equal value FREE, plus pay NO shipping! E-mail me at the Super Secret Subscriber E-mail address with your order!***

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:01 pm 

I have a question.
How many different MAPS are there now, and how many can be purchased as physical copies?

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:23 pm 

Aneoth wrote:I have a question.
How many different MAPS are there now, and how many can be purchased as physical copies?

There are now three maps, only one of which is offered for sale as a print item at this time.

WoHA Campaign Region Map 18: Southern Reaches (PDF and PRint)

WoHF/WoHA Rhadamanthia Continental Map (PDF only)

WoHF/WoHA Campaign District Map 9: Western Karak (PDF only)

Rhadamanthia and Western Karak maps will be available for sale when the Valley of the Immortals book goes out to the subscribers.

I should note that there are a few copies of the Rhadamanthia map out there, as they were sent out as special premiums and a few were available for sale at Gen Con.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:40 pm 

Thanks.
I was aware of all but the new map, and was hoping they were available in print.

Can the PDF maps be printed on our printers and if so how large could they be?
Forgive me if that is a stupid question.
I had read that some PDFs have a software lock which renders them useless for printing.

...Rhadamanthia and Western Karak maps will be available for sale when the Valley of the Immortals book goes out to the subscribers...

As a non-subscriber should I assume I am outa luck for obtaining a copy of that book?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:46 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Can the PDF maps be printed on our printers and if so how large could they be?

As a non-subscriber should I assume I am outa luck for obtaining a copy of that book?

The maps should print out fine. The Rhadamanthia and Karak maps are designed to print out on an 11" x 17" sheet, so you should be able to set it up to print on two pages.

As for Valley of the Immortals, it will be available to buy by anyone; it is simply the next Subscription Product, and autoships to the remaining subscribers. It will be available for sale when the autoships have gone out.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:28 am 

Adventure Games Publishing presents the first in a series of new monsters for the Castles & Crusades Castle Keeper to populate his dungeons and wilderness. Each installment of the Monstrous Menaces series presents three new monsters for a mere dollar, eminently affordable in today's economy.

The first installment, Monstrous Menaces #1: Gharlidh, Grulnosc, and Rocktopus, presents the Castle Keeper with a 4 HD Monstrous Humanoid, a 6 HD Aberration, and a 1 to 16 HD Magical Beast. Each entry includes complete listings for the monster's description, organization, ecology, treasure, range, and special abilities.

Gharlidh
Gharlidhs are a horrific subterranean humanoid race purportedly bred by an evil underground overlord. They feature characteristics of humans, goblins, and orcs, but only vaguely, for most of their five to seven-foot tall body is covered by bony growth from the top of their thick skull to tips of their clawed toes. Their head is misshapen, as they have neither eyes nor nose, and so the skull slopes unnaturally; their ears however are huge, hairy, and pointed. Their mouth is huge, and filled with many sharp fangs.

Grulnosc
Grulnoscs look much like a giant snail with an extremely thick, stone-like shell, save that it stands six to eight feet tall at the top of its shell. Upon closer examination, however, the slimy flesh of the creature is revealed to be utterly different in nature from that of normal snails, or any other known living creature, and the shell is of solid rock, latticed with metals and perhaps even gems; the seven eye stalks with very human-like eyes that it projects from its "head" also indicate to those steeped in animal lore that this is not a natural creature, or even a giant-sized version of such.

Rocktopus
At some dark point in the history of the world, oceanic octopi were magically mutated such that they took to life on dry land, albeit preferably in wet subterranean locations, though these creatures can survive quite well aboveground in tropical locations such as rain forests, jungles, swamps, and marshes; anywhere, really, provided there is a large and deep pool of water for spawning. Full-grown rocktopi are nine to 16 feet long (one foot per hit die), with eight long tentacles of many suckers, a large bulbous body, two large eyes, and a razor-sharp beak.

Monstrous Menaces #1: Gharlidh, Grulnosc, and Rocktopus
By James Mishler
AGP06001, 8-page PDF, $1.00 MSRP

Buy it now on DriveThruRPG

Note: if you are an Adventure Games Journal Subscriber, you should have a Complementary Coupon in your e-mail already (or shortly). If, as happens, your coupon got caught by anti-Spam systems, let me know and I'll send you another coupon directly.

Also, you should have another e-mail with a coupon for a complimentary copy of the PDF of Adventure Games Journal #1... sigh. That was an accident, but please do enjoy!

PreviousNext