Shops carring Judges Guild products as of May 1977
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:18 am 

(This is from the Shop/Booty list: http://www.acaeum.com/jg/ModPhotos/Inst ... Sheet.html )

Following is a list of stores and mail order establishments carrying Judges Guild Play Aids (as of this moment- 5/5/77). However, please note that they only carry the following- #2 Tac Cards, #10 Guide to the City State, #12 City State Play Aid, #14 Ready Ref Sheets Package, #27 Tegel Manor and #28 Judges Shield. We only sell the most complete parts of our line to retail stores and are presently adding to the Campaign Installment, for example, to make it a more complete package in to itself. Please patronize these heroic merchants and if you don't see your favorite shop here. why not let them know about us?
(MO- Mail Order)

Balboa Game Company (MO)
630 W. Willow
Long Beach, CA 90806

Articles of War
793 Potomac Ave.
Buffalo, NY 14209

The Dungeon
723 Williams
Lake Geneva, WI 53147

Midwest Games A Hobbles (MO)
RR2 1142 S. 96th Ave.
Zealand, MI 49464

Legionairre
1489 Kapiolani Blvd.
Honolulu, Hawaii 96814

Compleat Strategist*
11 E. 33rd St.
New York, NY 10016

Royal Hobby Shop
3806 C. State St.
Rockford, I1. 61107

Walt's Hobby Shop
23940 Michigan
Dearborn, MI 48124

Heritage Models (MO)**
9840 Monroe Dr. Bldg. 106
Dallas, TX 75220       

The Command Post
4690 Convoy Street
San Diego. CA 92111

Griffon Bookstore
121A So. Michigan
South Bend, Ind 46601

Hobbymodels
418 Fulton St.
Peoria, IL 61602

Gambit Game Store***
685 Market St.
San Francisco, CA

Boardman Hobby Center
6820 Market St.
Youngstown, OH 44512

Lyles Hobby & Craft Center
38 North Cass Ave.
Westmont, Il.

Lou Zocchi & Associates (MO)
7604 Newton Cr.
Bilozi, MS 39532

Fairchild Camera
510 So. Neil St.
Champaign, IL. 61820

Judges Guild
304 S. Franklin POB 773       
Decatur, IL 62525

*Also, a store in Philadelphia
**Retail store located in European Crossroads (in Dallas)
***Also, a store in Berkeley

(So anyone know if these still exist?)

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:42 am 

You can search engine these pretty easily if you want to know.

I tried the IL ones out of curiosity.

Royal moved slightly, which is typical
Royal Hobby Shop
3920 E State St
Rockford, IL 61108

(815) 399-1771

Hobbymodels drew a blank
Lyle's empty
no Fairchild (and that type of place wouldn't still carry RPGs anymore, anyway)

Oddly JG also came up with nothing.  However, on their website, their Press Releases are still headed as Decatur
Necromancer Games, Inc.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Judges Guild and Necromancer Games to Publish Tegel Manor D20

September 3, 2004 (DECATUR, IL): Judges Guild, developers of the classic Wilderlands of High Fantasyâ„¢ and City State of the Invincible

Never visited any of them personally.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:59 pm 

Cool..
As for Judges Guild..I believe its now done outside of his house (no shop)..

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:37 pm 

Yeah, Bob works out of his house... er, well, I guess lately he hasn't worked much, but that's besides the point, really... :(

When I went down to visit him the first time, we drove around Decatur and he showed me the old JG office... it was originally a school building. Today? It's a church! It'd be funny to find out what they thought of the business that had been there once upon a time... :)

James

James Mishler
James Mishler Games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:04 am 

In my D&D movie, players time travel back to the original JG offices...and then arrive back in the present in a church.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:49 am 

Plaag wrote:Heritage Models (MO)**
9840 Monroe Dr. Bldg. 106
Dallas, TX 75220

**Retail store located in European Crossroads (in Dallas)

(So anyone know if these still exist?)

I started role playing and miniature gaming at the Royal Guardsman (the name of Heritage Models retail store) in 1977 as a teen.  I acquired my first JG material there.  My best friend (now a notable author) introduced me to both D&D and the Royal Guardsman.  He was a JG subscriber.  He gave me all of his installments years later.  Too bad they were not in original mailing envelopes.   Several years later, in my early twenties, I briefly worked at Heritage Models running the mail order.  Brief, because it went out of business.  It had been acquired by the famous "Uncle" Duke Seifried.  A failing business was run into the ground within a few months.  Many of us took (literally) our final pay in merchandise.  The retail shop was the last to go when the staff opened their own store known as the Armadillo Soldier Shop (now also defunct).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:11 am 

leadjunkie wrote:The retail shop was the last to go when the staff opened their own store known as the Armadillo Soldier Shop (now also defunct).

Drifitng off-topic,  since the JG forum isn't the place to discuss this . . .

Do you have any catalogs, flyers, or ads from Custom Cast/Heritage/Texas Miniatures?

I'm a little sleepy still, so my brain is not fully-functional.  I notice you're from Nevada (TX), which is a stone's throw away from Dallas.  Another old-lead collector (OberSarge on eBay) lives in Garland.  Reaper Minis and [can't remember who else] is in Denton.  I think that another miniature company is located in Plano.  Is Heritage indirectly responsible for the concentration of miniatures in the DFW area?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:01 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Drifting off-topic,  since the JG forum isn't the place to discuss this . . .

John - I'm not sure if you are scolding me for my wandering answer to Shane's question or apologizing for egging me on.  :wink:

I do not have any adds or promotional material from my days with Heritage Models.

I suspect that you are right about the influence Heritage had on miniatures (and gaming in general) in the DFW area.  There were a lot of talented people associated with that company that have gone on to do other things.  Some of the former employees/contractors that spun off to form new companies include Craig Taylor of Yaquinto Games (defunct).   One of the sculptors, Matthew Bailey, from Texas Miniatures (defunct) is now in Houston and is involved in some new projects.  Reaper Miniatures has Heritage connections through Al Perry.  The Games Unique chain (now down to 1 store in Austin) is owned by Howard Barasch.  Ken Ray and David Newport have authored miniature rules.  David Helber, a former sculptor, runs a popular Victorian/Edwardian era miniatures web site.  I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:10 am 

Thanks for the information!  This type of information is impossible to track down and share.