old school JG modules in the current days game
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:51 am 

hey guys

just something i wanted to mention too, though its kinda covered in another thread elsewhere.

at gencon, i decided to run the old version of Tegel Manor. ie. the small orange 1st print booklet with hardly anything in it.

did it work in the modern days game? youre damn right it did. ask the guys who played it Mike, Martin and John. They all thought it was a blast and for me, it just shows that with the right touches and some quick thinking, its easy to bring one of the older products to life so well.

the game flowed very well and things were fun and exciting all the time.

some of the stuff is a little out-dated for sure, but with a little amending and nudging here and there, you can make it fit just right.

i have to give Tegel a solid 10 out of 10 and for me, it still remains as one of my most favorite modules to DM. i was just so glad that the guys enjoyed it so much. i honestly think they enjoyed this more than they would have Q1 or R1 (which i also had with me ready to play).

makes me happy that Judges Guild still stands up well in a good game - these were experienced gaming guys too.

next time i will use a different item just off the cuff, but i will take tegel with me again once more (modified slightly to suit my own style of DMing), so any of the guys who want a quick bash at it, are welcome to do so!

has anyone else used them in games? i would be real interested to know what they thought of them from a DMing perspective and what the gamers thought.

Al

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:56 am 

I'm in the planning stages now.

Going to use a couple of items from the  Treasure Maps series they should be quite easy to integrate into the campaign.

Will let you know how it goes.

D.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:58 am 

Cushionsnbeans wrote:I'm in the planning stages now.

Going to use a couple of items from the  Treasure Maps series they should be quite easy to integrate into the campaign.

Will let you know how it goes.

D.

you know i "almost" took that along instead of Tegel as the adventures are pretty cool and quite short and easy to play. will be really interested to see how they pan out!

be sure to pipe in and lemme know please.

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:59 am 

I used a modified Thieves of Badabaskor before (only the top two levels) and that went over well.
I have done a little with Tegel Manor, but only with the village before things cropped up. Course I'd played in it at a GenCon 4-5 years ago and it started me on the Judges Guild frenzy I'm in today :)
Man makes me want to just sit down and read that booklet again.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:03 am 

Plaag wrote:I used a modified Thieves of Badabaskor before (only the top two levels) and that went over well.
I have done a little with Tegel Manor, but only with the village before things cropped up. Course I'd played in it at a GenCon 4-5 years ago and it started me on the Judges Guild frenzy I'm in today :)
Man makes me want to just sit down and read that booklet again.

ShaneG.

shane you really should man. i forgot how cool it really was. when i was reading it through pre-gencon, i had it quite clear in my head how encounters were going to flow and everything....it was just so cool!

i also had a look at the gamescience one for the 1st time too and you know what? that is equally as good as its fleshed out a lot and pretty cool as well, though in a different way. i still like the old one better, only because it suits my way of DMing more as i like to mould things myself and not have them narrated out for me.

Al

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:15 am 

Some of us havent got a Tegel........ :cry:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:16 am 

Cushionsnbeans wrote:Some of us havent got a Tegel........ :cry:

well bar for one and the one martin bought, i bought all of them in GenCon  :oops: (the gamescience ones that is)

Al

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:17 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
i had it quite clear in my head how encounters were going to flow and everything....it was just so cool!

You mean you had the whole shrew thing worked out in advance?  When did you know it would jump on Mike's back?

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:20 am 

One more reason to try and get out there next year.... :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:34 am 

improvstone wrote:
You mean you had the whole shrew thing worked out in advance?  When did you know it would jump on Mike's back?

nah i didnt mean it like that. when using a particular creature and where it is situated to start with in the room, thats HOW i would like it to happen if its possible.

the second they went into that room, i KNEW that mike would most certainly go and look at the boots that were right next to the chair, which gave me the opportunity to spring my encounter in perfect timing :)

the rest of it was all made by them, i just manipulated it into a lot of fun. i really have never in all my years of DMing, seen so much bedlam come from something so little :)

Al

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:54 am 

This thread highlights the major flaw in the way that WOTC is presenting their 4e.
RPG's should be about shared time, a few laughs, group imagination, storytelling and friendships.
It should not be confined to rigid rule sets that remind me of programming 101 flowcharts.
I have had entire evenings of running a game when I don't even look at a rulebook.
If I want the monster to lurk beyond the range of light cast from the lantern then that is what will happen.
To me it is about the narrative that the group builds together.
I discovered that way back around 1980 when I was winging an encounter in a Gamma World game I was running for some new people.
They were scared to death for over half an hour while exploring a ruined gas station and were sure they were being attacked when somebody triggered the drawer spring on an old cash register.
Rules in use during that session were almost zero, memories...priceless.  :D

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:14 pm 

well i tell you - ask the guys who played in the tegel manor session, how much in the way of rules i actually used.

i think you will find, very little. its the way i have always DMd. i dont think the players care less as long as the thought process of what happens is sensible. after all, its all about the flow of the game. THATs what folk enjoy.

i also dont always sit behind the DM screen being mysterious...i like to get involved with the players and interact with them around the miniatures etc...it made the game feel more alive i thought.

games like that, i think personally, you could play anything and it would STILL be a cool session.

Al

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:48 pm 

I am using Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia in a game. I don't own a TM yet but I'm trying to find one.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:48 pm 

Cushionsnbeans wrote:Some of us havent got a Tegel........ :cry:

The Gamescience Tegel is available.

The only difficulty I find in using old modules...particularly Judges Guild...is that the setting needs to be revised.  (I find it hard to start out with a campaign by saying, "OK, there were these dwarves..." or "Millions of years ago...")  The problem is not the module or the rules.  It is that role-playing expectations have changed.

Some people might love the child-like nature of some of the early modules, where grossly evil villains do things like leave cute poems in the dungeon to give player characters clues on how to find their treasure.

I was watching the first Harry Potter movie in the theatre when Dumbledore said, "I enchanted the stone so that it could only be found by someone who didn't want to use it."  

I didn't really plan it, but I blurted out, "Orrrrr, you could have enchanted it so that no one could find it!"  

The guy in the next row turned around and glared at me.

Picture Dr. Evil planning a dungeon:  

Dr. Evil:  "OK, just before the death trap we'll have a poem on the wall telling them how to avoid it."

Scott:  "What, you're givin' em a clue?  Why not just kill em?"

Dr. Evil:  "You don't get it, do you, Scott?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."