December 1977 Judges Guild Fantasy Catalog
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:53 am 

I was going through my JG items, and I found a December 1977 catalog that is not listed here.  I assume it came with my subscription.  If I ever get my scanner going again, I can send you a scan if you are interested.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:32 am 

8O
Yeah most definitely. When you get things sorted with the scanner I'll talk with you about what I'd like scans of.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:33 am 

Plaag wrote:8O
Yeah most definitely. When you get things sorted with the scanner I'll talk with you about what I'd like scans of.

ShaneG.

like every page?  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:37 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
like every page?  :D

:lol: :P

Well I assume this is newspaper style so that would be a bit difficult, but as I've done with my own catalogs, its more then the cover I'd like.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:43 am 

whats the catalog that comes with instalment T. i have some of them with the instalment but funnily enough i have never read one?

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:46 am 

killjoy32 wrote:whats the catalog that comes with instalment T. i have some of them with the instalment but funnily enough i have never read one?

Al

August 1978
http://www.acaeum.com/jg/ModPhotos/CatalogAugust78.html

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:48 am 

cool! now i dont need to go look :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:03 pm 

The December 1977 catalog has the same Wilderlands picture as the August 1978 front page, but doesn't say "FREE" above the picture.

The short note on the left hand front is exactly the same as the August 1978, except it starts "Welcome to the December '77... and it is signed Bob Bledsaw and Bill Owens instead of just Bob Bledsaw.

Having pulled out my old subscription JG stuff, I noticed a couple of other odd things.  My I-1 to 5 dungeon levels are two different colors.  3 and 5 are lighter yellow, but I know they all came together.

I have a first print cover sheet of City State of the World Emperor, but the Book 1 I have is the one you show as a second print.  Again, I know these came together as I only ever got one set.  I think the CSWE may also have come with a set of the Magic Realm maps and books.  I have two identical sets, one of which came with my installments 13 and 14.  I don't know where I would have gotten another set, as I let the subscription lapse after 14.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:56 pm 

ddt58 wrote:The December 1977 catalog has the same Wilderlands picture as the August 1978 front page, but doesn't say "FREE" above the picture.

The short note on the left hand front is exactly the same as the August 1978, except it starts "Welcome to the December '77... and it is signed Bob Bledsaw and Bill Owens instead of just Bob Bledsaw.

Having pulled out my old subscription JG stuff, I noticed a couple of other odd things.  My I-1 to 5 dungeon levels are two different colors.  3 and 5 are lighter yellow, but I know they all came together.

I have a first print cover sheet of City State of the World Emperor, but the Book 1 I have is the one you show as a second print.  Again, I know these came together as I only ever got one set.  I think the CSWE may also have come with a set of the Magic Realm maps and books.  I have two identical sets, one of which came with my installments 13 and 14.  I don't know where I would have gotten another set, as I let the subscription lapse after 14.

Cool info on the catalog...curious as to Booty list in this (but also would like some other scans when you can)

CSIO is like you described (probably should state that, and no confirmation yet on either of those being on darker paper)

CSWE - you have the envelope? I have one with envelope without the cover sheet (could have been thrown out) and another without envelope with the 1st print cover sheet. Also know the 2nd print cover sheet comes with the 2nd print book - but this book was the one Bledsaw I have commenting about (not specific but is the only CSWE book that changes) the print being less then the two other books. So is great to know this could be true (Both 1st and 2nd are from 1980)..so an envelope would be a bonus. Oh and do you have or recall having this with yours: http://www.acaeum.com/jg/ModPhotos/CSWE ... elope.html

So would love to hear when you started getting subscriptions, when you ended, etc..anything else you can remember about this time.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:34 pm 

I subscribed for two years and I am pretty sure my last issue was 14.  I don't have anything from Intallment 15.  I believe they were 6 issue subscriptions, which would have my first subscription starting at Installment L.  I have Journals J and K and all of the stuff from those installments except maybe a couple of the ref sheets.  But I also have the first print cover page and all of the pieces from the CSIO package, which would have come with booklets I and J.  Since I didn't have two copies of Booklet J until I bought a couple of extras on Ebay a few years back, I doubt I got Installment J as part of the subscription.  I think they included some of that as extra goodies with early subscriptions.

I do have one JG envelope with a postmark of November 17, 1977.  However, it is a big brown shipping envelope with bubble wrap inside.  I am pretty sure it was not an installment envelope.  It maybe something I got separately, as I also have First Fantasy Campaign and Fantastic Wilderlands Beyond, which were not part of the subscriptions.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 pm 

I have a question on the December 1977 catalog. I recently bought one, but as is my wont lately being addle-brained in the latter part of a PhD, I didn't check and double check the description.

The item I received has 8 pages and our Acaeum description says 16 pages. Dang - bought a hlaf a catalog. What has me confused however, is that the inside of the back page (which is clearly the back page as it is on the same newspaper sheet as the front cover) says 'page 7'. ???

Can someone clarify?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:05 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I have a question on the December 1977 catalog. I recently bought one, but as is my wont lately being addle-brained in the latter part of a PhD, I didn't check and double check the description.

The item I received has 8 pages and our Acaeum description says 16 pages. Dang - bought a hlaf a catalog. What has me confused however, is that the inside of the back page (which is clearly the back page as it is on the same newspaper sheet as the front cover) says 'page 7'. ???

Can someone clarify?

No you are not addle-brained, it is I who did not correct the description.  I also have one and just double checked.  So you got the full catalog..just remind me to correct that this weekend. :)

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:52 am 

Thanks for that. Then I got a real bargain. I won with the only bid $10. I was surprised when no one else bid against me considering the last one on Ebay sold for over $40

Last edited by HermitFromPluto on Wed May 21, 2008 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:39 am 

Catalogs are a fickle bunch, not everyone wants them.

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:54 am 

There were six bidders on the last one though including me and I was not the next to last. So there is a fair interest and certainly some of the big collectors names are amongst the bidders. I still feel this must be an exceptionally rare item. Not that many can have been printed and most would have been thrown away. Also I am increasingly interested in catalogs as they gove a real intersting window into the RPG scene of their day.