tdewey's JG auctions set new records!
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:25 am 

I hope you don't mind me making a thread of this tdewey!

That was an interesting lot of auctions our friend tdewey just ran. A lot of them seemed to be price records. For example:

Wraith Overlord - $54.71

Pegasus 2 - $25.00

2nd print, Revised City State - $80.00

1st print, Wilderlands of the Fantastic Reaches - $92.99!

and more

Was this just a noob phenomenon or are we starting to see Judges Guild making its mark as a collectible?

Do you think this subweb is playing a part is drawing people's attention to JG as a collectible?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:54 am 

Possibly the time of year people have more to spend.
Course I'd not down play the site as I've seen it mentioned more and more. Not to mention being listed in print at the back of the Free RPG day Tell Qa :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:43 am 

i think its just cool to see that some of the JG stuff is becoming a known collectable item.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:11 pm 

Wow, and I thought paying $60 for a revised 2nd print of CSIO was high. Whew!

Makes me wish I was a seller, but I don't have the inventory.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:36 pm 

That was a really great auction

There seems to be a definite upturn. great news for all you muckers holding stock; Al et alt.

I'm sure the site has had an impact. I'd need to check but a few of the recent auctions have very quickly moved up to the site value before creeping up later.

On the flip side there are still a few absolute bargains out there.

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:54 pm 

Do you think this subweb is playing a part is drawing people's attention to JG as a collectible?

When I see sellers listing items incorrectly or incomplete or making comments like I don't know anything about this item, I send them an eBay e-mail directing them to this site.  I have had more than one seller thank me for that tip.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:29 am 

That is a good point. I have noticed that. A lot more Sellers are listing JG stuff correctly and linking to the Acaeum. The downside of this of course is it is going to be harder to find those bargains where the Seller doesn't know what they are listing!!!

But I also feel that the subweb is bringing a lot more attention and respectability to JG :cheers:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:03 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:That is a good point. I have noticed that. A lot more Sellers are listing JG stuff correctly and linking to the Acaeum. The downside of this of course is it is going to be harder to find those bargains where the Seller doesn't know what they are listing!!!

But I also feel that the subweb is bringing a lot more attention and respectability to JG :cheers:

well that was something i was always hoping it would do, with the task shane undertook. a lot of folk are very ignorant of JG products and from a collectable point, i still think they are very cool as they are just as old as D&D products.

but hey thats life. the more aware you make folk of something, the less chance of finding what you want cheap. you cant have everything.

pretty pleased though that JG stuff is getting a much higher promotion these days.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:40 am 

I can tell you the reason behind the "Wraith Overlord" price.  I am going in for back surgery in early November and I will be layed up for 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery.  So I placed a bid the would not lose as I wish to have this mod to read during my recovery.

Do you guys believe the bid is out of line?  Be honest.  I do not know.  I've seen this mod go in the 40's.  

Cannot wait to get it.

Thanks
Martin

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:50 am 

Prufrock wrote:I can tell you the reason behind the "Wraith Overlord" price.  I am going in for back surgery in early November and I will be layed up for 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery.  So I placed a bid the would not lose as I wish to have this mod to read during my recovery.

Do you guys believe the bid is out of line?

Your purchase appears to be a sacrifice to the deities of medicine. Offerings to the gods are supposed to be magnanimous, hoping for a favorable divine magnanimity in return, so yes, I think it's fitting.

Slaughtering three white doves to Asclepius immediately before the surgery would be more effective, but most modern hospitals would disallow it.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:54 am 

Prufrock wrote:I can tell you the reason behind the "Wraith Overlord" price.  I am going in for back surgery in early November and I will be layed up for 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery.  So I placed a bid the would not lose as I wish to have this mod to read during my recovery.

Do you guys believe the bid is out of line?  Be honest.  I do not know.  I've seen this mod go in the 40's.  

Cannot wait to get it.

Thanks
Martin

Is a good price for an uncommon item.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:57 am 

leadjunkie wrote:When I see sellers listing items incorrectly or incomplete or making comments like I don't know anything about this item, I send them an eBay e-mail directing them to this site.  I have had more than one seller thank me for that tip.

I've done the same and gotten similar reactions. :)

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:29 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I hope you don't mind me making a thread of this tdewey!

That was an interesting lot of auctions our friend tdewey just ran. A lot of them seemed to be price records. For example:

Wraith Overlord - $54.71
Pegasus 2 - $25.00
2nd print, Revised City State - $80.00
1st print, Wilderlands of the Fantastic Reaches - $92.99!

and more

Was this just a noob phenomenon or are we starting to see Judges Guild making its mark as a collectible?

I dont want to be seen as "Mr. Negativity" but IMHO, some of these prices seem to be an abberation.  Specifically with the Wilderlands and the Revised City State.  Several of those auctions were bid up by a couple of very new Ebay members including dragonesque1.   I didnt think the Wraith Overlord price was excessive but Prufrock is on some serious medication.  :wink:

Regardless of anything else, the price on the Revised CSIO was freakishly high.  I just won this one back in July for $29:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The pictures are gone but suffice to say it was very minty.

Maybe I am just being whiny because it has gotten very difficult to get some of the more popular Judges Guild items lately.  Tegel Manor has traditionally been one of the higher priced modules but the auction prices have been skyrocketing lately.  I honestly blame the "shrew encounter" for the higher than normal Tegel prices over the last two months.  Every Tegel auction I have seen lately has the same four or five Acaeum members bidding the price up along with a handful of non-Acaeum members in the mix.  Probably so they can run the module for their group and have their own "shrewfest".  :roll:

If this goes for more than $10...I will shoot someone...with a potato bazooka....I swear.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

:D

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:18 am 

lol :)

Martin - i didnt think the wraith price was too bad - little on the high side "maybe" but ok nonetheless in the current market. it is most definately an uncommon item and not "that" easy to find. sure if you sit and wait you will get one (like most things).

John - once i get back from oz, i will have a spare Tegel for you. i will speak to you when i get back, so don't go paying any silly amounts til i get back ok :) unless you see one for a $20 BIN of course :D

its cool to have a good healthy JG market and why not. there are some very cool items to be had and maybe this will tempt other nice pieces out of the woodwork in the process?

i have sold a lot of my rarer JG things privately to collectors and am glad i have, as i like to think putting them in a good home like that, preserves the item like it prb should be.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:09 am 

Yes, KingofPain, I am on some serious Meds and should probably stop bidding on auctions, driving, and dancing with the big hairy spiders that talk to me at night.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:38 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Do you think this subweb is playing a part is drawing people's attention to JG as a collectible?

I was very surprised by the Pegasus, Thracia, Survival and CSIO bids.    CSWE also went for more than I thought it would.  I remain irrationally committed to the idea that that copy of the Wilderlands will end up being one of the level 5 JG rarities so the price isn't out of line -- but maybe tomorrow someone will find a box of the first ed with the no-booty list cover.  Overall I think JG items are increasing in D&D collectors awareness -- mostly becaue of Plagg & etc work on this site.

Anyway -- bad news for winners is that nothing ships until Tuesday.  I'm still in Austin and my wife is in Orlando.  She gets back home Monday night.  Apologies for the delay for those of you who have already paid.  I'll get invoices out today for those who need 'em.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:44 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Yes, KingofPain, I am on some serious Meds and should probably stop bidding on auctions, driving, and dancing with the big hairy spiders that talk to me at night.

Martin

So you're the one that's been dancing with my spider -- I knew she was seeing somebody else!
That's what I get for dating a Tarantella!
:)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:04 pm 

How do you tell the original 70s-80s printings from the copious later reprints?

Next