Sea-Steeds and Wave Riders
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:15 pm 

I have a Sea-Steeds and Wave Riders booklet, white cover, so I think that makes it the first printing.  I also have the 2 sheets of hexmaps with the many boat diagrams.  One of the hexmaps has had three of the smaller boat diagrams neatly cut for use and I have all the pieces.  Other than the cut hexmap, all is in super condition, except for a tiny bit of rust on the staples.  It does live in Florida, after all!  Two questions - Did these hex maps come with the first printing or did the original owner acquire them separately? and What might the value be given the cut hexmap?  Thanks for your help!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:03 am 

i have sealed 2nd prints and they all have the boat-maps in them. all the 1st prints i have ever had (from various sources) never have, but shane thinks that they did.

#69 flotilla one is basically the boat maps for sea steeds #66.

i think the 1st print (white book) didnt have them, so they released #69, so ppl could have them, then they released the 2nd print (light blue book) which had the maps with them.

i have always thought that, but the judges guild dynamo that is shane (:D) will put us straight when he reads this.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:06 am 

oh yes...value

you can still pick up sea steeds reasonably often, with or without the boat hex-maps.

the 2nd print imo is rarer than the 1st.

however its more attractive with uncut boat-maps than it is with cut ones, but i have sold one before. its still a good item to have, but they dont really ever sell for that much, maybe $5-10, though with cut maps, you can never tell. if they are incomplete, you will need to advise and i imagine most ppl wouldnt go for it, unless they REALLY wanted it.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:34 am 

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.  It's amazing that any question I ask on this forum gets answered within hours.  I wish there was a forum where I could ask the bigger questions of the Universe and get such prompt (and informative) replies!  But I guess that answer's always 42, no?

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:33 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.  It's amazing that any question I ask on this forum gets answered within hours.  I wish there was a forum where I could ask the bigger questions of the Universe and get such prompt (and informative) replies!  But I guess that answer's always 42, no?

nope..6 :wink:

As for Sea Steeds and Wave Riders, currently I have the 1st as without the maps..but I have a pic of a SWed copy with it, course the image is not clear if original Judges Guild SW or it was reshrunk. Also I believe I have an email from someone stating maps came with it..shall have to dig that out IIRC (course I flip flopped on Wraith Overlord before till I found out the correct way it should be and now as I have it)

For SSWR the product list is just photos with the highest number being 61 (Island Book I) right? (Don't suspect a printing inbetween what is known, but heck just have to see)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:41 pm 

6, huh?  My view of the universe just veered sharply.  And yes, the highest number in the product list is 61.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:41 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0049526606

One of these is up for auction from Fencert.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:35 am 

Plaag wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

One of these is up for auction from Fencert.

ShaneG.

it doesnt have the boat maps

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:58 am 

Not a hotbed of activity, but I guess it's early days yet.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:46 am 

killjoy32 wrote:[A]ll the 1st prints i have ever had (from various sources) never have, but shane thinks that they did.

I wrote to Shane earlier this year and sent him some scans at that time.  We discussed the 1st print that I have that includes maps.  I can not say with absolute certainty that the maps came with the first print, but I have no recollection buying them sepately and I am the original owner of my 1st print Sea Steeds and Wave Riders.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:58 am 

I have no information regarding "collectability" . . . I just always liked the item (I've got a 2nd edition).

-- Jeff

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:44 pm 

Ok, one more question about this module... are both maps identical?  The two I have seem to be the same, but that seems odd to me.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:14 pm 

well the thing is, i genuinely dont know whether the 1st had maps or not. i must have purchased it from about a dozen different sources in the UK and US and none have ever had maps.

i just wonder, as before, why they would even bother bringing out #69 if the #66 1st had maps? would seem somewhat pointless to me.

:)

anyway i will leave this one in shane's more than capable hands.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:33 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:Ok, one more question about this module... are both maps identical?  The two I have seem to be the same, but that seems odd to me.

Yep, and you have to remember that back then people wrote on the maps, generally abused them, so why not two :)

killjoy32 wrote:well the thing is, i genuinely dont know whether the 1st had maps or not. i must have purchased it from about a dozen different sources in the UK and US and none have ever had maps.

i just wonder, as before, why they would even bother bringing out #69 if the #66 1st had maps? would seem somewhat pointless to me.

:)

anyway i will leave this one in shane's more than capable hands.

Al

I've gone with you on this in the past, but you know I just made a point against it above :?
I've seen sold a 1st in SW with the maps (saved that pic too), and well maybe it was included...since other maps are sold separately. Discounting maps with the coversheet being apart of it..#530 is the earliest numbered product (maybe not in the print history side of things atm, but when I know that ..well you'll know :) ) that has maps that are not sold separately.
Maybe James can ask Mr. Bledsaw about this..I've not had any communication via email for some time.

ShaneG.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:11 pm 

My apologies for awaking a dead thread.

I just bought a shrinkwrapped copy of Sea-Steeds and Wave Riders that includes a 1st printing booklet and the two maps.  The shrink on it looks identical to the other shrinked JG items I have (kind of crinkly and a little bigger than necessary).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:23 pm 

We Judges Guild collectors LOVE dead threads.

Did you get the booklet, or did you get Flotilla One?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:26 pm 

It's the the booklet (no. 66) bundled with the two maps in shrink wrap.  After I got it, I looked it up and noticed that the description says that the 1st print booklet did not include the maps.  Then, I found this thread and saw where Plaag mentioned having seen a photo of a set like this before.

Here's the auction where I bought it.  I presume that the seller, JasonZavoda, is the JZavoda from this forum.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:41 pm 

Nice Hantlers wrote:It's the the booklet (no. 66) bundled with the two maps in shrink wrap.  After I got it, I looked it up and noticed that the description says that the 1st print booklet did not include the maps.  Then, I found this thread and saw where Plaag mentioned having seen a photo of a set like this before.

Here's the auction where I bought it.  I presume that the seller, JasonZavoda, is the JZavoda from this forum.

$10 with free delivery is a pretty good price for that set.

I originally bought Flotilla One (decades ago) and was puzzled mightily that what I found inside was only ship plans.

It was decades later that I learned about Sea Steeds and Wave Riders.

I'd say you did pretty well.  My suspicion is that you have a first print Sea Steeds and Wave Riders with Flotilla One attached as a later marketing choice.  Judges Guild would mix and match all the time...and Sea Steeds and Wave Riders without the ship plans couldn't have been a big seller.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Next