Is New Boxed Set of Wilderlands Worth Buying ?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:07 am 

Greetings,

I'm new to this forum.

I have all of the original JG Wilderlands books/maps and I run a modified "original" D&D . . . not 3.5 d20 version.

Is that new Boxed Set worth buying for someone in my position?  (note -- a lot of my maps are getting pretty fragile at the creases).

-- Jeff

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:49 am 

Bluebear wrote:Greetings,

I'm new to this forum.

I have all of the original JG Wilderlands books/maps and I run a modified "original" D&D . . . not 3.5 d20 version.

Is that new Boxed Set worth buying for someone in my position?  (note -- a lot of my maps are getting pretty fragile at the creases).

-- Jeff

First here's the contents of the box set:
http://www.acaeum.com/jg/OC-Necromancer ... ntasy.html

The maps use the gray scale and are two sided, but I wouldn't buy this for the maps. The almost 450 pages is almost all fluff, very little d20 content and what is there can be ignored or converted to original D&D. This box set expands a lot of information found in the original Wilderlands supplements. So if you want ideas that fit in with the setting then the box set is good, if you want only the maps, well you can probably slowly acquire what you need from other sources.

Here is some product support for the Box Set, Pegasus adventures, Wilderness density maps, etc: http://www.necromancergames.com/prod_support.html#wlb

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:06 am 

I'd agree - the content is pretty good.  What little d20 content that there is can certainly easily be ported over to earlier editions (not least because lots of it looks like it was ported straight over from earlier editions to d20, sometimes not very well, lol).

The maps in the new boxed set are very flimsy and not worth your trouble.  I seem to recall that you can buy them individually as pdfs from Drivethrurpg, so that's an option if you absolutely have to replace your old maps.  Probably better hunting for old replacements, though, as they're much cooler.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:21 am 

The DriveThruRPG maps are nice . . . but they are only the GM maps . . . not the (mostly blank) Player Maps (which would be more useful to give to my players).

What do others think of the new boxed set?  I can get it from Amazon for about $45 . . . is it worth it given my criteria from the first post?

-- Jeff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:34 pm 

Well as one of the authors I am somewhat biased ;-)

The D20 Stuff is pretty minimal and easily converted over to any edition of D&D. Heck my own game is run using GURPS and i find what the other authors did useful. We all did different maps, I was responsible for Map 5, 8, and the northern half of 11. Basically the central portion of the setting.

If you get the boxed set you will find that it allows you have a more free flowing campaign where the players can set the direction in which they go. Certainly you can nudge them into the areas that you have prepared but if they decide to go elsewhere you are not staring at a blank hex.

The overall meta story of the boxed set is minimal. It there but you can change details without worrying about major impact on what was written in the individual hexes. In this regards it is like a fantasy version of Traveller's Spinward Marches. You got the Imperium, the Zhodani, Sword Worlds a bunch of worlds with stats. But no two Traveller GM spinward marches have exactly the same Imperium, Zhodani, etc.

When I prepare I have a primary plot that I trying to present but with the boxed set I look for two or so more little things that I can be prepared for. Then start with the current hex where we left off and just look around and see what there making a list summarizes that.

I take this list and make a rumor list, maybe if they are in a village I will draw up a "bulliten board" or town cryer sheet with rumors. The shear number of detail in the Boxed set allows me to make this list easily. For the player it helps them make the world more real as they get a sense there is more going on then them.

Those of us who bought the original Wilderlands all started from the same base but developed very divergent games. The flexibility of the orginal Wilderlands allowed this and that flexibility is preserved in the current boxed set.

Some DMs Wilderlands are more adventure oriented. Mine is more political and culture oriented as result of my end games. My players carving out some section of the Wilderlands to call their own.

Rob Conley
http://home.earthlink.net/~wilderlands

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:09 am 

Well unfortunately I was never exposed to the original JG material back when I was little.  I just don't ever recall seeing it except in Dragon ads.

But I have bought all the Necromancer stuff, and the Wilderlands set is just a fantastic set as far as setting goes!  Compared to what else was available for 3rd Ed. at the time I've always been at a loss as to why it didn't sell like proverbial hotcakes.  Anyways that's just my tastes ...just go ahead and buy the damn thing and don't worry so much.   :wink:

robertsconley - How's Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor coming along? Isn't it suppose to be out soon?  Another JG product I've never been exposed to but looking forward to getting when it arrives.  Who is the interior artist BTW?

Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:07 am 

islestrike wrote:How's Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor coming along? Isn't it suppose to be out soon?  Another JG product I've never been exposed to but looking forward to getting when it arrives.  Who is the interior artist BTW?
Cheers!

It at the printers as far as I know. I just submitted some proposals for a PDF preview after Goodman requested it. So my guess it is real soon now being anywhere between 1 to 3 weeks. Right now I am helping Eostros/Goodman with other Judges Guild products.

The interior artist for Badabaskor is William McAusland, and the Cover Artist is Stephen Poag.

Enjoy
Rob Conley