Judges Guild State of the Union..er..Website
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:04 pm 

1 Year, 1 Month, 3 Weeks and counting…Updates have slowed, but I've been focused on other things. Anyway I hope to finish off some of the list I've made in the past, but I ask you nation, um, members of this fine forum, is there a preference as to what you want to see updated first:

Employee/Staff breakdown -- Be it product writer, editor, artist or magazine contributor, this list shall have it. Hope here is not only the actual information, but should it lead one of the actual people to the site then hopefully they can provide more information as to their contribution.

Group One Product pages -- Have to check but I believe I'm still missing somethings for this, but basically get this information up on the site.

Mayfair Product pages -- Wondered if the other products in this series should get the treatment like the rest of the site (Tell me if you think this should be done or just leave what I got as is)

Product Reviews (both from magazines and people willing to contribute) -- Have some scans from various magazines, nothing really from anyone though. Plus not sure how to display these (if reviews should include a ranking for various factors or not)

Judges Guild Ads -- Have those from Dragon, White Dwarf and some various others as I've started here: http://www.acaeum.com/jg/JudgesGuildAds.html

Unofficial Time Line -- Listing of what came out and when as best as I can figure with what I have gathered. You can imagine this is an undertaking, but I've got some pretty good dates for various products and printings. (# does not often represent the printing order/release order)

Estimated Values -- This depends greatly on others if they want it or not

Other -- Have ideas, will listen

Thanks,
ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:11 pm 

Hi There!

A lot of this JG stuff is unknown to me for the most part, but I'm interested, and probably will be picking up some items this year.

As such an rough unofficial timeline would be the most helpful to people like me to put the various publications in context.  Second to that would be reviews as to what is really good content wise, and what is not so good.

I'd say try to delay a price guide for a bit.  Right now prices are low enough that people can browse around on Ebay and buy what looks interesting to them.  i.e. they can buy for actual want of the material, and not because of perceived value, rarity, or speculation.  Seems to still be a bit of an innocent time for buying JG ...would publishing a price guide ruin that?

Lastly as you know there as been some JG stuff republished under Necromancer, and now Goodman Games looks like they will be taking up that torch.  It would be useful to have them mentioned somewhere in the context of the original material.  For example I understand that the contents of the newer boxed set is actually several products from the original line.  It would be really valuable for people to know what those are so they can go out and buy them.  Conversely people who have the original material might be interested in what the new material is all about compared to what they have.  It would be informative to both old and newcomers to JG.

Anyways, I don't post much here, but I do read the site.  Looking forward to finally buying some original JG with the information you have kindly and laboriously provided.

Cheers!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:11 pm 

I'd like to start by saying you have done one hell of a good job!

That being said, of the items listed, I would like to see the following:

1. Estimated Values - Will probably lead to increased prices though...
2. Unofficial Time Line - Nice to know
3. Mayfair Product Pages

Perhaps adding rarity too?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:23 pm 

islestrike wrote:Lastly as you know there as been some JG stuff republished under Necromancer, and now Goodman Games looks like they will be taking up that torch.  It would be useful to have them mentioned somewhere in the context of the original material.  For example I understand that the contents of the newer boxed set is actually several products from the original line.  It would be really valuable for people to know what those are so they can go out and buy them.  Conversely people who have the original material might be interested in what the new material is all about compared to what they have.  It would be informative to both old and newcomers to JG.

Cheers!

Can do this, as I've got them all listed here: http://www.acaeum.com/jg/JudgesGuildOtherCompanies.html but not linked one way or the other it seems (so an easy fix) ((Edit: yeah I thought this was an easy fix... 8O ))

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:30 pm 

dbartman wrote:
Perhaps adding rarity too?

Well I hope Al still is working on this, otherwise I'd need help here as I look less and less for general Judges Guild stuff (so I don't know what printings are not appearing as often as others.)

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:39 am 

islestrike wrote:
Lastly as you know there as been some JG stuff republished under Necromancer, and now Goodman Games looks like they will be taking up that torch.  It would be useful to have them mentioned somewhere in the context of the original material.  For example I understand that the contents of the newer boxed set is actually several products from the original line.  It would be really valuable for people to know what those are so they can go out and buy them.  Conversely people who have the original material might be interested in what the new material is all about compared to what they have.  It would be informative to both old and newcomers to JG.

Done :D

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:58 am 

Well I'm working on the unofficial time line. This thing is a bloody beast that I'm trying to break up with the various things I got going for me.

If anyone has unusual fanzines, rare magazines, or catalogs that list or review a Judges Guild product I'd appreciate a scan or pic. Barring that any specific date on the zine/catalog and the product mentioned would be good.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:25 pm 

Plaag wrote:If anyone has unusual fanzines, rare magazines, or catalogs that list or review a Judges Guild product I'd appreciate a scan or pic. Barring that any specific date on the zine/catalog and the product mentioned would be good.

While I don't have any scans handy, White Dwarf Magazine #2 has a four or five page review of several early Judges Guild items.  I also believe some of the later publications have ads for Judges Guild product.

Steve

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:44 pm 

Shane:

I couldn't find a ready link to a Mayfair Games section on the subweb?

Am I missing something?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:39 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Shane:

I couldn't find a ready link to a Mayfair Games section on the subweb?

Am I missing something?

Its in 'Other' (Not all scanned in and put up yet, but I have it all for the CSIO)

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/JudgesGuildOtherCompanies.html

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:29 pm 

Hi Shane.

You're doing a fantastic job. You ask our opinion on what to focus on next and I think Estimated Values is important. This is a fundamental aspect of collecting. I realise this is a big task and the best way to do it is to monitor procies on Ebay over time. Perhaps you could get a group together with each person watching a few different products.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:32 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Hi Shane.

You're doing a fantastic job. You ask our opinion on what to focus on next and I think Estimated Values is important. This is a fundamental aspect of collecting. I realise this is a big task and the best way to do it is to monitor procies on Ebay over time. Perhaps you could get a group together with each person watching a few different products.

i am on this herm

its just taking a long time to go through what info i DO have.

around doing 24 mile walks up massive hills that is :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:47 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Its in 'Other' (Not all scanned in and put up yet, but I have it all for the CSIO)

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/JudgesGuildOtherCompanies.html

ShaneG.

One thing I don't see here, Shane.....

I don't see a copy of Gary Gygax's letter of introduction for this item.  It has been advertised, but my copy does not have it and I have not seen it.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:27 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
One thing I don't see here, Shane.....

I don't see a copy of Gary Gygax's letter of introduction for this item.  It has been advertised, but my copy does not have it and I have not seen it.

http://www.acaeum.com/jg/ModPhotos/Mayf ... phlet.html

That is where it is found.

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:14 pm 

ShaneG,

I've got a suggestion for the Dungeoneer's 1-6.  If you could insert a slight gap and line between Dungeoneer 1, 2, 3 etc. it would more clearly differentiate them.  Similar to what you have done with the items, but without boxing the content.

Regards,

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:11 am 

dbartman wrote:ShaneG,

I've got a suggestion for the Dungeoneer's 1-6.  If you could insert a slight gap and line between Dungeoneer 1, 2, 3 etc. it would more clearly differentiate them.  Similar to what you have done with the items, but without boxing the content.

Regards,

Done

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:19 pm 

udges Guild Ads -- Have those from Dragon, White Dwarf and some various others

Ok ... do you want a copy of one of the ads from White Dwarf???

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:26 am 

WereSteve wrote:udges Guild Ads -- Have those from Dragon, White Dwarf and some various others

Ok ... do you want a copy of one of the ads from White Dwarf???

If it is in magazine 91+ yeah, otherwise I have it from the earlier ones

ShaneG.

Next