Imperial Town of Tell Qa
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:49 pm 

Any idea of the actual cover price of Tell Qa XXXI?

Also, any availability for those of us who live far away from Indianapolis?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:50 pm 

I'll be picking up one.

:)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:45 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Any idea of the actual cover price of Tell Qa XXXI?

Also, any availability for those of us who live far away from Indianapolis?

I still don't know, though at this point I'm expecting somewhere between $7 and $9. It will be on heavier paper than the FRPGD version, and three times the page count!

As for those who will not be at Gen Con, this edition is the special Gen Con edition. A full-fledged for-sale-normally version will be available soon thereafter. Things are in flux here, right now, so I won't say when just yet... because I don't know myself. I wish I knew, really, because then I could tell you...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:47 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:
I still don't know, though at this point I'm expecting somewhere between $7 and $9. It will be on heavier paper than the FRPGD version, and three times the page count!

As for those who will not be at Gen Con, this edition is the special Gen Con edition. A full-fledged for-sale-normally version will be available soon thereafter. Things are in flux here, right now, so I won't say when just yet... because I don't know myself. I wish I knew, really, because then I could tell you...

OK, then...do I need to arrange for someone to pick me up a copy, or do I order a copy?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:35 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:Mike, have you actually sold any at that price?

James, I actually have...!  Actually, just one.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:38 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
i actually wouldnt mind one mike, but would also like the full/real deal too.

Al

PM me Al...and Mark....I'll try to pick up as many copies as I can for Acaeum members if they are interested.  

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:10 am 

James, if you really wish to aim for collectibility, go out of business now, and Tell Qa will be guaranteed to be the Jade Hare of the 2020s collector generation. ;)

Although, hopefully, better.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:34 pm 

Must I beg? Can someone please, please, please, please get me a copy of this? :( Just having the little preview FRPGD thing is not enough. Must have the whole shebang.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:03 pm 

Okay, so there's no misunderstanding, let me reiterate:

The Tell Qa portion of XXXI is essentially no different from that found in the Free RPG Day product. There are no added stores, and the NPCs have not been expanded upon. With a few minor changes, it is otherwise the same 28,000 words as presented in the Free RPG Day product.

What XXXI DOES add to the Tell Qa element are 20 specific random encounters for Tell Qa. NPCs tied in directly to the location, with plenty of adventure possibilities in each one. 20 encounters, 6,000 words.

It ALSO provides a description of the Mycretians, their goals and methods, three sects of the faith, and the complete Mycretian character class (quite powerful, very hard to run as a character, and suggested for use as an NPC, as was the original), along with all the new gifts (i.e., spell-like abilities) for the Mycretian class. The Mycretian class and the description totals 15,000 words.

And then there are two other smaller bits added... nothing major, just some fun stuff. Some of it has been seen online before, some of it is new... Another 2,500 words or so.

So altogether only about half of XXXI is new.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:11 pm 

Melan wrote:James, if you really wish to aim for collectibility, go out of business now, and Tell Qa will be guaranteed to be the Jade Hare of the 2020s collector generation. ;)

Although, hopefully, better.

I'm not doing this for the collectibility factor, per se. If I was, I'd be selling each at ~$20, rather than the ~$6 to 8 that should be the final price.

I'm doing a Gen Con special because I feel that Gen Con attendees should be able to get something cool at the show that they can't get otherwise. Back in the day, you found all sorts of stuff like this, not because it was specially made to be limited, but because the market was so disarticulated, and a product that was common in, say, Baltimore might never be sold in New York, let alone Chicago.

Today, with the Internet and our global marketplace, there's no longer anything that's unknown, that's seemingly unique. Frankly, I miss that factor at conventions. I also want to award those who put up the cash to attend the show. It's not cheap to go to these things, I am sure you are aware, but they are, in the current market, the best way to keep the spirit of gaming alive.

Mixed reasons, but not for the collectibility alone. Everything that is in XXXI will make its way out through normal channels, though not necessarily together in this format. The Mycretian class will likely not be included in the final published version of Tell Qa; with the expansions I have planned for it, there's simply no room. The 20 encounters will remain (and will be expanded with more such encounters in the final Tell Qa product). The other bits will reappear, eventually, in their different products.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:29 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:
I'm not doing this for the collectibility factor, per se. If I was, I'd be selling each at ~$20, rather than the ~$6 to 8 that should be the final price.

I'm doing a Gen Con special because I feel that Gen Con attendees should be able to get something cool at the show that they can't get otherwise. Back in the day, you found all sorts of stuff like this, not because it was specially made to be limited, but because the market was so disarticulated, and a product that was common in, say, Baltimore might never be sold in New York, let alone Chicago.

Today, with the Internet and our global marketplace, there's no longer anything that's unknown, that's seemingly unique. Frankly, I miss that factor at conventions. I also want to award those who put up the cash to attend the show. It's not cheap to go to these things, I am sure you are aware, but they are, in the current market, the best way to keep the spirit of gaming alive.

Mixed reasons, but not for the collectibility alone. Everything that is in XXXI will make its way out through normal channels, though not necessarily together in this format. The Mycretian class will likely not be included in the final published version of Tell Qa; with the expansions I have planned for it, there's simply no room. The 20 encounters will remain (and will be expanded with more such encounters in the final Tell Qa product). The other bits will reappear, eventually, in their different products.

James are you going to be accepting Credit cards at the con, or should I bring a wad of cash?  Due to my offer I've now got a list of fellows who want the XXXI product, and I don't want to blow all my cash in one booth! I'll be the guy picking up around 6-7 copies it looks like.... :D

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:49 pm 

Badmike wrote:
James are you going to be accepting Credit cards at the con, or should I bring a wad of cash?  Due to my offer I've now got a list of fellows who want the XXXI product, and I don't want to blow all my cash in one booth! I'll be the guy picking up around 6-7 copies it looks like.... :D

Mike B.

I dunno, it will be sold through Troll Lords, as I do not have a booth of my own. I don't *think* they accepted CCs last year, but I do not recall.

I'll drop them a line and see what their plans are...

EDIT: Just confirmed with Steve that yes, they will be taking credit cards, everything but Diners and Discover, or so he said (even AmEx, apparently).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:49 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:
I dunno, it will be sold through Troll Lords, as I do not have a booth of my own. I don't *think* they accepted CCs last year, but I do not recall.

I'll drop them a line and see what their plans are...

EDIT: Just confirmed with Steve that yes, they will be taking credit cards, everything but Diners and Discover, or so he said (even AmEx, apparently).

Great!  Nice to know more merchants are accepting the plastic...makes it so much easier to go in debt at these things!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:11 am 

Och, I know about that. Last time I was at GenCon (only time, actually) was a couple years back and WEG had a sale on all their TORG items (I just had to buy one of everything they had which made it even cheaper, but not free... meanies,) and some other people were unloading stuff, and I just had to go to the auction and see what was in all those boxes (stuff that didn't sell, or wasn't going to the announced stuff pile) and found lots of neat (to me) stuff... spent way more than I had, too. Damnit. Of course, I didn't go with a lot to spend, either, and 95% went to the Wilderlands box set just released by NG so it was mostly my poor broke self's fault.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:05 am 

A small preview from XXXI is now up on my gameblog...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:49 pm 

And XXXI is now off to the printers! Woohoo!

After Gen Con, I'll be taking a break from the Wilderlands and castles & Crusades to finish up a long-delayed project for Lejendary Adventure. But after that, back on track with Adventure Games Publishing.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:51 pm 

Are you going to number the copies? :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:10 pm 

serleran wrote:Are you going to number the copies? :)

I had originally planned on doing so, and planned on signing every one along with Bob, but then, there are those who do not like any sort of additional writing on a collectible, so I've decided against numbering them or pre-signing them. Plus that's a lot of hand writing, and I plan on rolling a lot of dice at this show...

Unfortunately, Bob won't be able to attend this year, so getting his signature will not be possible (well, until next year, hopefully, and if I have the money he'll be my guest at the Winter Dark II in Lake Geneva this fall and LGGC next year). I'll be at the TLG booth (#515) selling C&C and other stuff, so if anyone wants their copy signed, I'd be happy to (if you are having someone pick it up, be sure to mention to them that you want it signed).

There will be 310 copies exactly, no more, no less.

The MSRP on the product is $10 (makes it easy to calculate sales tax).

PreviousNext