Newbie needs help and info
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:22 pm 

I am a newbie at all this. I have tons of books I am trying to sell on Ebay for my brotherinlaw. In one auction ( which you all have a link to on another board LOL) it contains The Temple of Elemental Evil in fine to very fine condition, and 3rd print Character Codex. Now my problem is when my husband went to take the Codex out of the sleeve it was in the first 2 perforated pages came off. Now the winner of the auction who actually won them for $28.57. When I told him what happened and asked if we could work something out, he now wants to give me $8.57 for both books. All the research I have done is telling me that they are worth more than that but I thought if I joined here and asked someone would know better than I did. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. To see the books even though the auction has ended you can go here:  
** expired eBay auction **

Thanks in advance :scratch:

Shirl

WWW YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:33 pm 

for what its worth?

if it was ME that won the item....and then you told me that? i prb wouldnt want it or offer anything for it unless i was totally and absolutely desperate for it.

he could turn round and state no sale to ebay because the item isnt in the same condition as you were selling it in.

a damaged book is well...damaged. i beleive it has very nominal value at best.

sorry i cant be any more optimistic for you.

Al

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:09 pm 

** expired eBay auction **

This auction right?

Al (Killjoy)  is probably right - the condition of the books has a serious effect on their value. While the auction description does not give much away regarding condition I would suggest that the 'near mint' part suggests that the books were at least whole.

Not much help really, but if the buyer wants he does have a pretty good get out clause, again as Al stated  So do you want to lose this sale and presumably, the possibility of losing the sale on the other item this buyer won from you? If you relisted it, with more information, it could well sell for a similar amount, but it's a bit of a lottery, can you be bothered, or is there perhaps some compromise to be made? After all many of  us son't start with our best offer do we?! :twisted:

(As another aside (sorry to waffle) if it were me as a buyer, then this bit of your auction description would possibly make me want to offer less, just on general principles.)

We MUST hear from you within 2 days of the auction close. If we DO NOT RECEIVE PAYMENT WITHIN 7 DAYS (unless previous arrangements are made) item will be relisted and negative feedback left. I WILL leave negative feedback and turn it over to Ebays Safeharbor for ALL nonpaying bidders

It just , to me at least, gives a message that you are going to send in the ebay heavy mob at the drop of a hat - and this kind of statement would make me get my retaliation in first (?!). Don't take this personally - we all have our own 'terms and conditions', perhaps I'm just reading too much in to it.

(Oh, and post worldwide!!!! - says Carl in the UK - m-bags please :D  :lol:  :D )

Good luck in any case

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:14 pm 

We did offer a compromise(spelling was never my strong suit). But I just wasnt sure if I was being taken advantage of at the end or not. I even told the man that we would just void the auction altogether and he wouldnt owe anything for it. I was trying to be as fair as I possible could.

Shirl

WWW YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:17 pm 

silkanjel1 wrote:We did offer a compromise(spelling was never my strong suit). But I just wasnt sure if I was being taken advantage of at the end or not. I even told the man that we would just void the auction altogether and he wouldnt owe anything for it. I was trying to be as fair as I possible could.

You can't say fairer than that - doing what you feel is right is always the way ahead - and generally works out all right in the end (even if the end is a long way off!).

Once again, I wish you luck.

Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:39 pm 

General approach: you should offer to negotiate a lower price, with the understanding in advance that if you can't both agree to a price, you'll void the transaction and charge him nothing and no one files any complaints.

Specifics: Even if his interest in the CC is totally shot, 8.57 + 4.47 for a ToEE in very good shape sounds mighty low.  I'd pay more than that, if I hadn't gotten one already.  I'd pass.

Just remember not to get into an argument with him about them being worth much more than that to other people.  If he doesn't want to offer more because his interest in them has dropped tremendously, it's dropped tremendously.  If he's trying to take advantage (and I suspect he is), he can't succeed without you acceding.  Politely say you're sorry his interest in them was affected so much, apologize sincerely for the accident again, and move on.  Relist (with a very clear description of the imperfection and reason it had to be relisted) and get a much better price.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:04 pm 

If I bought an auction and later found out that the description was wrong, I would report the seller, keep the item, and demand my money back, after giving the seller some time to repent for the evil wrongdoing to my money-grubbing soul. :) If you can't list it right, you shouldn't sell it. There should never be "accidents" like listing an item that is not what it is....

Heh, somewhat seriously:

I'd just say: look, the item was not flawed when it was listed, but became such when it was being packaged for shipping; if you do not want it, then I will not send it to you, and refund 100% of your money, for that auction (other wins are unaffected since they did not have this problem) - if you do want it, I will send it, and refund 25% of the auction price.

I think that's fair, and more than fair, actually, but whatever.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:15 pm 

Actually, the $28.57 is a pretty good price to get a reasonably good complete ToEE (without the Codex).  I would probably offer something like the 25% off or not to sell them to him.  His offer is just an attempt to steal them from you and I probably wouldn't go too far out of my way to help him out after his offer.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:04 am 

The moral of this story might also be:  

Don't take the Character Codex out of its sleeve.

Why open the sleeve at all?

Why couldn't the Character Codex be shipped in the sleeve?

Were the perforated pages already loose, or did they tear loose when the sleeve was opened?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:10 pm 

He had asked a question reguarding the inside of the book and its contents, whether it had a map inside. That was the only reason for taking it out. We  have settled it. He was not charged for that auction, only the other 2 auctions that he bought.
But after reading more and more on here I think I priced alot of things very low, and when I post the rest of it, and the hundreds of MTG cards I will definitely do more research on here. My brotherinlaw was into so many different roleplaying games, I never knew so many existed LOL

Shirl

WWW YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:21 pm 

Mars wrote:Actually, the $28.57 is a pretty good price to get a reasonably good complete ToEE (without the Codex).  I would probably offer something like the 25% off or not to sell them to him.  His offer is just an attempt to steal them from you and I probably wouldn't go too far out of my way to help him out after his offer.

Agreed.  He's taking a minor flaw and using it to score a deal.  Void the sale, take the hit on eBay fees, move on.

YIM