Citadel of Fire d20
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:56 pm 

Should be off to the printers soon and it is also available for preorder on Amazon tho' I suspect the actual release date will be sometime mid to late May as opposed to what Amazon has listed on their web site.

Citadel of Fire (Judges Guild): Steve Stottrup, Steve Edwards: 9780979006562: Amazon.com: Books

Not exactly sure when the preview will be posted on Goodman Games web site ... so it wouldn't hurt to check there from time to time.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:55 am 

Where is the citadel located on the Wilderlands' maps?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:21 pm 

128 pages??!! wow thats like a whole new adventure :)

Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm 

Where is the citadel located on the Wilderlands' maps?

Elphand Lands (Necro/JG Map 1/Old JG Map 9) centered around Hex 1411 - Village of Aztlan area.

128 pages??!! wow thats like a whole new adventure

Close to half of the material is new in one form or another ... just keep an eye out for the preview which should show up on Goodman Games' website shortly.

Depending upon how things go ... there are at least two other adventures based in the Elphand Lands which could potentially be updated.  Pegasus #8 installment _Terror In The North_ and _Prey of Darkness_ come to mind.

In the end it is all a matter of what the fans want as to what will be updated next, be it located in the Elphand Lands or elsewhere within the Wilderlands.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:55 am 

Looks like the official announcement is up on Goodman's web site ...

http://goodmangames.com/4601preview.php

... with an anticipated release date of May.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:51 pm 

this is a bit emotional ... citadel of fire was the first module i ever dm'ed and one of the first i ever played.

:cry:

sad or what?

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:22 am 

this is a bit emotional ...

Don't feel sad ... all the goodness of the original module remains ... plus a whole bunch of new nasties have been added in just for fun ...  :twisted:

As one of the two authors working on the updated version I tried to ensure that all the updates I made were done within the spirit of the original module.  Likewise, the other author I was working with kept all of his contributions within the spirit of the original.  The only part that proved to be a challenge was completing the proof reading and final editing as the extra set of eyes that was supposed to help didn't do such a good job.

In the end ... praise be to Grimmy for everything working out.

Last edited by WereSteve on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:11 pm 

Why not be emotional?  

Gaming was/is a part of the deep friendships and intense childhood experiences that a lot of us look back on with considerable emotion.

What would be bad is if you had no emotional attachments to Citadel of Fire.  :cry:

I get a game rush when I hold First Fantasy Campaign.  It is a wonderful artifact of the early days of RPG's...like having an old copy of the Book of Kells or something like that.  

I have little understanding of the concept, "still in shrinkwrap."  Aside from a store, who owned one of these without ever looking at it?   8O

Also...I have collected so many Judges Guild items not because I used them back then but because I could not get them back in the day.  Now, I horde them like a gamer geek dragon.   :D

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:12 pm 

FormCritic wrote:gamer geek dragon.   :D

Mark   8)

Frank needs to do a write up of that.

Course I'd not recommend sleeping on your horde, especially if you drool or move around a lot in your sleep. :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:36 pm 

Perhaps my point of view is a tad different as I tend to take Bob Bledsaw's suggestions to heart as far as taking a module and making it one's own.  I do not collect for the sake of hoarding every single variation of the original releases, but rather for the sake of enjoying the material and being able to spring it upon unsuspecting players who were never exposed to the original material the first time around.

If the new version of Citadel of Fire does not live up to everybody's expectations then that is to be expected as not everybody's tastes are the same; otherwise it would be a pretty boring world.  My only hope is that the updated version will prove to be a worthy successor to the original and perhaps provide additional hours of fun and enjoyment for both Judges as well as players.

Just remember ... if any of the new releases, be it produced by Necromancer, Goodman Games, or AGP does not live up to your expectations based on your own personal experiences with the original Wilderlands of High Fantasy, then nobody is forcing you to buy any of the new releases.  By the same accord, if the sales figures for any of the new releases fail to meet the expectations of those working on the new releases, then in all likelihood there will be no additional new releases after the work is finished on what is already in the pipeline.  That is, primarily, why there will be no additional Judges Guild releases from Necromancer Games once Tegel Manor has been completed.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:19 am 

The two Steve's version of Citadel of Fire is a worthy successor. While I did run the original Citadel of Fire differently, the new version has a lot of goodies in it. You have the Citadel of Fire, along with a small necropolis and a detailed village of bad guys with some of the buildings detailed. Plus an interesting meta-plot that ties everything together.

The meta-plot incorporates idea that the Citadel has a lineage of Wizards and expands on it. In this regard it is pretty much like my own Thieves of Badabaskor.

Rob Conley

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:34 pm 

I'm all for the mix it up & make it your own

I've incorporated different versions of the citadel into about 6 or 7 campaigns. The latest was a First Age MERP/RM campaign set in Himlad in Beleriand.

Worked a treat. In this last incarnation as the PCs ravaged tower Yrammag's last act as he fled (back to Angband) was to reverse the demonic summonings that built the tower.

The look on the players' faces as the tower slowly dismantled in front of them was priceless. 8)

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:56 pm 

For what it is worth, the preview is up on the Goodman Games website.

http://www.goodmangames.com/downloads/previews/COF-Preview.pdf

Should all go well the module will be in stores next week.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 am 

Just ordered my copy and I am looking forward to a good read.  I have no idea how long it will be before my group of players is high enough level to take it on.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:08 am 

You don't necessarily have to have them be of high enough level to be in the area as the village of Aztlan itself for the most part is not that high a level.  Also, the Wilderlands installment from Pegasus #8, _Terror in the North_, and the old module _Prey of Darkness_ are in the same general area as _Citadel of Fire_, so you could use these to help the characters advance a few levels before taking on the the bulk of the adventure.

YIM