Wraith Overlord
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2
Author

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:51 pm 
 

Question to the forum:  Why is Wraith Overlord deemed and "uncommon item"?  Did it not get the same number of copies printed.  Or is it because it has a large page count?  Or something else?


Martin

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:25 am 
 

Prufrock wrote:Question to the forum:  Why is Wraith Overlord deemed and "uncommon item"?  Did it not get the same number of copies printed.  Or is it because it has a large page count?  Or something else?


Martin


I don't want to speak for the expert(s) here, however I'd have to say its based solely on the how often it comes up for auction (which isn't all that often that I have seen).  Granted this is not exactly the best and/or most scientific method of traking actually rarity of an item, but since I am fairly certain that the actual print run numbers from Judges Guild at the time it was printed have long been lost in the sands of time.  So with that said, "how often it comes up for auction" really remains as the current "best way" of determining it now. Just my $.02, though I am sure other will chime in as well.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:54 am 
 

Martin

BC has it about right.

throughout a year, you prb only see a handful come up for auction. this year i have seen no more than a half dozen.

so from that perspective, its an uncommon item. it most certainly doesnt come up with any regularity thats for sure.

fyi tegel manor has showed up more this year than wraith overlord has. last year it was the other way round.

Al



  


Sage Collector

Posts: 2117
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Last Visit: Jul 26, 2021
Location: Far Harad, Texas

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:17 pm 
 

The book might be uncommon as a result of demand. It's an interesting read, & expands an already popular module, City State of the Invincible Overlord.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:53 pm 
 

Guys, I'm just not buying the explainations given so far.  We see other mods come across ebay with regularity.

Tegel Manor was an installment mod so I understand its rarity.  However, from what I know Wraith Overlord was sold by JG and should have had the same number on a print run as others (except perhaps because of the high number of pages that may have lead to this module having a higher cost per mod than others).  Are we saying that it is just so popular that few people are willing to part with it?  Wouldn't the relatively high price commanded by this mod on ebay bring out more?

Martin

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:02 pm 
 

Prufrock wrote:Guys, I'm just not buying the explainations given so far.  We see other mods come across ebay with regularity.

Tegel Manor was an installment mod so I understand its rarity.  However, from what I know Wraith Overlord was sold by JG and should have had the same number on a print run as others (except perhaps because of the high number of pages that may have lead to this module having a higher cost per mod than others).  Are we saying that it is just so popular that few people are willing to part with it?  Wouldn't the relatively high price commanded by this mod on ebay bring out more?

Martin


I guess you have kind of lost me then.  :?  Your original question was:

Prufrock wrote:Question to the forum:  Why is Wraith Overlord deemed an(d)*sp? "uncommon item"?


Since again there is no actual print run information available from the time it was printed, we can only go on the residual evidence of how often it actually does come up for sale. Regardless of whether it goes $5 or $500 has nothing to do with anything as far as its percieved rarity.  It may cause people who own one and know the value of it to become more willing to part with it, but that really has nothing to do with your original question.  With a higher value it may cause it appear to be less rare because the *more often* an items sells the *less* rare it appears to be, however again that has nothing to do with your original question. It is deemed an "uncommon item" because it doesn't appear for auction all that often.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:22 pm 
 

martin

they didnt all have regular print runs dude. your argument with regard to product is poor. so why then is H1 rarer than N1? print runs are prb not that far different really (not that i would know), you see my point?

you simply just dont see wraith as often as other common items of the same period of time.

inferno had a decent print run about it - how do you explain whats happened to THAT item?

Al



  


JG Valuation Board

Posts: 149
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Last Visit: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Whitley Bay,Tyne and Wear

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:44 pm 
 

If anyone is interested Hit Pointe has a few in shrink @ $45

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4497
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 27, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:47 pm 
 

Prufrock wrote:Question to the forum:  Why is Wraith Overlord deemed and "uncommon item"?  Did it not get the same number of copies printed.  Or is it because it has a large page count?  Or something else?


Martin


Print quantity I'm unsure of, and even knowing those numbers would probably not help much as a lot of product was destroyed:
*At the end of Judges Guild Bob had 1/3 of the product put in a warehouse of Blackhawk Hobbies, 1/3 of the product (Traveller stuff) put in a warehouse, 1/3 of the product put in a local warehouse
*Blackhawk Hobbies had a fire and lost all the product.

From data collected for the old Judges Guild site, this item was not listed (though not sure where the stock was, if that was the local warehouse or not)

So yeah, for the most part its availability unless more information comes to light (of which I have in some files a little bit on print count for a few select products).

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2044
Joined: Aug 28, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 11, 2021
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:27 pm 
 

I have a question about maps.



I am monitoring this item and I have seen seven come up this year. It seems to be one of the rarer JG items.



The first two I saw sold for approx. $50. Then, surprisingly, one Seller had three SW copies with a BIN of $6!!! They were quickly snapped up (unfortunately all sold before I discovered them). The next one and a current one are up in the $30 range.



This copy, which ends in a few hours does not have any maps.




** expired eBay auction **




For the items I have seen sold this year I know a few were purchased by Acaeum members. If anyone has a copy, could they advise if they have 0, 1 or 2 maps?   Thanks.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 266
Joined: Aug 26, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 04, 2017
Location: Nevada, TX

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:20 pm 
 

It comes with a large fold out map, white paper, printed front and back, showing the sewers, basements and known underground location in and around the CSIO.  It is believed that some copies may have come with the CSIO campaign map as well.  I have never seen such a copy, but Shane says it was advertised that way in a JG publication.

I have been looking for a second copy; one to play with and one to keep pristine for the collection.

I e-mailed the seller about the one up for auction to ask about the maps.  He gave some bull sh_t answer about some printings came without maps.  He said someone else asked the same question.  I noticed that he did not post the Q&A to his auction.  Someone is going to be pissed.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1107
Joined: Dec 04, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2016

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:09 am 
 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I am monitoring this item and I have seen seven come up this year. It seems to be one of the rarer JG items.

still has rarity 2 but booklet I rarity 1 + only find with original CSIO or how many nobleknight has??
no posts for comment on ratings or all behind scenes?? :) :)

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 266
Joined: Aug 26, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 04, 2017
Location: Nevada, TX

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 am 
 

The Valuation board keeps up with how many times items come up for sale, the prices and condition where known (or guessed at).  As far as I know Shane/Plaag is determining rarity.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1107
Joined: Dec 04, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2016

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 am 
 

thanks did find one I on  
** expired eBay auction **
but any stash before now gone. no normal auction with one recently?? is off topic but was unsure about rating for wraith + some more not found by the pallet ;) ;)

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:57 pm 
 

i have a er stash of guideline booklet I's in the back room...er somewhere but i know i have them.

i have prb at least 10.

they are not rare. terry had a box full....i would reckon on 200+

Al



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1107
Joined: Dec 04, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2016

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:45 pm 
 

thanks Al
is still a serious question how DO you measure rarity as seems is bit arbitrary + bias with personal connections or knowledge. not measured by original print run or one major hoard alone?? thought that frequency of auction was also important factor. used to be??
someone in oz has nearly 20 woodgrains but still rated 5. tens of thousands white boxes and odnd supplement were made + common on ebay but rated 3. rating is how uncommonly seen not the price?? terrys box of Is is no longer to be seen i think and not at all common on eBay
thinking out loud anyhow :) :)

borrows http://www.acaeum.com/frontdesk/grading.html
1:  Routinely available in auctions.  Includes most D&D items published after 1980, with a few exceptions.

  


JG Valuation Board

Posts: 149
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Last Visit: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Whitley Bay,Tyne and Wear

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:54 pm 
 

Concerning I's does Terry not still put them in his $20 map packs?

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4497
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jul 27, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:17 pm 
 

Cushionsnbeans wrote:Concerning I's does Terry not still put them in his $20 map packs?




Yep:  
** expired eBay auction **




ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:44 am 
 

yes he does. i also thought this rarity lark, isnt just what is sold on ebay? unless someone says re: private sales, that has to amend the rarity sale too. i know i have sold appx 8-9 I's in the last year just myself and i know terry has very very likely sold 10 times that as he does a crap-load of private selling. he prb has the values n everything as well as numbers.

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:04 pm 
 

I have two copies of Wraith Overlord...one still in the shrink and one that I opened.

Is it that much of a rarity?


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2