Wraith Overlord
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:51 pm 

Question to the forum:  Why is Wraith Overlord deemed and "uncommon item"?  Did it not get the same number of copies printed.  Or is it because it has a large page count?  Or something else?

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:25 am 

Prufrock wrote:Question to the forum:  Why is Wraith Overlord deemed and "uncommon item"?  Did it not get the same number of copies printed.  Or is it because it has a large page count?  Or something else?

Martin

I don't want to speak for the expert(s) here, however I'd have to say its based solely on the how often it comes up for auction (which isn't all that often that I have seen).  Granted this is not exactly the best and/or most scientific method of traking actually rarity of an item, but since I am fairly certain that the actual print run numbers from Judges Guild at the time it was printed have long been lost in the sands of time.  So with that said, "how often it comes up for auction" really remains as the current "best way" of determining it now. Just my $.02, though I am sure other will chime in as well.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:54 am 

Martin

BC has it about right.

throughout a year, you prb only see a handful come up for auction. this year i have seen no more than a half dozen.

so from that perspective, its an uncommon item. it most certainly doesnt come up with any regularity thats for sure.

fyi tegel manor has showed up more this year than wraith overlord has. last year it was the other way round.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:17 pm 

The book might be uncommon as a result of demand. It's an interesting read, & expands an already popular module, City State of the Invincible Overlord.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:53 pm 

Guys, I'm just not buying the explainations given so far.  We see other mods come across ebay with regularity.

Tegel Manor was an installment mod so I understand its rarity.  However, from what I know Wraith Overlord was sold by JG and should have had the same number on a print run as others (except perhaps because of the high number of pages that may have lead to this module having a higher cost per mod than others).  Are we saying that it is just so popular that few people are willing to part with it?  Wouldn't the relatively high price commanded by this mod on ebay bring out more?

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:02 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Guys, I'm just not buying the explainations given so far.  We see other mods come across ebay with regularity.

Tegel Manor was an installment mod so I understand its rarity.  However, from what I know Wraith Overlord was sold by JG and should have had the same number on a print run as others (except perhaps because of the high number of pages that may have lead to this module having a higher cost per mod than others).  Are we saying that it is just so popular that few people are willing to part with it?  Wouldn't the relatively high price commanded by this mod on ebay bring out more?

Martin

I guess you have kind of lost me then.  :?  Your original question was:

Prufrock wrote:Question to the forum:  Why is Wraith Overlord deemed an(d)*sp? "uncommon item"?

Since again there is no actual print run information available from the time it was printed, we can only go on the residual evidence of how often it actually does come up for sale. Regardless of whether it goes $5 or $500 has nothing to do with anything as far as its percieved rarity.  It may cause people who own one and know the value of it to become more willing to part with it, but that really has nothing to do with your original question.  With a higher value it may cause it appear to be less rare because the *more often* an items sells the *less* rare it appears to be, however again that has nothing to do with your original question. It is deemed an "uncommon item" because it doesn't appear for auction all that often.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:22 pm 

martin

they didnt all have regular print runs dude. your argument with regard to product is poor. so why then is H1 rarer than N1? print runs are prb not that far different really (not that i would know), you see my point?

you simply just dont see wraith as often as other common items of the same period of time.

inferno had a decent print run about it - how do you explain whats happened to THAT item?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:44 pm 

If anyone is interested Hit Pointe has a few in shrink @ $45

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:47 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Question to the forum:  Why is Wraith Overlord deemed and "uncommon item"?  Did it not get the same number of copies printed.  Or is it because it has a large page count?  Or something else?

Martin

Print quantity I'm unsure of, and even knowing those numbers would probably not help much as a lot of product was destroyed:
*At the end of Judges Guild Bob had 1/3 of the product put in a warehouse of Blackhawk Hobbies, 1/3 of the product (Traveller stuff) put in a warehouse, 1/3 of the product put in a local warehouse
*Blackhawk Hobbies had a fire and lost all the product.

From data collected for the old Judges Guild site, this item was not listed (though not sure where the stock was, if that was the local warehouse or not)

So yeah, for the most part its availability unless more information comes to light (of which I have in some files a little bit on print count for a few select products).

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:27 pm 

I have a question about maps.

I am monitoring this item and I have seen seven come up this year. It seems to be one of the rarer JG items.

The first two I saw sold for approx. $50. Then, surprisingly, one Seller had three SW copies with a BIN of $6!!! They were quickly snapped up (unfortunately all sold before I discovered them). The next one and a current one are up in the $30 range.

This copy, which ends in a few hours does not have any maps.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

For the items I have seen sold this year I know a few were purchased by Acaeum members. If anyone has a copy, could they advise if they have 0, 1 or 2 maps?   Thanks.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:20 pm 

It comes with a large fold out map, white paper, printed front and back, showing the sewers, basements and known underground location in and around the CSIO.  It is believed that some copies may have come with the CSIO campaign map as well.  I have never seen such a copy, but Shane says it was advertised that way in a JG publication.

I have been looking for a second copy; one to play with and one to keep pristine for the collection.

I e-mailed the seller about the one up for auction to ask about the maps.  He gave some bull sh_t answer about some printings came without maps.  He said someone else asked the same question.  I noticed that he did not post the Q&A to his auction.  Someone is going to be pissed.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:09 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I am monitoring this item and I have seen seven come up this year. It seems to be one of the rarer JG items.

still has rarity 2 but booklet I rarity 1 + only find with original CSIO or how many nobleknight has??
no posts for comment on ratings or all behind scenes?? :) :)

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 am 

The Valuation board keeps up with how many times items come up for sale, the prices and condition where known (or guessed at).  As far as I know Shane/Plaag is determining rarity.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 am 

thanks did find one I on  
but any stash before now gone. no normal auction with one recently?? is off topic but was unsure about rating for wraith + some more not found by the pallet ;) ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:57 pm 

i have a er stash of guideline booklet I's in the back room...er somewhere but i know i have them.

i have prb at least 10.

they are not rare. terry had a box full....i would reckon on 200+

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:45 pm 

thanks Al
is still a serious question how DO you measure rarity as seems is bit arbitrary + bias with personal connections or knowledge. not measured by original print run or one major hoard alone?? thought that frequency of auction was also important factor. used to be??
someone in oz has nearly 20 woodgrains but still rated 5. tens of thousands white boxes and odnd supplement were made + common on ebay but rated 3. rating is how uncommonly seen not the price?? terrys box of Is is no longer to be seen i think and not at all common on eBay
thinking out loud anyhow :) :)

borrows http://www.acaeum.com/frontdesk/grading.html
1:  Routinely available in auctions.  Includes most D&D items published after 1980, with a few exceptions.

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:54 pm 

Concerning I's does Terry not still put them in his $20 map packs?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:17 pm 

Cushionsnbeans wrote:Concerning I's does Terry not still put them in his $20 map packs?

Yep:  

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Next