Seeking info on Character Codex
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:53 pm 

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd wander on over and ask a question of our resident sage(s):

Some time ago, I bought a Judges Guild Character Codex from my semi-local gaming shop; it was part of a used RPG lot that the owner bought.

I was wondering how many character sheets were supposed to have come in this, as well as any idea of printing info, rarity, possible value, etc.?

I can supply scans, etc. as needed.

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

P.S.:  I noticed that the backs of these sheets had price lists from the TSR AD&D Player's Handbook on them -- surely a copyright no-no, even in those days???

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:39 pm 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd wander on over and ask a question of our resident sage(s):

Some time ago, I bought a Judges Guild Character Codex from my semi-local gaming shop; it was part of a used RPG lot that the owner bought.

I was wondering how many character sheets were supposed to have come in this, as well as any idea of printing info, rarity, possible value, etc.?

I can supply scans, etc. as needed.

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

P.S.:  I noticed that the backs of these sheets had price lists from the TSR AD&D Player's Handbook on them -- surely a copyright no-no, even in those days???

*cough* There is a site to check on this info :wink:

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0087.html

They don't pop up that often, and as for worth I'd say $30-40+ (I've spent way more on the '3rd' in SW, but you can't really count those auctions...) :)

I love the pics Jaquays did for the classes in this.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:08 pm 

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the prompt reply!   :D

I didn't realize that The Acaeum had a section for Judges Guild items like they do for the 1st/2nd Edition TSR AD&D modules, etc.

I'll have to go through this and see what my Codex contains.

Does anyone know how many different illustrations were done for the various character classes?  Or was it one illustration per class/subclass?

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:12 pm 

Wandering Monster wrote:Hi Shane,

Thanks for the prompt reply!   :D

I didn't realize that The Acaeum had a section for Judges Guild items like they do for the 1st/2nd Edition TSR AD&D modules, etc.

I'll have to go through this and see what my Codex contains.

Does anyone know how many different illustrations were done for the various character classes?  Or was it one illustration per class/subclass?

Cheers,
JohnH
aka Wandering Monster

Don't know the number of different illustrations, but they do repeat in the book (so its not a different pic on each of the rogues sheets)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:57 pm 

In my opinion the Character Codex is one of the rare items.  I don't even remember seeing them in my FLGS when they were in print years ago.  I have been searching eBay for a couple of years and have never seen one come for auction.  I have a fairly complete collection of JG material and this is the one item that is sorely missing.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:00 pm 

leadjunkie wrote:In my opinion the Character Codex is one of the rare items.  I don't even remember seeing them in my FLGS when they were in print years ago.

Can honestly say I don't recall seeing a copy "back in the day". But then, my budget didn't often stretch to paying for character sheets.

leadjunkie wrote:I have been searching eBay for a couple of years and have never seen one come for auction.

They do exist; e.g.  
** expired eBay auction **
(plus one other since then?) and even slip through the net from time-to-time (gave a nudge of an earlier US-only auction copy that went for something like $8-9, IIRC).

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:43 am 

i would class them as rare. what david paid, would be roughly what i would be prepared to pay as i don't have one, so $30-40 would prb be a good guide, though if there are a number of folks looking for it, that could stretch while the demand is there.

Al

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:33 pm 

i'd stretch a bit for sure ....

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:06 pm 

I picked up one of these in the last year or so.  I got it pretty cheap IIRC, perhaps on a BIN. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:16 pm 

The day after I made the post regarding not finding any on eBay, a copy popped up in an eBay store.  It is the last printing with a loose cover, but otherwise complete.  I snatched it up with "by it now" for $5.98.  Happy to have it just so I can see what the sheets looked like.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:15 am 

leadjunkie wrote:The day after I made the post regarding not finding any on eBay, a copy popped up in an eBay store.  It is the last printing with a loose cover, but otherwise complete.  I snatched it up with "by it now" for $5.98.  Happy to have it just so I can see what the sheets looked like.

well done :)

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:23 pm 

I picked up three of them over the years.  Last one on eBay for $8.50 in 2001.