Imperial Town of Tell Qa
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:37 pm 

I got the Imperial Town of Tell Qa at the Free RPG Day festivities.

It bodes well for future publications by AGP...and would seem to rate a scan and description in the JG subweb.

This is the kind of game supplement that a GM looks for.  Particularly nice is the town map included in the center of the publication.  This format allows a GM to actually use a town map, rather than just look at it on page 237.  

Seldom have 16 pages of text, map, explanation and legal stuff been so well put to use.

Good job, James!  I could use 16 more just like it.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Last edited by FormCritic on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:43 am 

FormCritic wrote:I got the Imperial Town of Tell Qa at the Free RPG Day festivities.

It bodes well for future publications by AGP...and would seem to rate a scan and description in the JG subweb.

This is the kind of game supplement that a GM looks for.  Particularly nice is the town map included in the center of the publication.  This format allows a GM to actually use a town map, rather than just look at it on page 237.  

Seldom have 16 pages of text, map, explanation and legal stuff been so well put to use.

Good job, Steve!  I could use 16 more just like it.

Mark  8)

James Mishler wrote it, not Steve.
And yeah I plan on adding it to the site, how could I not :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:42 pm 

Thanks Mark! Glad you liked it!

I tried to make the map as useful as possible, while also making sure it looked good... like the classic CSIO map of old.

By all means, let me know if you have any questions or other feedback for this product.

I've got further plans for Tell Qa, yet. I will have a special, limited-edition product, tentatively titled "XXXI", for Gen Con. This will include:

1) Tell Qa, as found in the Free RPG Edition, edited a bit and maybe expanded slightly... essentially the same but with art;

2) An general encounter chart tailored for Tell Qa, to supplement the street encounters; maybe (if room permits), a street peddler chart, complete with wares and prices.

3) The Mycretian class for Castles & Crusades, along with some history of the Mycretians in the Wilderlands of High Adventure, info on their One God, Mycr, their holy texts, goals, and so forth;

4) Maybe a few more bits, if space permits.

It will be 32 or 36 pages long. I was originally going to have a full-color cover, but the time frame for that is too short, so that will have to wait...

"XXXI" will be limited to 310 copies. Why "XXXI" and only 310? Well, 2007 will be the 31st year since Judges Guild premiered at Gen Con with the City State of the Invincible Overlord, so I want to do something special.

There might be something else special at Gen Con, I don't wanna say yet because I'm not sure myself if I can get it done and printed in time...

Later, an unlimited, 56-page expanded version of Tell Qa will be available through retailers.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:31 pm 

Hi James,

I agree with Mark, I picked one up as well and really like it....:D

Good Job!  PDT_Armataz_01_37

Lance

A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:32 am 

Slowly reading this.. is great work, course now if you'll only keep writing  :wink:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:49 pm 

Mine was supposed to arrive yesterday, but it has not been seen yet. Very much looking forward to finally seeing it.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:23 pm 

jamesmishler wrote:Thanks Mark! Glad you liked it!

I tried to make the map as useful as possible, while also making sure it looked good... like the classic CSIO map of old.

By all means, let me know if you have any questions or other feedback for this product.

I've got further plans for Tell Qa, yet. I will have a special, limited-edition product, tentatively titled "XXXI", for Gen Con. This will include:

1) Tell Qa, as found in the Free RPG Edition, edited a bit and maybe expanded slightly... essentially the same but with art;

2) An general encounter chart tailored for Tell Qa, to supplement the street encounters; maybe (if room permits), a street peddler chart, complete with wares and prices.

3) The Mycretian class for Castles & Crusades, along with some history of the Mycretians in the Wilderlands of High Adventure, info on their One God, Mycr, their holy texts, goals, and so forth;

4) Maybe a few more bits, if space permits.

It will be 32 or 36 pages long. I was originally going to have a full-color cover, but the time frame for that is too short, so that will have to wait...

"XXXI" will be limited to 310 copies. Why "XXXI" and only 310? Well, 2007 will be the 31st year since Judges Guild premiered at Gen Con with the City State of the Invincible Overlord, so I want to do something special.

There might be something else special at Gen Con, I don't wanna say yet because I'm not sure myself if I can get it done and printed in time...

Later, an unlimited, 56-page expanded version of Tell Qa will be available through retailers.

I only had a quick look, but it looked good.  My retailer had a 1 item limit, so I went with 51.5 Whiterock instead, but Qa would have been my 2nd choice.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:43 pm 

What I like most about Tell Qa is its immediate usability.  If I want my gaming group to step through a gate and arrive in a town on another world...tonight...I can use Tell Qa.  This is particularly true because of the placement and style of the map...which lends itself to a quick (and legal fair use) photocopy.

Thus, I can draw on my map and not damage the publication...and my players can reference it without having to take the book from my hands.

A large, color map, made by a computer and glued into the book, would not benefit me.  It would be nearly impossible to copy and impossible to read if I did copy it.

I am looking forward to the XXXI project!

Mark  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:34 pm 

Gah! Dammit, Mark, thanks for reminding me!

I meant to include "Map may be photocopied for personal use" on the map.

Hmm... maybe I'll include a Player's Map of Tell Qa in XXXI. Would anyone mind, really, if the center 4-pages were able to be pulled out, say, with the center spread being the Judges Map, and on the opposite side the Player's Map, ready to be photocopied? Hmmm...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:14 pm 

I just assumed that the center spread was meant to be photocopied.  

How about a center spread players copy, like the one in the free version of Tell Qa, and a smaller, numbered map for the DM on one of the inside pages?  

If the DM has the players map for reference, he should be able to use the smaller map in his hand to keep track of what is where...so long as the smaller map is clear.

It costs, like, 17 cents at Kinkos to copy the 11x17 inside map...so long as it is in the center spread of the publication.  That would allow the players map to be kept in the booklet and leave more room (at least one extra page) for more text.

If the two maps were back to back I would have to temporarily remove the two from their staples and photocopy them...since replacing them on the staples is not that hard and I would not want to beat up my original.

So, I guess either way will work?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:56 am 

Hey, James:

Anything new to share about your Tell Qa project?

We who shall be far from GenCon are curious indeed.

Mark

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:39 am 

Mark,

It's in layout now, just wanting to make sure that everything fits before I spout off about what is in it... also, I want some surprises to be in there, too.

One of the things that always gets me down about conventions these days is there is no more surprise factor. Everyone hears everything about every product before they even get to the show... so I want to leave a little "wow" factor in there...

James

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:56 am 

This looks great, any idea how I can get a copy?

Otherworld Miniatures Webshop - http://www.otherworld.me.uk/store.html

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:25 pm 

Since my job decided I was not going to be able to take my planned trip to GenCon, I made arrangement with someone who is going to purchase a copy for me.  I of course offered to buy them a copy (or some other item) for their efforts.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:12 am 

otherworld wrote:This looks great, any idea how I can get a copy?

Well, eBay, of course.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:40 am 

Melan wrote:
Well, eBay, of course.

That price is for the "rubes"...any Acaeum member contact me privately if they are interested in the Free game day Tell Qa.  As for the other item available at Gencon, XXXI, I'm going to try to pick up what I can depending on the price....going by the free version, it's going to be a great product and I'm going to pick up at least a couple for my own use.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:14 am 

Badmike wrote:
That price is for the "rubes"...any Acaeum member contact me privately if they are interested in the Free game day Tell Qa.  As for the other item available at Gencon, XXXI, I'm going to try to pick up what I can depending on the price....going by the free version, it's going to be a great product and I'm going to pick up at least a couple for my own use.

Mike B.

i actually wouldnt mind one mike, but would also like the full/real deal too.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:18 pm 

Mike, have you actually sold any at that price?

Next